1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't even know.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by phantomtroupe, May 7, 2014.

1. phantomtroupe

I literally typed into google resources for gender identity two minutes ago and this forum came up. So I'm just gonna vent and hope someone can help me out.

Lately I've seriously been considering I"m transgender due to a cultivation of things. Over a year ago a classmate told me about Tumblr, which is where I found out there were a ton of people who discussed gender very frequently. I guess reading through all of that started to get me thinking. Then, just as I was starting to warm up to the idea of androgony, a classmate came out as transgender. I read through the reactions to his transition on facebook and it honestly scared me. At the same time though, I was a little jealous. I try looking up or asking people how they knew they were transgender and they all respond with "I just knew". It's really pissing me off.

I've been a tomboy for as long as I can remember. I barely had any female friends in elementary school. Whenever my brother and I would play pretend, it didn't even occur to me to pretend as a girl. It made me happy that he didn't care.

I've always hated being as small as I am. It's frustrating being petite because no one takes you seriously. I want to gain muscle, especially in my shoulders/arms. I'm also extremely envious of guys who can go topless and wish I didn't have my breasts. I'd pass by boys and wish I could live their life.

After graduating I cut my hair short and stopped buying "girl clothes". My entire family has complained about it and several of my guy friends have told me I look bad with short hair.

Long story short, I feel like it's all there. The "signs" or "proof" that I'm transgender. And I'm happier with my shorter hair and boyish clothes now. But I just can't accept it I guess. I don't know, it's really confusing and I didn't think before I wrote all this out. I haven't told anyone I've been thinking these things because I don't know if it's true. I've considered seeing a therapist but I'm afraid they won't be able to help.

2. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah, wait up- there's "signs" and "proof" of being transgender? Why didn't anyone tell me this before? It would have made things a whole lot easier!

:lol: Joking. Being transgender really is just a feeling, but for most people, it does require soul-searching. The answer "I just knew" does make sense, (although I agree that it's a pretty unhelpful answer), but it depends on the way you look at it. How to really find out if you're transgender is not too analyze your past and look for things to prove that you're trans- it's to think about how you feel and what you want right now. It doesn't mean that as soon as all transgender people hear the term "transgender" they are immediately like, "that's me!" But it's also not like there's some kind of test you take to determine how trans you are.

See what I'm getting at?

This, I'd be really interested for you to elaborate on. What is it you want about their life?

---------- Post added 7th May 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Oh, and seeing a therapist can actually be pretty helpful if that's what you want. I've only gone once so far but even talking to someone about everything you're feeling can make things much more clear in your mind.