1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painfully obvious

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, May 13, 2014.

1. Minnie

My dad doesn't want me to be trans. I'm fairly sure. When I asked him if he could see me as his son he replied, "No, I was there when you were born, you're my daughter"; once when I said jokingly/anticipatingly(?) that I could be his son, he shook his head like I was talking nonsense; he's tried to blame these feelings on "simpler" things like my sexuality and depression; and he often tries to change the subject. I don't think he's ever said he's fine with the idea.
    I'm so depressed right now and am just lying in bed letting all the bad feelings sort themselves out. Fed up lying to myself.

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give you dad some time; you're his child and the idea of you changing has to be very scary to him.

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I agree with Gates. He's only afraid. He's scared by the "loss of his daughter" and he thinks she could become another person.

With time, he'll understand that you are already a guy and you aren't becoming a different person from who you are! But this needs time. Be patient (*hug*)

4. Minnie

Thanks. Still questioning from time to time but am so put off by being female (or even partly) because of expectations.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think he's ever said he's fine with the idea.

Do you know what, I am definitely trans but if my friend came to me and said 'do you think you could think of me as female' I might struggle with the concept for a while.

You know why? Because until someone tells me it's happening, I don't NEED to. Would it bother me if my friends were a different gender? Not in the least. Would it take a lot of getting used to? DEFINITELY!

You dad is unlikely to spend time considering and getting used to the idea if he doesn't think he has to! He might still struggle with it for ages and might deny it when you tell him for certain, but it doesn't mean he always will!