1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DerScott, May 7, 2014.

1. DerScott

Hi everyone, I am not very good at this but I'll try:

It took me a long time to work up the courage, but at the urging of a close friend, I saw a counselor about some questions I had about myself. We talked and then I spent almost two sessions with bubble tests with him. Anyway, he gave me the results of the tests and his analysis. He said I have "gender dysphoria" and anxiety about it. To the best of my knowledge, he never asked me directly when we met about this.

To see me, I am male; and really thought I would come away with a diagnosis of having a fun, occasional fetish. This is something completely different.

Does this mean that I will never be happy unless I take hormones, have surgery and live as a woman full-time? I know there's lots of information out there but I hesitate to read too much on the internet because I don't know what's credible.

I'm not depressed or anything, just perplexed and not really sure where to go with this. I have a professional career and would rather nobody really know about any of this. It might be different if I could move 1000 miles away, have some kind of non-office career and not worry about these things. But I can't. And oh, to make matters more complicated, I am married.

To those of you that have any similar experiences with issues/challenges, etc like this, I would love to know how you managed? I didn't really know what to ask him yet.

I thought this may be a good place to start. I even made Trinity my avatar; she's pretty hot. lol Anyway, he told me to stay positive, so I am. Thanks in advance,

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, he did WHAT?

I've just skimmed through your post backlog and it appears until literally this post you were basically confident you were gay...

Were you actually even questioning your gender before seeing this guy?

3. Calix

:confused: if you don't really agree and feel like a guy, then don't worry about what this guy says.

4. stormborn

that's... very odd. usually therapists won't ever tell you that you are something, they usually let you reach the conclusion by yourself, i think...

maybe try someone else.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree. For one thing, rarely are the tests definitive. For another, it's highly directive and likely a pretty serious blunder for the therapist to simply tell you what your issues are based on a test like that.

I think you'd be best to see someone else. Please don't assume you have to suddenly run out and make radical, permanent changes to who you are, particularly if what you're being told bears little to no correlation to what you intuitively feel.