1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition requirements

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by disneyfan, May 1, 2014.

1. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey everyone, I have a question. Do different states have different requirements for transition surgery? Or is there just one set of guidelines for every state?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, it depends on what track that you decide to take with your transition. There is the informed consent model of obtaining hormones now, which means that you do not need to see a mental health professional to be able to start hormones. There are not very many of these clinics open yet, since this is a fairly new model.

So, most mental health professionals follow the model linked in this thread here. This is really the closest thing that there is to a "set in stone" way of transitioning. Not everybody follows this though.

When it comes to transition, there really is no set path, you just have to research your area and see what your area offers and does not offer.

I would be sure to look into the laws for name changes (since those can differ by county), and look into if you can get the gender marker on your ID changed, and what you will have to do to make that happen (since that does differ by state).

3. disneyfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be sure to look around thoroughly. While laws and regulations vary from state to state, I don't know how up to date a lot of trans related websites are about changing policies and the like.

I've heard from people who attended the Creating Change conference in Houston (I think) this year that you don't need proof of surgery to get your gender marker changed. However, I don't know if that just pertains to Social Security or if it's the whole nine (IDs, SSN, Passports, Birth certificates ETC). So I'd recommend looking into that as well.

If you find a gender therapist, they could probably inform you more on the legal ramifications of things better and probably supply you with the most up to date information.