1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomboy and femininity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Young Blood, May 11, 2014.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but anyway...

I am a tomboy, but now that I'm older I find myself wanting to be a bit more feminine, but I know that I can't. It just seems out of place with me. My body frame and structure isn't exactly feminine and everytime I wear dresses and skirts I never feel completely comfortable in them. Nor do they seem to look right on me.

I feel like an awkward puzzle piece. It looks like it should fit, but doesn't fit quite right.

Anyone else make sense of this or felt anything close to this?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I feel the same with the dress situation. I don't like feminine clothes on me. It doesn't feel right & I'm uncomfortable in them. I avoid any situations where I have to wear a dress.

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah!
    But the thing is I want to be a bit more feminine now, but I know that I can't and it's making me a little depressed to be honest :/
    I don't know if this is making much sense :/

4. BelleFromHell

I'm the same way, tomboy femme pride!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :lol:

I'm also trying to make myself look more feminine. My grandma recently took me to Marshall's and she painted my nails a metallic pink color, so those are pluses, I guess.

I can't wear makeup because I have sensitive skin, but I'm thinking about getting some that's hypo-allergenic. The closest thing I have to makeup is Eos lip balm, but I have dry skin, so I have to wear it. Everyone tells me I don't need makeup, but I still think I should at least wear lipstick or eyeliner. I have naturally long eyelashes, so I don't need mascara. (THANK ARCEUS...I don't know HOW people take that shit off..)

I'm 5'8" and people always comment on my height when I first meet them. Apperantly, tallness is a feminine quality. Ironically, my crush is about 5'5" and I think she's the most beautiful woman in the world. <3 :grin:

---------- Post added 11th May 2014 at 06:17 PM ----------

No, it totally makes sense. What you're feeling is exactly what I'm feeling. I wish my feminine side could show more often. :frowning2:

5. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I hardly wear any makeup. My eyelashes are naturally long too and I'm also 5'8 :grin:
    I'm glad that someone else feels the same way though. I was starting to get a little worried I was the only one and I was starting to feel a little lost :confused:
    I'm trying to be more feminine, but it's not working out so well :confused:

6. BelleFromHell

My advice would be to save up an asston of money and go on a shopping spree. If you have any female friends/family members that want to go shopping, go with them.

I'm moving closer to my grandma's house soon, and that trip to Marshall's felt great, so that's pretty much what I plan on doing. :lol:

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, maybe I'll do that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Although I'm not a fan of shopping...another one of my amazing girly qualities that I seem to be lacking :/ But thanks!! :grin:

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were I born female, I well... I have no idea, but is hope if I was anything like I am now, I'd most certainly be a tomboy in terms of various preferences in music and entertainment.

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

How come you decided you want to be more feminine?

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Maybe to get more attention from guys and girls...? Maybe also because I feel like I have to because I'm a girl and I'm getting older so I can't really get away with the tomboy stuff anymore...I don't know :/ There just seems to be a part of me telling me that I need to :/

11. I think a big part of thinking that we look good in things is what we're used to seeing ourselves in.

If you presented feminine all the time you and everyone else would be used to it and probably wouldn't bat an eyelash. Because you've been presenting more masculine, that is normalized in how you and others see you.
    I think it just requires a bit of time and the opportunity to put your femininity out there.
    Doesn't have to be every minute of every day, but if you started introducing more feminine aspects of your appearance, soon you won't feel like you look strange anymore--because that's how you look when you do x, y or z thing you do all the time.

12. Rainbowchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing I do is I do my hair & makeup really nicely but I feel terribly uncomfortable in anything too feminine. My wardrobe consists of t shirts that I cut the sleeves off of & jean shorts, hats & just jeans. Tomboy for sure but I do wish sometimes it wouldn't bother me so much to dress girly but my style is what it is. Just be comfortable. You look best when your happy :slight_smile: my advice.

13. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel you. So much. I HATE dresses. My school uniform was a shirt and a skirt and I never felt comfortable wearing it. I don't even like "girly" looking tops and shirts much. When I absolutely must be feminine in my dressing (weddings and such things) I usually wear a salwar kameez which is a pretty nice compromise, actually :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But at the same time, I'd like to be slightly (very slightly) more feminine in my actions. Not in the way I look, but in the way I talk and behave.

14. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm...this is interesting. Thanks for posting this! :slight_smile:

15. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Same here. I hate dresses and skirts.
    I love jeans and hoodies. Just casual things.
    Sometimes I want to be more feminine but that's not me and I'm uncomfortable when dressing so or even wearing make up. I could be feminine if I want to.
    But currently, no thanks.

Do you wear earrings?
    I agree with thedreamwatch. Could be a start:grin:
    Good luck!

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If your motive for wanting to be more feminine because that is how you truly feel, that is one thing. If your motive for wanting to be more feminine is to appease others, and to appeal to their senses, that's another.

I agree with thedreamwatch. Gradually introducing new elements to your appearance is pretty easy, and if it doesn't work out, you can always say, "Well, I was just wanting to try it out." It's much easier to pass off a pair of sparkly earrings as opposed to being totally dolled up (outside of Halloween; it's the only day you can wear and be whoever you want, and nobody really bats an eye). Besides, gradual additions look more natural and you can see what works, bit by bit, piece by piece, and keep or drop anything that does work or that you do like.

Now then. If I may say so, I love women. I absolutely adore them, be they genetic, transitioned, or transgendered. It doesn't matter, because a woman's essence is remarkably attractive. Fancy eye lashes and bright lipstick may be nice, but it's just distracting from the most important piece of the "puzzle" (as you mentioned earlier), the center piece, your essence. You are as feminine as you believe yourself to be. If dressing the part made a woman, well, anyone could be a woman. It takes a compassion to love, a strength to endure, and a desire to comfort, all while maintaining an independent but collaborative basis, to assert yourself. You, my dear, are breathtaking, not only in exterior, but the more significant interior. You are what you believe, not what you wear.

Find your essence, nurture it, and allow it to consume all your doubts, your fears, your indecisiveness, and you will be radiating a natural glow, and possess a natural aptitude for femininity.

17. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is I can't be feminine. I do wear earrings, but they're not very girly earrings :/

---------- Post added 12th May 2014 at 11:26 AM ----------

Wow...I am in complete awe. That was really beautifully written! :eek: Thank you so much for posting this!
    I totally agree with you on the Halloween thing! I say this all the time that's why Halloween is my favourite time of year!!! :grin:

18. wanderinggirl

I think you'd get the most attention for being yourself. You seem to be torn between wanting to be more feminine and not feeling comfortable doing so.

There are also ways to femme up your wardrobe without making it really feminine, like wearing a button down with all the buttons buttoned and a necklace through the collar, or wearing a tanktop under a boyfriend blazer. I got tons more ideas because I've been struggling with the right balance too.

Find the balance that you feel comfortable with, not what others say you should wear.

19. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey thanks for that advice! That was quite helpful! :grin:

20. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could not agree with this statement more. A woman is a woman not because of her biology or because of how outwardly feminine she may be - it is her essence that makes her a woman. If you want to be more feminine for yourself, that's fine but don't change who you are just to attract others. You can be a tomboy and still be beautiful and stylish and attractive. I'm one of those people who genuinely loves femininity but even I like a girl to have some little tomboy trait here or there because it's endearing. The fact is that a lot of people are kind of the reverse, they prefer tomboys with a touch of more femininity to pop up every once in a while. I actually just got out of a bad friendship with a guy who thought that I was a tomboy and he point-blank told me that he didn't like feminine girls but only liked tomboys because to him, they seemed "smarter" and more self-sufficient (you can see why this ended badly...). While I don't agree that tomboys are superior (or inferior) to more feminine (or more masculine) women, it goes to show that a number of people have a preference for tomboys so, I wouldn't worry about this sort of thing at all.

Just be you and enjoy it. (*hug*)