1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents and Questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Manta, May 15, 2014.

1. Manta

I'm not much of a thread starter (I tend to be much more of a lurker, really) but anyway...

I've had some anxiety issues this last year that have slowly gotten worse and will be withdrawing from classes despite how late it is in the semester. I was finally able to tell my dad, and he received it well, but when my mom called me after she got out of work one of the first things out of her mouth was "what's causing you to have so much anxiety? Is it school? Financial? Social? Is it a combination? Do you know?" It came out basically like that, but longer. I'm not out to my parents at all, so I didn't want to say 'gender identity' and instead told her "I don't know." Her response was "Oh, well we'll figure it out when you get home."

I don't really know what to do about these questions. My dad didn't ask anything, but that's because he thinks I'm a closeted lesbian. The rest of my family won't have those same reservations though, and I don't know how to field unwanted questions about the causes of my anxiety or reason for needing to see a therapist. :tears: I'm a terrible lier and saying things like "I don't want to discuss it with you" will only make them angry and frustrated with me.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents always ask me stuff like

"Are you happy?"
    "what's wrong?"

Etc.

They say I love you no matter what.

And of course I lie to them each time, especially lately.

I've wondered if they've always known something was up with me. I bet they did but never asked.

I'm seriously contemplating telling them this summer.

3. Manta

Yeah, them meaning well is part of what makes it so difficult.

I am a terrible lier. Or rather, I feel horrible guilt whenever I lie. Or speak in half-truths.

My sister and my dad both think I'm lesbian, but everyone else is clueless. My sister's been pressuring me to come out to the rest of my family, but she's off the mark on the what.

I really don't know what I'm going to do when I get home with the different pressures. I think the only 'safe' person will be my dad whose most likely been lurking on LGBT websites. He has recently developed a strange 'you can tell me anything I love you' attitude and keeps forwarding me self-help articles that would be relevant to someone whose LGBT. That creates its own kind of pressure, because it feels like he's just waiting for me to come out every time we have a conversation.