1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you educate others on gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheFSM, May 2, 2014.

1. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically. I tell my friends that I am bi. I don't feel like talking about gender to them. for the same reason I do not talk about how I feel about my own gender a lot.
    My friends and I talked about FTMs once. One of them said something like "i didn't know she wanted to become a boy" About a guy in our class. Yeah he is not really out about it to everyone but i my opinion when you know someone is a boy you say he. I told them that and it was fine, and they understood. But I am scared that they won't be open about the whole non-binary thing. I know a few that are and I talk to them about it. but still...
    What do you do? What are your experiences with telling people about non-binary gender? Do you think it is our role to educate others? Do you think we have the power to do so?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom and brother aren't receptive to discussing gender or sexual orientation.
    I've debated them with the word fag. My mom seemed to have gotten it but my brother likes using it as an insult Not to gay people but anyone he perceives as weak or weird.

I mean I've called them out. My mom seemed to have gotten it but it still slips.

But in terms of gender or transgender... it's either boy girl or tranny (with an intonation of disdain)

3. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ouch, I am sorry or you :/ I hope they will understand someday... We are here for you <3

4. Emulator

I don't talk to anyone about gender at all after what happened recently. Let's just say...it was a fail at testing the waters on coming out.
    For one, they don't know what 'transgender' means, much less 'non-binary gender'.

5. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Holy shit, okay I eel like I am living a very privileged lie because of the people surrounding me. I wish you all luck with those who are around you.
    Right now I feel like sadly we have to educate those around us. I guess In a perfect world we would learn more about gender and sexuality from our parents or teaches, or some other resources. I personally got all my gender ed from the dearest of youtubers ...
    Feel free to add your opinions and experiences.

6. Caillin

To family members ill try and educate them but to friends id most likely tell them they can ask some questions but then go do some research on their own time and then they can ask as many questions unless they started to get offensive. I dont think its my job to teach people entirely about it if they can easily access the internet. I did try teaching a friend about it it totally fucking backfired on me and hes even part of the LGBTQ community :bang:

7. Just Jess

I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of thinking about it that way. Educating is something I do with like math problems where there's a definite answer. Gender is a really subjective thing, where it's not terribly important that the other person agree with me and it's actually a good thing if they reach their own conclusions. And I am learning a lot about this stuff too every day, especially as I get to experience directly just how much of all this nonsense is hormonal and how much is experience. Even then a lot of the two are getting intertwined so I can't tell them apart.

Sure there are agreed upon definitions or "social constructs" as people are fond of calling them, but even those are always being debated. I honestly hope we never have answers that are set in stone, because people are changing all the time. The debate is good for us. And you can't "educate" someone you are arguing with; that feels like just a cheater way to force them to agree with you instead.

I do talk to people about gender that are interested in it. Gender and sexuality. But most people, I don't need their agreement, I just need their respect. And respect comes from being self confident and good at whatever it is I do.

8. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No anymore, I give up.

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do it, especially when I'm criticized because of my gender expression. I'm a woman but, for example, usually I won't shave, won't behave in a typically female manner and I have short hair. I emphasize on the difference between sex and gender and how gender is a social construct, which anyone can question and choose their own identity and expression.
    The responses range from "what crap is this, there are only girls and boys" to "hmm... ok... *changes subject*" which is frustrating.

10. elishe248

Out Status:
    Some people
    I always try to educate, but that is because I am the only one at all out at my school and I feel a responsibility to be visible for the closet cases around me. The choice about whether to try to educate people is your own, but if it's advice you're looking for, I think you should. The way the queer community gains acceptance is through coming out and firmly and patiently demanding understanding. So, if you are comfortable with that, I think you should try to help people understand.

11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I find it necessary and safe to do so, I'll educate anyone. I told off a former Secretary General of the UN regarding female genital mutilation. If someone is being stupid, they're fair game for a little forced education whether pauper or Pope. :wink:

12. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like your perspective on it. i think it is a good way to go on about it:thumbsup:

I get what you are saying. But I am mostly talking about "educating" people that think that gender is binary. I do not think that gender has a lot of rights and wrongs. But i think that you should let anyone label themselves as they want to. And I am shure it is not binary.

YEs! that sound good :slight_smile: I think that is the way to go!

I guess you are right, I will do my best!

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Know your audience about sums up my sentiments.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hence why I don't say shit to my family. I've reported being shot down on easter discussing Frozen's underlying messages and well...

Yea not telling family.

15. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

As far as I'm concerned, my family doesn't exist right now. I realize that sounds extremely cold and heartless, but it's truly the only way I've yet found for me to be able to cope with this strange journey that I am on. If only I had some hope that there would be some understanding and acceptance, would be a 180• proposition for me. But when you have a family where any number of unsolicited conversations begin "You know, I'm not [enter bigotry here], but...", and where typical solution to an issue is to try to pray it away, I'm hep enough to know I'd be wasting my breath.

17. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah that seems like good advice :slight_smile:

18. Calix

I work in a hospital so it's already supposed to be open to equality and diversity. So it's fairly easy to educate others in my workplace or other departments I have to visit. I haven't broached the topic of non-binary though, will have too next time transgender comes up - which it does a lot around me xD

I'm also part of the LGBT group in my workplace and we work to raise awareness. Before I joined they never had a transgender voice so I'm going out of my way to get it more known. Next week is a week of E&D stuff and one day is LGBT. I have some posters and general guidance stuff planned out. I want to try and get something on non-binary people but haven't managed it so far. My own knowledge is embarrassingly lacking :/

19. BelleFromHell

Well, my mom thinks bisexual people are gay people trying to be 'special snowflakes,' so I don't even want to know what she thinks about non-binary people.

Sorry, I don't have the guts to educate her. :frowning2:

20. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I used to but now there is no point,why should I explain something to people who never listen? ,I could explain everything I know from research and experiance but no one takes me seriously .