1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 Myths About Transgender People

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Techno Kid, May 10, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once again I find myself asking "Why the hell did I read the comments section!?"

3. Techno Kid

I just read the top of it, does it get really bad? :frowning2:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mainly just one or two RADFEMs and general idiots...not as bad as a lot of places but still...

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't see comments on my phone but I can imagine...

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't see the comments. I guess I should be thankful. Okay, now I've given myself a fit of laughter. People call me eccentric, but I don't think they know the definition of the word. "Everyone is special is just another way of saying nobody is." When I was a teen I used to say everyone is f**ked up in their own way. Honestly, I don't fully understand myth 6. I accept/believe that some trans people don't feel body dysphoria. As alien as that seems to me.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you've got the usual misgendering, calling straight FtM people lesbians...then you have this gem:

"And I also hope that the voices of women, born women, with wombs and sacred blood mysteries, will be recognized and heard. I have seen several instances of MTF transgendered people attempting to control or limit or invade women's space, and that is still male-centered behavior. In fact, I find the basic personality traits and behaviors don't change much after the surgery. While the body may have been altered to look female, the mind & brain and hormonal systems (and sense of entitlement) are still male. And vice versa."

This coming after a comment from the same user about how they know MANY trans people and NONE of them are happy even after transition. Then told the story of how someone transitioned to run away from their old life and wasn't happy...

You've got comments about how someone went on Yahoo answers and was told be a bunch of trans women how proud they were of tricking 'straight men' into sex...

"I can hardly think of a political ideology more damaging to women than transgenderism."

""everyone has the right to be male or female without regard to their sex" LOL! Hey, we have the right to be male today. Bring the bigger paycheck to my bossman desk right now, Missy, and don't forget to bring me tea! We are menz now and can't oppress ourselves, the patriarchy is dead! Thank you, trannies!"

People disgust me...

8. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It looks like a total shit storm. Then again I don't know what they were expecting, it's a sensitive topic.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminds me of the story I read about the girl in Maine who won a lawsuit in school.

The responses were repugnant to say the least. Yes I commented on it. Yes I was met with vitriol and hate.

And people wonder why a lot of us never come out.

10. Techno Kid

I agree! People need to learn to respect people different from themselves. :frowning2:

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now I'm almost certain I shouldn't look at the comments. Humanity continues to amaze me with the ignorance displayed. What we have is a serious social problem with empathy. Too many people are ignorant and refuse to learn.

I'll assume that it's a guy with a socially-enforced idealised fantasy image of women. Real women shouldn't be a mystery. I believe there's less difference between men and woman, than most people WANT to believe. Yahoo Answers? Well, that place has some trolls. Does he believe EVERYTHING that he reads on the internet? And people don't report every one of their little happy things to the internet. I don't have a FaceBook, but my friend said that some people only use it to complain. For example; "BAWWW, my parents bought me a netbook for college, but they didn't get me the new iPhone! They MUST hate me! They're the worst parents in the world! I'm going to fire them! They had the nerve to call me unreasonable! I'm in tears! Ignore that ford focus they bought me last week." Next week I'll discuss the entitlement problem... or maybe not.

Hell, those comments you shared here... that commenter guy sure spewed some nonsense! Did he major in LGBT studies? Or even PSYCHOLOGY. How does this idiot (me), know more than this so-called expert? I suppose it helps that I have first-hand experience of being trans, bisexual, and the joy that is bipolar 1 with psychotic features. I had one doctor try to convince me that my mental disorder was the reason I wanted to "become a guy." BECOME. WTF. I was born a guy with a birth defect. Even some of the real experts don't understand. I take tablets every day, and I still believe I am a guy. It has made me more aware of dysphoria. Sometimes I (stupidly) think about stopping my medications and returning to the madness.

'Sacred blood mysteries'.... WTF. Is he talking about menstruation? Unless this is some mystery gathering of deranged women that dance naked in the forest and sacrifice animals to god(s). That is animal cruelty, and I am NOT cool with that. It is also an insult to pagans. He should make it clear that he is talking about menstruation!

The fear of the unknown could be cured with knowledge. I've had some bad experiences with cis people... do I hate all cis people? Nope. I do, however, hate willfully ignorant people. If I were a better person, I might feel sorry for them.

12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot even... brain doesn't compute. Oh my God. WTH. WTH. And how does someone get tricked into sex unless they're drunk?? And even if the girl didn't say anything until they were in a compromising situation, the guy still has the option of saying 'time out!' And WTH, I don't get paid more than any of my female colleagues! Argh!!!!! I can't even react maturely to this. :tantrum::bang::***:

13. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Thanks for the warning. I decided not to read them this time. The article was pretty cool though. :slight_smile:

14. Orange Bananas

Oh good gods the comments...

:bang:

15. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    After seeing your first comment, I had to read the comments. Made my blood boil!
    But yeah, I learned that a lot of the really radical feminists are very anti-trans.
    And there was a lot of trans hate in the women's student conference that took place last week!

16. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who doesn't believe in the rights of all women doesn't qualify as a feminist. -.-

<<< says the feminist

17. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I thank my parents that I was raised in a Middle state... and by that I mean, we have the kindness and manners of the southerners and the compassion and understanding of the northern states. a place where 75% of the voting populace are in favor for transgender equality. Where most people look at me and see "just another woman" and don't freak out when they see me in the women's room lol

18. Straw_berry

At least 70% of the comments are probably trolls...why did I read them Nyu~

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely do acknowledge that some radical feminists are really terrible. Because I like to stare into the abyss, I read Sheila Jeffreys. She believes "transgenderism" (which is a fucked up word in and of itself) is a "human rights" violation. I'm not going to do a "no true Scotsman" and say she's not a "real" radical feminist. She's just a radical feminist I disagree with.

At the same time, there are a lot of different kinds of radical feminism that are trans-affirmative. I wouldn't be a feminist myself if I didn't think trans and genderqueer people held a place in it. (*hug*)