1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened Yesterday

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sherlock, May 3, 2014.

1. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    It was my uncle's birthday and I had to go out with the family for hotpot. As some of you know, I have recently acquired a somehow radical haircut and my extended family has yet to see it. So I went into the restaurant, still dressed in my school uniform. My uncle said: "Hey handsome", which is all good...very good, in fact...

And then the waitress came and served the table. She addressed me as "sir" even though I was in my school uniform. (Note: I go to a very famous girls' high school with a highly recognizable uniform. Most people from the other end of the island readily recognize it). It would have been totally fine if not for the presence of my entire family, but my mother gets very annoyed when that happens, so she said:
    "The sashimi is for this young lady here." in a rather pointed tone.

I played along, shrugging and giving an embarrassed little smile.
    My uncle said: "You know, if you would dress more femininely this wouldn't happen."
    I said: "Well dresses aren't really my thing, so I'll just stick to what I wear for now"

Then my uncle turned to me and spoke in a hushed tone. He said: "Now, you wouldn't happen to be a homosexual, would you?"
    "No" I replied. "I'm not."
    "I'm so relieved."

Relieved they were. In fact they were so relieved they immediately made a point to discuss the (potential but not-yet) marriage of my cousin to his girlfriend, and that young people should all go and get married before they turn thirty.

It was all very ironically funny and I decided to finish my meal in silence.