1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilt

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SamThes, May 15, 2014.

1. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, just thought I'd try to get this out. My religion is pretty firmly anti-transgender. But I was raised with my religion, and I love my religion, and I also love my family, who shares that religion with me and has no idea that I'm transgender. So now, ever since I started to question, I've been stuck feeling guilty about being transgender. All my decisions about what to do about being transgender are based around my religion, and I'm honestly making an effort to live this religion that I love and believe. I've accepted that I can't have hormones or surgery, no matter how much I want it, and that the most I can do is change my name (probably unofficially, since my family would never accept the name change) and try to pass once I've moved away from my family. But I feel in some ways like I'm betraying everything I believe in by being transgender, like it's something wrong with me. I've struggled with depression for a while, and I'm afraid that the guilt that I'm feeling just for being me is going to make that worse. All of that, plus the guilt of knowing that it would hurt my family if they knew. Is there a good way of coping with this guilt? I don't want to let it bring me down again, and I know that I can't change the way that I feel, although the guilt makes me doubt sometimes, and makes me think that maybe I'm just choosing this, or that it's just a phase, if that makes sense. Bleh, and I'm rambling, sorry. Anyway, any suggestions on how to deal with the guilt and doubt?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the guilt you are feeling is coming from two main places.

1. Your religion
    2. Concerns about your family.

Now I'm not about to tell you to lose your religion, it's not how I roll and I don't imagine it's something you are wanting to do either, so instead we will think of something else!

Let's just forget religion and family for a moment and think about what you want.

You've said you can't have surgery or hormones, so is there anything you CAN do, even if it's small, to make you feel more like the man you are, without conflicting with your beliefs?

3. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right now, I can wear guy's clothes around the house, since it's mostly just comfy guy's shorts and t-shirts. I can bind, and I do that when the dysphoria gets out of hand. And that's about it. I've cut my hair a bit shorter, but it's still kind of a feminine haircut. Felt good cutting it, though. And once I move away from my family, I plan on changing my wardrobe a bit so that I have more guy's clothes, and going by the name I've chosen, instead of my female name. I think I can do that much without conflicting with my beliefs.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's a reasonable amount of things you can do without necessarily feeling guilt based on your beliefs. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

If you don't mind me asking, to what extent are your beliefs 'yours'? Is there room for interpretation or is it pretty strict?

5. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My beliefs are mine, because I feel like they're true, regardless of the fact that I've been taught by my family. But there really isn't much room for interpretation; it's fairly strict.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK then. So I'll take that to mean that our list of things you could do, probably isn't going to get much bigger before you start conflicting.

That's ok, there is still quite a bit to work with there.

As for your family...you've just told me that you can do these things without conflicting with your beliefs. I am wondering then, if your parents would accept those things and what difference it would make if they don't?

7. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family... that's complicated. My parents have an even stricter view, and they're very anti-LGBT. They've even gotten mad at me because I refer to my FtM best friend as "he". They wouldn't accept anything masculine that I do. As is, they're always telling me to wear makeup and stuff. And right now, if they don't accept it, they still have the power to kick me out, at least until I can earn the money to move out on my own. And I don't have the money to live on my own right now, because my depression kind of set me back getting a job once I graduated from college.

8. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm familiar with guilt induced by religion. It's one of the major reasons I decided to drop religion altogether. I just got tired of always feeling guilty for being a human being.

9. Techno Kid

What religion if I may ask? If it one of the Abrahamic religions (such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) a lot of folks in those faiths are LGBT+ and have interpreted the scripture in ways that alow them to live a fully open and happy life. :slight_smile:

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, what is your religion? I have dealt a lot with religion and with family so, knowing would help to tailor any advice.

11. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, more commonly known as Mormons, if that helps any. So yeah, it's a form of Christianity.

12. Just Jess

Two things I learned the hard way about guilt.

One is that you should only ever feel guilty for things you have control over.

Two is that there is a difference between being a criminal, and having hard choices to make.

13. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Just Jess. I do know that I shouldn't feel guilty for what I don't have control over, but I'm struggling with making myself actually stop feeling that guilt, if that makes any sense at all. I'm sure I'll eventually stop feeling guilty, but it's harder right now.

14. Techno Kid

You will get there. (*hug*)

15. Minnie

I agree with Ellia.

You should never feel bad for who you are. When you realise that, some of your depression will lift (I've had depression for about a year and a half and it's a journey). It is your religion that is at fault for being anti-trans. Embrace yourself - you come first! It might take a while but learn not to beat yourself up over this. If it is a phase, fine; if it's permanent, that's fine too - but you won't know unless you're honest with and accepting of yourself.

16. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    If I may pose another question to complement what Ellia mentioned.

Are your religious beliefs truly yours or is it more to do with 'you were raised to believe a certain thing a certain way'?

My opinion, and this is strictly my opinion, is that strict religious principles CAN and are OFTEN imposed on younger generations, "because that's how my parents were raised and how my grandparents were raised, and so on and so on". If your family's religious beliefs are there more because family tradition must be upheld than for the more honest belief in something because you choose to believe something, then really that ceases to be religion (again, just my opinion) and instead becomes a sort of mental/emotional/spiritual tyranny.

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some respects I can't relate because I'm not trans; in other respects I can because I'm gay and was Mormon (in many ways still am--it shaped who I am). I can't speak to the actual theology. I think that's an individual thing for everyone. I will speak to the family part. I would have never thought my family could come around and they did--amazingly fast actually. They love me and they love my partner. One of the many good things I have to say about Mormons is that in my experience they love their children with a special intensity. I think you should at least try to get through to them. At least give them the chance to be there to make these easier for you rather than more difficult... Just my opinion obviously...

18. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Adia, I woul say that my beliefs are my own. I was raised with them, but I also questioned them for myself, when I was old enough, and I feel that they're true.

OGS, that's awesome that your family came through so quickly. The thing with my family is, I know they love me, but they're focused on my eternal salvation, and in their opinion, just accepting that transgender exists seems to threaten that. I think it would kill them if I told them the truth. I don't know, though, maybe it just seems more complicated than it is.

19. anonym

anonym Guest

I haven't come across any problems with religion and being transgender so far because my family aren't that religious and neither am I but from what I can see, you are being very respectful of your religion and standing by your beliefs by choosing to forego surgery and hormones. I hope that your family will see that if you ever do decide to come out to them. I like to think that as people become more educated about the LGBTQ community, it will be more widely accepted and people will realise this doesn't mean that you can't and shouldn't follow your religion also.

20. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    first off i would like to point out that if my advice makes no sense then consider the fact that i was raised until i entered the uu faith as anti christian..

anyway i saw this facebook post and normally i disregard anything to do with god but i actually approved of this post...
    it was something like god doesnt make any mistakes therefore you were born this way for a reason (it was lgbt related i just cant remember exactly how they showed that)

and maybe god made you trans to go through the journey that is transitioning and to show others of your faith a new perspective and way to see gods love or something