1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender and UK Law - what are my rights at work

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, May 15, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

So I have actually just applied for a job :eek: and I'm starting to think it might be a good idea if I start reading up on what my rights are in the workplace. If I'm starting to apply for jobs and get offered one, I need to know how to deal with the situation and where to draw the line and when. I'm not a confrontational person by nature. I tend to do what I'm told and never argue. If someone treats me badly I usually just let them get away with it because I hate conflict and tend to see myself as someone who deserved to be treated badly. But this is going to have to change. I need to set things out as I mean to go on. If I let someone get away with calling me a tranny once, they'll do it again and if I haven't made it clear that it's not acceptable, then it will be too late and they'll keep pushing me.

Where would I find out what my rights are and what counts as harassment or abuse? When do you draw the line? When do you know when to walk? I have so many questions and I don't know where to get answers.

2. Manta

Into on your rights should be in a government archive where you can read the print for yourself. You can also probably find helpful summaries using a simple search on google. When you read those, you will probably get a better idea of where the government draws the line, and use that to think about your own tolerance and comfort levels.

You can be assertive without being confrontational. Just because someone else is looking for a fight doesn't mean you have to give them one in order to get your point across. I'm not confrontational either, so I feel your pain, but maybe try being assertive as opposed to confrontational. Its a different mentality but one I like.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK have a look at this for starters:

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/publications/rights_transgender_work.pdf

EHRC is always good, so try this page and see what else you can find on their site: EHRC - Transgender: what the law says

There's the dot gov page which should point you in the direction of the various acts that protect us: https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/creating-a-fairer-and-more-equal-society but I have to warn you that site is CRAP so don't expect to find a lot of useful info...

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Thank you I'll check that out