1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender fluidity and dance

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hsiwi, May 15, 2014.

1. hsiwi

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So hi! (This is my first time starting a thread post.)
    I love to dance. Hiphop, all types of hispanic dance, breakdance, jazz, crump, and... Ballet.
    I am a born female but from what i'm starting to figure out, am most definitely gender fluid.
    Anyway, ballet.
    I took ballet a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
    I would love to start ballet again but can't bring myself to try and force myself to go back to being a "ballerina".
    That isn't who i am, i don't think i fit that mold any longer. I would much rather present myself as a "danseur" (male ballet dancer), but because i have a female body that doesn't quite work either.
    I have been researching but haven't found anything yet about FtM trans danseurs or any non danseur, non ballerina, ballet dancers.
    Anyway, any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nick07

Hi, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

I am sorry I can't give you any advice.

3. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I can relate to what you're saying. I've taken up contemporary dance and the moves up to now are all suitable for both men and women, but sometimes I dance latin too (salsa, bachata etc) because a friend of mine takes me to parties :grin: and, guess what: I prefer to be the "male partner" of the dance. Once I asked a dance teacher if he would teach a woman who would like to learn to dance like a man, and he laughed awkwardly as I were joking.
    I have no actual advice for you, except talking with your instructor (this is a risky one). Ballet has quite a strict separation of male and female roles... You can focus on learning to dance and, eventually developing your own style.

4. hsiwi

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank-you, I have thought a lot about this. I just wish that the gender barriers didn't exist. The one place I have found where I am able to dance either gender's part without people being weird is in the theater. I just wish I had a way to dance and learn to dance outside of that space. I can only learn the very basics in the theater after all :frowning2:
    I don't have a dance teacher at the moment, I had to take a break because school got in the way, now I mostly teach myself what I can. There is just so much I don't know how to do that I would really love to learn. The gender barrier just keeps getting in my way.