1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narritve Writing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kapsoki, May 13, 2014.

1. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was recently given a writing assignment for my English class; the prompt asking me what I had discovered in myself during primary(junior-high) school. Immediately, I thought, "Wow, this'll be easy. I'll just describe figuring out I was trans*," followed by, "Hmm, actually no, that's not easy."

One reason being the fact that I'm still rather confused about all this. It's mostly the same banal, bipolar rubbish of "I'm totally trans*; oh, maybe I'm not." I have difficulties asking myself questions pertaining to this and pinpointing a definitive explanation of why I think I am. I have just started to see a therapist about other issues and I plan on bringing this up next time I see him. But, that will be but for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have a few weeks for this assignment.

Second reason is that I'm not sure how the teacher respond, as I assume she reads all of these. Is this even appropriate to write for class? If it is, should I attempt to masquerade it in allegory and such? Our school is on the edge of the south [of the US], which is a region that stereotypically spawns prejudice. I suppose it's not as deterring as 'reason one' but still a problem. Worse case scenario, I have a teacher that hates me for ~15 more days.

Sorry for the banter :confused:, just had to get that out there.

2. ErenJaeger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, if you don't have to share the piece with the class, I say write whatever your beautiful heart dreams of. I used to make up fake stories for all of those kinds of essays, but when I did open up about my personal life (drunk mom and other things), my teacher typically tended to understand me more and even write little supportive comments on it afterwards. If you really aren't comfortable turning it in then perhaps you really should talk about something else. But it sounds like this topic is important to you! So consider going through with it anyway. (Not sure if you'd get in trouble for it as far as school-appropriateness goes, but it's never really been an issue at my school)

Freedom of speech baby!!! MURICA!

3. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, if I were you and I wasn't out to anyone yet (according to your profile), I would choose to write about something else. Maybe your teacher will be cool with it and not say anything, but maybe she will give your parents a concerned phonecall and s**t will really hit the fan. So yeah, if I were in your shoes I'd pick another topic, even if you have to make it up. You don't want to come out in a way that you aren't prepared for, be careful about who you share this kind of information with.

As for the confusion of "am I trans, am I not?" I can say that I completely feel where you are at there. I've been seeing a therapist for a few weeks myself for the same issue. Just don't rush anything.

Safety first.

4. Manta

I would write two essays. (Don't give me that look, I've actually done this!) Because these sorts of essays are mostly for your personal benefit, and its an exercise where you get out what you put in. So I'd write two. Write an honest paper about your struggles and growth this past year for your own benefit (you could even post it here!) and a second, "safe" essay.

Before you have to turn your paper in, you can test the waters with your teacher on how she will respond to LGBT issues and then hand her the one you feel the most comfortable with.

If you decide to hand in the paper about being trans*, you can attach a sticky note, preface it, or let her know before hand that you touched on some very personal subjects and would appreciate if she didn't show it to other staff members, etc.

5. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't have to share it with the class, no. I really don't know how I feel about it after reading Groosenator's post. I would like to think I'm comfortable writing this but I might wuss out of it and make something up instead. Conflicted.

If s*it does hit the fan, my parents will probably accept it. They're liberal and have many friends who happen to be gay. Besides that, you're probably right in that I'm not prepared to give information on the topic. I will practice safety If I do decide to pick it.

I had the same "write two essays" idea so I'm not giving you any looks :icon_wink, it's a good idea. I've already told her what I was writing was "kinda personal" so that's already out of the way.

6. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have the essay ready, I'll post it once I've converted it to text.

7. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ruby​
    An Allegory (None of this Actually Happened!)​

It was an autumn evening a few years ago when I met Ruby. I was walking along the sidewalk next to a park when I happened upon a bench. I decided to rest myself as I had been walking for some time before. As I sat down, I didn't notice her at first. It took until I heard a few scratches of calcite against the rough concrete to my right for me to finally notice her. It seems she had noticed me as soon as I sat down as she was staring at me by this time. Her hair was to her shoulders, it was wavy but had little curls at the end; it's color was bright red, almost radiating. Her skin was pale, almost as white as the chalk she had been using. Her eyes were a deep hazel with long, black eyelashes. Her gaze was analytically and her mouth acute, as if bored of this turn-of-events. I shifted uncomfortably and looked away after a few moments of this. I was too timid to start a conversation. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her gaze falter into a look of disappointment. She lifted herself off the ground and promptly left, leaving the chalk behind.​

It was the beginning of the following year. I hadn't had a haircut for several months now and it was starting to get long and shaggy. I didn't think much of it. My logic was: if I had long hair in the winter months, my head would be warmer.​

I had returned to the park to sled on the slopes with my younger sister. We were having a blast until I caught a glimpse of her again, Ruby, by the entrance. I got off my sled and told my little sister not to run off and that I'd be right back. ​

I walked up to the park entrance to talk to her. Before I could open my mouth she says:​

"Hi."

Her voice is very feminine, the tone sharp, precise, and piercing. I get slightly startled by this.​

By mistake, I say curtly,"Why are you here again?"

This seemed to put her off quite a bit. She lifts herself from the snow, saying nothing as she leaves once again. I didn't see her face this time but I imagine it's pretty gloomy and sullen.​

I passed by the park a few times after that to see if I could apologize for the misunderstanding but I never saw her. I eventually forgot about it altogether.​

During this time I dyed my hair red and let my hair grow out even more because cute little curls start appearing at the edges of my bangs. I also picked up shaving, as I thought my facial hair made me look ugly and scroungy.​

It wasn't until the previous fall that I saw Ruby again. I was asked by my mother to go to the convenience store, the shortest route going along a road by the park coincidentally. It was on the way back that I saw her across the road along the fence that borders the park. I did a double-take when I saw her, I had completely forgotten about her. I went over there to chat with her.​

I walked up behind her but she didn't hear or notice me. I tapped her shoulder but still to no avail. Suddenly she steps aside from what was diverting her attention. A chalk message.​

"Who are you?"

"I'm Connor, that guy-" I'm interrupted by a stern stare of 'That's not what I mean't.' She adds additional messages:

"What do you look like?"

and

"What do you act like?"

followed by

"Is this who you want to be?"

She gives me the chalk stick and walks away, similar to our previous encounters, leaving me to answer the questions.

8. Manta

I really like it! I think you expressed yourself beautifully and clearly. If you feel comfortable submitting it, I think it is a very worthy essay.

Because I like literature.... Does it meet whatever criteria your teacher set for length/structure? You slowly transitioned from past to present tense. What is the exact point in time the story is being related from?

9. Kapsoki

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks a lot! :icon_bigg

There weren't many boundaries our teacher set up, so thankfully, it very likely meets expectation. The exact point in time is based on when I first started questioning my gender, roughly 2 years ago.