1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Colorful13, May 8, 2014.

1. Colorful13

I am a transsexual male (FTM) and Im worried about passing, when I get to that stage. my friends call me Logan instead of Lillian, a step forward but still need to get used to my trans name. I have the clothing down but Im still dysphoric about my facial impression as a guy. I saw things like Crossplay but I didn't know if that was to look more masculine or just for fun, like for those anime conventions. How do you make your face look more like a man's would?

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

*if you're a FTM you're not lesbian but straight*

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

*seconding. DUDE. You're not a lesbian. You're a straight guy. FTM doesn't mean big mega super butch lesbian. Simply put, you're a guy.*

That being said, not much you can do about face structure. If you do end up seeking out HRT, testosterone will help lean out your face but I know at 13, that's gonna be a long way off.

If you're careful about hair, it can make a huge difference. I actually didn't pass as a guy until after I got a hair cut. Buzz cut? Frankly, probably not gonna make you look masculine but more like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta. That hair you see to your left is actually a pixie cut that I just style up with gel. (btw, gel is your best friend).

At your age, a lot of guys do have rounder faces and look young so I don't think you're gonna run into a lot of problems. But note, please don't use fake facial hair (it's obvious) or mascara to color peach fuzz. Just go clean-shaven. It's fine.

The key is not to dress like a cosplayer but to dress as you would. Cosplaying isn't necessarily designed to make someone "pass" as a guy (though I do have a female friend who makes a very convincing guy when she crossplays), but to express. You're going for authentic.

Honestly? I basically just cut my hair, started wearing men's clothing (key's finding something that flatters your body type and disguises curves- button down shirts are something I'm fond of), binded my chest (if you decide to do this, either buy a good sports bra or a reputable binder from a place like Underworks. No bandages), and began packing. It takes a while to get used to things.

For me, it helped to observe other guys and get a sense of how they acted. And that's a huge thing. You're not going to be acting like everyone else but the truth is, many times men and women do use different hand gestures, have a different style of walking, etc. Socialized behaviors and your key is not to copy but to emulate.

There's a lot that goes into it and I think the key's just giving it time and being able to adapt.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

x2

5. Caillin

Ok I just have to get one thing out of the way you cant be male and identify as lesbian. Lesbian means a women liking women when you identify as male you are not female so that would make you straight...

Now thats out of the way for passing a good masculine haircut can really help andfor clothes I would just shop at the boys section and see what looks good on you and what doesnt

---------- Post added 8th May 2014 at 02:42 PM ----------

x3

#5 Caillin, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. Colorful13

Thank you for your tips, and for the gender, orientation thing, I suck at using technology and can't figure out how to work my computer and change from lesbian to straight:rolle: lol.

7. Caillin

Oh you can just go to your profile "about me" section and it should be right there and click on the pencil to edit it.

8. Colorful13

never mind

---------- Post added 8th May 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

Thank you Caillin

9. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Your profile -> About Me -> Near sexual orientation there's a pencil, click on it -> write "straight".

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 12:02 AM ----------

Just realised you've already done :thumbsup:

10. Caillin

:thumbsup: no problem