1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilty Secret I feel absolutely horrible about...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AudreyB, May 15, 2014.

1. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Since finally venturing into the queer community in the form of EC and a few other sources since late last year (following a lifetime of denial), my understanding and respect of matters related to gender identity and presentation has multiplied a good thousandfold. Which is how I learned that certain of my behaviors in this realm toward my ex-stepdaughter were utterly not cool. :frowning2: Just thinking about it now (let alone writing about it) brings a tremendous amount of shame to my being for having been so insensitive.

In short, I was guilty of inflicting a form of "expression repression" on my stepdaughter, familiar from cases such as those Baptist Lesbian and sherlock have recently posted about. My stepdaughter was always a very beautiful little girl with a nice figure, if slightly tomboyish with a preference for baggy gym shorts and t-shirts. I, with my repressed feminine desires and envious of anyone owning a genetic female body, let alone an attractive one, apparently felt compelled to somewhat insistently steer my wayward stepdaughter toward what I felt was a more proper feminine expression for her "good fortune". :rolle:

Please understand, I was never nearly as harsh to her about the matter as were Baptist Lesbian and sherlock's respective families. I never threatened to force her to wear or not wear anything--I don't have a bully side to myself at all. (Besides the fact that I'm not her dad and her mom would definitely have not been OK with it.) However, I was relatively open around the house about the fact that I didn't approve of her clothing choices much of the time and expressed how much better it would be for her to wear a dress or some nice shoes on occasion. Many times at the mall out shopping with her and her mom, I would try to navigate her toward what I thought was fittingly girly clothing. Like as not, she would eschew these in favor of sweatpants or sneakers. I typically ended up buying the clothes she would prefer, but I wouldn't hide the fact that I was unhappy.

Looking back, I feel like a complete, utter scumbag for attempting to police her gender expression. :tears: I was a repressed transwoman ostensibly seeking to indulge her own desires for feminine expression by proxy. Even if I felt I was a pretty good stepdad in other areas--speaking as objectively as I can about it--it was truly an insensitive and horrible thing for me to have done. It's always been a staunch ethic of mine to never project my own angers or frustrations on others. Certainly in this case, massive ethics fail to the point of disgusting hypocrisy.

Maria, wherever you are now, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for sharing that with us. I don't have anything to add, because I know there isn't much I can say to make you feel any better about it.

What I can say, is thank you. Thank you for trusting us enough to let us know something so deep and personal. Thank you for trusting us enough to allow yourself to be vulnerable.

I'm sure if she knew, she would forgive you.

3. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Audrey, I feel you because I was very homophobic and transphobic. I said a lot of awful words against gays and trans people. But one day, I realised how evil I was.

So, good job milady :thumbsup: Now you're completely free, like me (*hug*)

#3 FireSmoke, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

You guys are my new family. If I can't trust you guys with personal things about myself, then I truly have no place where I could be accepted. (*hug*) I have been shown so much love and acceptance since finding these boards and becoming part of the EC family, I have a need to deliver myself to you, open, honest, straightforward, sincere, soliciting your understanding and patience, as a worthy family member must.

I hope peeps reading my confession can see an example of how repressing one's true identity and nature can lead one to do less-than admirable things that may even negatively impact others. (The classic "closet case".) Moreover, I hope it further becomes apparent the need for being true to one's self and to avoid the specter of self-deceit and self-hatred, particularly when others dwell in our hemisphere. It's a horrible legacy to carry. :frowning2:

Thank you, family, my brothers and sisters, for allowing me to dwell among you and for accepting me, mere fallible human being that I am.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be a fucker myself using gay and tranny and shit like that so callously myself...

I wasn't an outright trans or homophobe but I've definetly used words that would totally offend me right now and I apologize to everyone for ever having done that. There was a brave transwoman that I used to see back in town when I was in high school/college. I talked shit with my friends behind her back. Guess what? I know where she works. When I see her again I'm going to apologize even though I've never said shit to her face. I feel I need to clean out my closet.

Being in the closet does some weird shit to a person.

Until I saw Audrey post this I've never thought twice about it.

Fate isn't without a sense of irony it seems...

(*hug*)

You aren't alone.

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Love ya, sis. (*hug*)

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*) I'm sorry that you were so repressed for so long and that you've been carrying this guilt with you; maybe someday you could reach out to her and explain what happened. You seem to really care for her and I think that makes up for the subtle policing you were doing. (*hug*)

I use to be silently homophobic with respect to gay transguys until I met one and saw others treating him horribly; I felt sick and that sickness completely burned away any homophobia I had. We all make mistakes; we're only human and you know, I think that you would make an excellent mother if you ever decided to try again. :slight_smile:

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I would like to, I have wanted to do so for months. Hopefully, she will be ready to talk to me about it some day. *le sigh*

:grin:

9. Monika the Diva

Hey Audrey, I want to say that even though what you did in your past is bad. It's behind you now, unfortunately you can't change it or take it back per say. But as long are you are truly sorry and you can be honest with yourself. If you really are sorry that then there is nothing to forgive because when we do things like that in our past we were ignorant of the things we were doing. I don't think i have ever done something like that but if i did, I would repent by never doing something like that again and move on. If you do run into the people you did hurt buy them a drink or a cup of coffee/tea. Apologize if you can and bury the hatchet and if you can't well just promise yourself you'll never make the same dumb mistake. That's all live free and happy. :slight_smile: Also Audrey, we are all humans in the end. We were never perfect to begin with and we do our best to make things better. I thank you for sharing, us and others who read this can learn from this experience.

#9 Monika the Diva, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. Techno Kid

Thanks for opening up about this Audrey! (*hug*)

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

(&&&)

Love all of you. Would that there was no pane of a computer screen between us, the hug attacks that would ensue! :icon_wink

12. Monika the Diva

Awwwwww I love you too sister (*hug*)

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a lot of us have said things that we regret. I know I have. Never to or about anyone specific, but that doesn't mean that what was said wasn't damaging, no matter how accepting I really was as a person. Words have weight.

That being said, well, it's been said but I'll say it again - what's already passed is in the past. You might not be able to change your actions, but you don't have to repeat them. Keep moving forward as the wiser woman you've become since then! (*hug*)

14. Manta

Thank you for sharing (*hug*)

I know just how much these sorts of things can eat at you, but I hope opening up about it here helps. Everyone's said things they regret, but you've done more than most by confronting and acknowledging it. You can only move forward from here! (*hug*)

15. ProtegeMoi

I know how you feel. I'm in a very similar situation with my stepdaughter. I was buying shampoo and conditioner and she was helping me find something and she wanted a new body wash and I was surprised at first when she grabbed a ninja turtle one. I asked her if that was what she really wanted and if she had smelled the other ones. She ended up with Raphael instead of Michaelangelo and all I could do was smile, because its the first time I've seen her go outside Hello Kitty or Monster High (she's seven).

I worry that if I do end up doing hrt and so on that I might warp her perspective or the idea that her classmates may give her a hard time. Shes a sensitive kid and I find myself apologizing a lot because I'm not as patient as I'd like to be with all of the other stuff going on in my mind.

Im sure when you get a chance to talk to her that it won't bother her as much as it does you, but i know itll help you heal a bit. I'm happy that you posted this, because it reinforces some things that I need to start paying more attention to.

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Thanks again everyone, for your kindness and compassion. It was a real emotional turmoil to dredge up these feelings and post about them. Especially in light of the even greater emotional turmoil going on that night of finally admitting myself, sans any and all ifs, ands and buts that I am female. But seeing some of the personal stories of some of our younger members who are going through similar trials with their parents (again, BaptistLesbian and sherlock being but two examples), the emotions just reading their posts couldn't help but bring this guilty episode to the surface for confessional. I wish I could hug all of you and take you shopping for the clothes you love as my penance and privilege. :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah! Turtle power!

---------- Post added 17th May 2014 at 11:44 AM ----------

And Audrey, while you may have voiced your disapproval, you at least bought her the stuff she wanted to wear and didn't force her not to wear stuff most of the time?

Try not to dwell on it too much though, your eyes have been opened now and you're a truly wonderful person. (*hug*)

We all make mistakes! :slight_smile:

[Side note: I don't think I was that bad growing up, shy of using "That's gay!" and making the odd gay joke to a bi friend of mine (which he didn't mind. :slight_smile:). I always knew that I wouldn't care if someone was gay or trans and knew that I'd go out with a trans woman, because they are women.]

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Oftentimes, my wife wants me to go with her when she's out shopping for clothes and such, and my usual response is to resist or just flat out throw a fucking tantrum. I hate shopping for one thing, and wandering the women's sections staring at clothes I "can't" wear, well......yeah.

---------- Post added 17th May 2014 at 05:18 AM ----------

The ability and/or willingness to change is what seperates good people from the bad.