1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduation Outfit

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GayNurse95, May 7, 2014.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm kinda nervous that my parents might make me wear girly clothing. I accept the fact I am female, but I like cross dressing. On a regular basis. For formal occasions, I do have a suit and a tie I secretly bought.
    I did cross dress a lot in 7th and 8th grade, but I was forced to wear more feminine clothes. My parents said it was "unnatural" and "didn't look pretty".
    So, I was in clothes I didn't really like.
    They are very conservative and want me to fulfill gender roles (Not going to happen, God made me a lesbian for a good reason).
    How do I manage this?
    P.S. I am 18, but live under their rules. Its their house!

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No, it's also yours.

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... I didn't attend graduation for this very reason, plus going to a religious school, I wasn't allowed to wear the men's graduation gown (blue) but had to get white (girls).

You might opt out... Or you might compromise if they're really gonna freak and ask for a women's suit.

4. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still have to follow the rules or I get punished. I can't wear rainbow.

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Punished? *twitch*

6. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As much as I appreciate your sentiment, that's not really true.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

*Middle Ages*

Unfortunately, maybe you're right :confused:

8. stormborn

i'm in the same boat :/ my mother is hand making my graduation dress. ugh. but, i'm here with you (*hug*)

try telling them you don't feel comfortable in the clothes they want you to wear, maybe? and that you'd prefer pants/a dress shirt? maybe somehow meet them in the middle?

9. Manta

Hmm, that's tricky. My parents also have a thing about wearing dresses for formal occasions. I always wear spandex shorts underneath when I have to wear dresses and that makes them more comfortable for me if you absolutely can't get out of wearing a dress.

Depending on the location for your graduation you can also say you're worried about the audience seeing up your dress/graduation gown if it has an opening towards the bottom. Another reason you could site is that with the gown on no one will see what's underneath anyway. You'll be taking almost all your pictures in the gown and wearing it for a long period of time, so it makes sense to have something comfortable on underneath. If they want to take picture of you in a dress, offering to do a separate graduation 'photo shoot' my be a way to compromise.