1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make-up Thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Stacy in MA, May 1, 2014.

1. Stacy in MA

So we have threads on clothes going, one on passing, and even one specifically for eyeliner applied inside the eye, but I have yet to see one for make-up in general. Someplace for questions, advice, critiques, inspiration - that sort of thing.

I know this is a bit of a loaded topic - as a number of people have rightly pointed out in other threads no one needs make-up, and no one should ever be made to feel like they do. The way that women (historically) have been systematically convinced that they are lacking or incomplete or ugly by the beauty industry in the attempt to sell more product is shameful. Peer pressure all too often amplifies these hurtful messages. As someone with three daughters I am growing all too aware of these issues.

On the other hand, make-up can make you feel more confident and attractive and help you present your gender the way you wish to. It can be art, a wonderful creative outlet, and a great avenue for self expression. I hope this is the way this thread is taken.

To kick it off a bit of inspiration - I have been fascinated by this look since I first saw it in the Pentatonix Daft Punk Medley on Youtube. It's not exactly an everyday look :icon_wink , but I think I might try to duplicate it just for fun, or maybe come up with a look inspired by it.

[​IMG]

And two of Gweneth Paltrow from the amazing Kevin Aucoin - first as Audrey Hepburn and second as James Dean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is wonderfully stated Thank you.

now for me i need a sister to show me how to put on makeup with looking like a clown or an explosion at the cover girl factory :tears::roflmao::bang:

3. PossibleDesires

Out Status:
    All but family
    I love to apply make-up on my best friend and my sister/her friends and my girl friends! (They say I should become a make-up artist..ha! No. XD) I also put make-up on because it makes me feel comfortable and I don't get so self-conscious. Although I do keep it subtle etc.
    I love to play with different styles but my favourite must be the ''smokey'' look!
    [​IMG]

But I also play with bright colours and such, for e.g:
    [​IMG]

4. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Wow, I like that first pic.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of my favorite pics of me are without makeup or sometimes with like minimal foundation to cover any redness from shaving I HATE SHAVING).

Minimal is best in my opinion.

6. PossibleDesires

Out Status:
    All but family
    To get rid of the redness you should moisturise your skin and wash it with luke-warm water without soap. After shaving you should use cream that moisturises your skin; and you shouldn't use any cheap razors either but the good quality ones which won't damage your skin! Oh and one more thing, after shaving and moisturising your skin, don't conceal it with any make-up and just let the skin breathe!

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me I know this.

I use the mach 5 Gillette and this extra lubricating sensitive skin neutrogena and I'm still getting this.
    I don't do makeup afterwards because with a really good shave I think I look best without makeup.

Trust me having genetic male facial hair is one of the banes of MtFs everywhere.

8. Stacy in MA

Youtube has some great tutorials - just find a guru whose style suits you and play along at home :lol::lol:

Practice is definitely the key.

---------- Post added 1st May 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

Very pretty - I would definitely wear that out!

If I could do something like that I would create a place/occasion to wear it.

---------- Post added 1st May 2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

Ugghhhh - I know! I don't even try to apply make-up until at least an hour after I shave.

9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I can relate to this. I have ultra-sensitive skin and am meticulous about taking proper care of it these days, sparing no expense. I still get bad razor bumps, especially on the left side of my face (my good side :dry:slight_smile:.

One thing I have noticed helps is a change in my technique. Tried this just last night to very good results:

• Douse my face in ice water, including icing my "tough" areas (mostly chin & upper lip) directly with cubes.
    • Immediately apply refrigerated gel to face.
    • First shave, which is nothing but single strokes, made as smoothly as possible. Experience has taught me subtleties of direction for certain areas.
    • Very close inspection. During this, my nose is almost touching the glass.
    • Second dousing & gel application.
    • Second shave, which is really just maintenance. As before, try to stick the single, smooth strokes, where possible.
    • Rinse in tepid water. Pat face dry with soft cloth.
    • Moisturize.

Following this procedure gave me about the closest, smoothest shave with the least irritation of my adulthood. (Another tip: between shaves, I always store blades face down in about 1/16" of alcohol inside a sealed glass container. Keeps oxidation at bay and blades fresh for longer.)

10. Stacy in MA

Thanks! I'm going to have to try this next time I get to have some extended 'girl' time.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus you just used chemistry on me...

I need to go cry in a corner.

Mineral oil is better at prevention of oxidation (rust) however various alcohols (isopropyl) will do the trick due to its volatility and ease of drying.

Son of a bitch you learned me something. Wow.

12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

What's a big sis for? :wink:

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rub it in.

14. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Little sis responds with flatulent alcohol pun. :grin:

---

Back to makeup: I did the unthinkable and ordered some "falsies" (no, not boobs) at the same time as my wig. These just delivered, so will be trying some augmentation on the ol' lashes this weekend. (Too much homework to play right now.)

Any other girls have experience with falsies to share? My huge, brown eyes are really my best facial asset and want to see if I can bring them out even more. :slight_smile:

15. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely staying tuned with this thread!!!!

16. WillowRose

Me too. I gotta say, though, that the whole make-up thing scares me more than most anything else about transitioning. I just have absolutely no experience with it, and none of the women in my family ever used make-up other than lipstick. When I go to the drugstore and look at the vast wall covered with cosmetics, I practically break out in a sweat. (And then I start muttering curses at the destruction wrought by the "beauty-industrial complex")

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Beating a dead horse here, but remember you have one of the transperson's most essential tools a keystroke away. As long as Youtube is on the internet, the curious and underinformed need not despair. :slight_smile:

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need some isopropyl alcohol now... Although chemically pure would be a better desiccant for the blade.

19. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Got a no-makeup album pic pending. Ugh, why do I do this to my self-esteem...

*is fan of makeup on self*

Little sis, get over it. You got schooled. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I didn't. My expertise is in polymers not metallurgy.