1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ftm clothing for the top half

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, May 8, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

Surprisingly despite being 5ft 3", I have managed to find men's trousers that fit me reasonably well. Ok, they might not be as loose fitting as they would on a cis guy but I find close fitting preferable to loose fitting. At least they look like they fit me. This brings me to the point of this post. I've tried men's xxs in shirts and hoodies but they're too big on the sleeves and shoulders :frowning2: I just feel ridiculous in them because I look like a 12 year old boy drowning in clothes that are too big for me. I don't really want to have to lower myself to the boys section. I'm 26 for fuck's sake. I want shirts/hoodies/t-shirts to fit me. Any advice? I have even considered going back to shopping in the women's section for hoodies because at least they fit me and if I could get them in a unisex colour, it's got to be better than feeling like a stupid school boy. Does anyone know where I could get smaller men's shirts?

2. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just Googled it up- Uniqlo has stores in the UK, and also they have this online store. Being an Asian brand they probably do make shirts for smaller men. Maybe go check that out?
    Also, I think the women's section is in fact a good idea. There are always unisex garments that fit well. Boys' section is also a good place to start.

3. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    You'd be surprised what sort of hidden treasures you can find in the boys department. It's not all legos and power rangers.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Asian retailers! Good idea! Forgot about that. Does anyone have any others they can list that they have actually ordered from and know them to be of good quality?

The thing is about boys clothing, the fabric tends to be a bit flimsy and they don't look as sturdy as men's. The graphics are so cheesy as well. They make me want to cringe.

5. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've shopped at Uniqlo many times, and because I'm not out yet I mostly buy masculine-looking items from the women's section, but the quality is splendid. Also, these are some of my most passable clothes...
    Shirts: I currently have 1 Oxford, 1 Broadcloth, 1 Chambray and 1 Denim.
    Hoodies: Dark grey zipper hoodie jacket.
    T-shirts: Please do look for those in the men's section.
    http://www.fashionbeans.com/2014/5-japanese-clothing-brands-you-should-know/

Also, from the top of my head there's also Zara.

6. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks Sherlock. They have all the body measurements on uniqlo so I will have to measure/get someone to measure me (hmmm who would do that) and see if their shirts would fit me better.

I have to admit, buying women's clothing however masculine makes me a bit dysphoric but if it looked convincing enough to be men's and actually fitted me, then I suppose I would give the women's section a chance. The only thing is, won't the shirts be tailored for a woman's shape when I'm trying NOT to look female? Any experience with wearing women's clothes and still looking masculine?

7. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    It takes some skill. Look for clothes with... a straight cut. Not a curve-emphasising one. Usually the difference between men's clothes and women's clothes that I buy is the tag :slight_smile:
    Go for clothes that don't have weird ornaments. Blue and black are the best choices if you buy them from the women's department.
    In my profile there are a few pics of me. All wearing supposedly women's clothes.

8. SelfMade07

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get my clothes from nike and mma t-shirts like affliction, venom, american fighter, gracie etc.. DO NOT get under armour, they make me feel so dysphoric, but the others aren't tight at all, and they fit me perfect, i'm pre T and i pass very well, i'm 5'4 so there isnt much of a difference in both of our height. I hope this helped you!

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gap makes some masculine-looking women's clothes.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

uniqlo men's shirts in xs are still to big for me :frowning2: If it was just the sleeve length I wouldn't mind but it's the sleeve width and the shoulder width. I don't know about masculine looking women's clothes. Are they really going to help me pass or just make me look like a masculine looking woman. I could give it a go but I don't want to waste money on clothes that aren't any use at helping me pass :-/ Maybe I will have to look for boys clothing after all :frowning2:

11. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hang on. I took some pictures of myself wearing said clothes.
    Never thought I'd enter the modelling biz-oh wait, where can I upload it without being banned?

#11 sherlock, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's wrong with boy's if it looks just like men's?

13. anonym

anonym Guest

I wouldn't mind boys if it looked good quality fabric but they just never seem crisp enough. :frowning2: I am getting quite down now because I can't find anywhere that sells men's shirts small enough for me. :tears:

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 05:22 PM ----------

Women's shirts have darts in the back so they cinch in at the waist :frowning2:

14. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Moderating! More pictures to come in my album. For now...
    http://ppt.cc/76SK
    This good enough? :slight_smile:

Oh-and I am 5'7", 55 kgs (ish). I wear M...if sizing's the same over there

#14 sherlock, May 9, 2014
  15. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks Sherlock. If you haven't already, do you think you could you put up a photo of you wearing the shirt taken from the back? I have been looking at women's shirts but keep noticing the darts in the back that cinch in at the waist and worrying about how that will look. Also, hope you don't mind me asking but are you wearing a binder in the photos?

16. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Binder...nope...*argh* I have yet to get one. :frowning2:
    It's very difficult since I am not legally an adult yet and living with my family.
    As for the back part, it's a bit difficult since I can't take a photo from that angle. But it's just a normal shirt. I don't recall any strange structures on the back. I think it's completely smooth.

#16 sherlock, May 9, 2014
  17. anonym

anonym Guest

This is what I mean about the difference between a man's shirt and a woman's shirt. From the front, it's hard to tell the difference but look at the back >MEN Fine Poplin Long Sleeve Shirt A*-*UNIQLO*UK*Online*fashion*store
    The men's is plain. It is straight up and down.
    WOMEN Broadcloth Long Sleeve Shirt*-*UNIQLO*UK*Online*fashion*store
    The women's has darts in the back which pulls the fabric in at the waist, emphasizing the hour glass figure.

That is what bothers me.

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 06:05 PM ----------

And I don't like the little buttons on collars either. Just find them annoying

18. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pictures moderated!

19. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Anonym, the pictures in my profile are already moderated. What do you think?