1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Explain Away Having a Binder

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Magnus Bane, May 7, 2014.

1. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    One of my non-binary friends helped me purchase a chest binder, and I've worn it around school a couple of times. However, it now needs to be washed, and our home washer isn't capable of doing small loads, and I'm lazy and don't feel up to spending an hour trying to wash it by hand.
    I need to find a casual way to drop it into conversation with my Mom, and to know good low-impact things to say if she asks. She's really good about things like helping me buy shirts in the Men's section, and voluntarily buying me a suit jacket at Goodwill, but I'm not ready to be out to her yet. I feel like if I mention, "oh, could you put this in the fragile load?" she'd go with it, but I don't know what I'd say if she asked why I had it. I know one of my friends [lolz ... I say "one" of my friends...all my gender-nonconforming friends = the 2 people I just mentioned...sigh] had theirs for cosplay, but since I want to wear it on a more frequent basis, and get it washed, I can't explain it that way.
    I've considered, if she asks, saying something like: "It's a binder. I don't really feel comfortable with the way my body looks, and I wanted to try something different" but that sounds like BS...and it is... If she asks if I'm trans I plan to just be evasive like "You expect me to know what my gender is?! It isn't always obvious y'know".
    Any suggestions on how to explain away the new addition to the laundry? Thanks, all!

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it the tank top kind or the other kind?

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could do your own laundry.

4. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not hard to wash stuff by hand. Use Woolite and cold water. Soak it and gently squeeze the suds into the fabric. Only takes a few minutes. Rinse with more cold water and hang dry. Simple :thumbsup:

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Just say it's a special compression sports bra or tank top for 'working out'.

6. Magnus Bane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's the tank top kind. These seem like good suggestions. "Special compression top" sounds perfectly vague enough to get by on with.
    Thanks guys!!

7. Colorful13

What I would do is say it is to make your chest smaller. Not for transsexuals if your not ready to tell her but just to come down a size or two. Do you think she'll buy that?

8. Niko

Do you cosplay? Cause you could always use that excuse too if you do.