1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transistioning on the job

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by earthlvr510, May 13, 2014.

1. earthlvr510

Hoping for a little advice from y'all out there that have, or are in the process of, transitioning. I start hormones next week (WOOO!) but I'm also working on finding a second job and have an interview today. My current job im pretty sure I know how to handle, there wicked accepting and I think once some changes start to show I can just talk to my manager no problem. What im debating though is whether to go into this interview and, if they give me the job which I think they will, should I make it clear that I want male pronouns? Should I wait until some changes start and then say something? I don't really pass well enough to be read as male no matter what I do, im 5'1" and scrawny so nothing I do totally works. I'd LOVE to get male pronouns at work but im afraid it would be too weird for customers to have everyone calling me he when in there eyes im a girl. Any ideas?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not about customers though is it. It's about other staff members.

If a customer uses female pronouns it's horrible, you can correct them if you like (if its weird it;s their problem) or you can ignore it, but you want your co-workers to use them because you will see them all the time.

Having said that, it's entirely up to you if you do it at interview. I mean I'm full time female so I would demand it, but if you're not I guess it depends how confident you are that they won't use it against you!

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that sort of environment, I'd hold back on pronouns for a bit...

Best of luck with hormones!