1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testosterone.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FireSmoke, May 11, 2014.

1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Let's talk about that in according to America.

Is it possible to take testosterone (with a prescription of a doctor, obviously) for a little period of time, just to make my voice and my look more manly?

2. Sarcastic Luck

Voice will take 4-5 months. Facial structure is over the course of a few years if I recall right.

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deepened voice takes about 3 months to start and 2 years to finish. Facial features mostly are controlled by the body fat, which begins redistributing in about 3 months and can take 2 or so years to finish BUT fat will go back to a female distribution if you go off testosterone. If you just want it for a deepened voice, probably a year would be enough. :thumbsup:

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Yeah, I knew this fact.

What do you mean by "3 months to start and 2 years to finish?"

I want to depeen my voice for ever but I don't want to look like a FTM in transistion. I don't want to have a very strong manly voice but a deepened voice who's good for my outside look because I'm androgyne (I mean the look, not my gender identity). A manly voice but NOT to much.

5. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can take up to two years for your voice to fully break. But most people are good after 1 year and to avoid over-masculinization, I'd say not to take it for more than 1 year probably.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it depends. Everyone is different and you can't pick and choose what T gives you.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Do you know if I have testosterone for only 4-5 months, the voice become like before?

8. Sarcastic Luck

Once the voice drops, its stays dropped, and Daydreamer's comment isn't useless. It's the truth. What happens for one person might not happen for another, nor will things happen at the same time for everyone.

9. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How T effects everyone, and over what duration of time, differs from person to person. If it's your voice that most concerns you, some guys voices drop in a couple of months, some can take a year or more. Just something to consider. 4-5 months might be enough time for you, but it also might not be.

Also, I'm pretty sure once your voice breaks, it usually stays around that same pitch if you stop taking T.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I have already a "deepened" voice. Gates could confirm it because he listened my ####### some weeks ago.

So, let's say I'm taking testosterone. 4 months pass, and I realise my voice is deepened enough. Can I stop testosterone immediately? And my voice stays deepened, then?

11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep! The only issue is with the breaking; you wouldn't want to stop until it finishes bc otherwise you'll sound too young. But yeah, you can stop whenever and once your voice has finished breaking, it will stay that way forever. :thumbsup: I doubt that it'd take more than a year because you already have a low voice. :slight_smile:

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:slight_smile:

And is it possible to do that also in the UK besides in America? (you seems very informed). What doctor I have to apply to do that? A GP? He needs to diagnose me the gender dyshoria or not?

I'm confused :tears:

13. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Wait so does that mean that your voice goes all squeaky and high for 2 years? :icon_sad:

14. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries, bro! (*hug*) Yep, you can do this in the UK also but it will take longer. You'd go to a GP who would send you to a counselor to be diagnosed with gender dysphoria and then you could start hormones. I'm not sure of all the details so, you might ask Mia since she lives in the UK. Definitely, you won't tell them the the hormones are temporary for your voice bc they are strict there (in US, a lot of places don't even require a diagnosis to take hormones <<< bad idea). I'd imagine that it will take a year or so to go through the channels to get hormones in the UK but it'd be better to ask Mia or Holly for details about NHS.

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 04:08 PM ----------

It goes squeaky and high for 3-9 months depending upon your pitch when you start. My voice (and FireSmoke has a similarly low pitch) is nearly broken naturally so, I'd *imagine* that it would be cracking for probably 3-6 months. Once it breaks, though, it never goes higher again. How low your voice can get is also determined by your pitch sans T and how long you stay on it.

15. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Could it go so that your voice stays high and squeaky forever?

16. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... Unfortunately, yes... I have heard some guys who retained a higher voice after years of T. This isn't super common but for those who have naturally very, very high voices, yeah. At that point, vocal training could help.

17. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

:eek: That would be so awful... So it would stay even higher than it was before you started T?

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or changes would be minimal at best.

19. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But it's uncommon! This only happens really with very high voices!

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, the effects of T are different for each person. I've been on it a month, and I already have a lower voice and my face has become more masculine. It also depends on what dosage that they start you on.

Another thing to consider is that once you are on T, it is dangerous to stop. So, it is really not something that you want to start and stop. You actually can go through withdraw when you try to stop.