1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cope with being misgendered?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Calix, May 8, 2014.

1. Calix

Just wondering really. I was called ma'am yesterday and referred to as a lady today. So wondering if I should just correct them or not give a shit (even though I really do) ???

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the situation...

If I know I'll not see them again I won't usually bother but if I'm going to see them regularly or if I'll be around them for some time I will usually correct them.

3. stormborn

^ same

4. Techno Kid

I just go in a cocoon of pure angst and sadness. :dry:
    I don't see my parents ever changing so I guess that's why I don't speak up... besides it would be like a million times a day...

I should start correcting my friends though. : 3

#4 Techno Kid, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. Just Jess

I'll correct friends and people who should know, because with them it's different. I say "correct" but I'm usually really nice about it - "it would make my day if you said 'ma'am' ". Or a playful nudge or something. The reason they say he is different; they're just used to me one way. A lot of them on their own have tried to use my name and "she". At first everyone's a little resistant and I hear out their objections, but when they get to know me all over again so to speak, they are usually supportive. So no effort here really. It doesn't really bother me when it's just them. Just as long as they don't "he" in front of other people when I am en femme, that feels so so bad :frowning2:

If it's like McDonalds or something, it sucks when I get sir as far as the way it makes me feel, but at the same time it's nice to know I have reliable honest feedback whenever I need it. So I treat it like a good thing I guess. When I'm passing people will say "ma'am", even if they know I'm trans, just on their own. It helps me when I try different things to know what works and what doesn't. My friends can't really help in this department since they see me change gradually.