1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM Clothing Help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ElvenDragon, May 17, 2014.

1. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    So the summer is coming and I found out that I have a bit of a problem. I have zero pairs of shorts! Ive been looking online to find shorts that will fit cuz im to chicken to try them on in the store.

does anyone have any tips sizing wise or good sites?

2. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm. You might want to check out the sizing charts if the stores you fancy's got websites. Measure yourself and know your size for both men and women's clothes, just in case you see something good. If you're a small guy, look for stuff from Asian retailers. They tend to make men's clothing in smaller sizes. I've got some pictures in my album of me wearing women's shirts, and I think they look masculine. One shirt looks like the Sherlock shirt which is exactly why I bought it. So if that doesn't bother you too much, the women's department is also a good place to look for masculine clothes that fit.
    Or else, venture in the boys' department. Again, know your size before going so you don't have to try them on. Always go to stores with a good returning policy. That way if it doesn't fit, you won't have to worry.

3. Do you have any guy pants that fit nicely? I'd recommend noting the brand and looking for shorts that they sell. Buying the same size shorts in the same brand and same size as your pants should probably work out.

But yeah, check your measurements and compare them against the sizing charts for stores you're looking at will likely work too.

Don't forget to measure the length of the shorts against your leg before you buy if you're worried about them being too long or too short.

4. Stacy in MA

I have a guys body with a little more... ahem... "back" than many, so I have always had a really hard time finding men's shorts that fit without looking like a scrunched up paper bag at the top when belted. I tend to have the best luck with Old Navy cargo type shorts. Hopes this helps!

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know your size in men's pants? They're measured by waist and by length. You only need your waist measurment to buy shorts, but you might want to consider several styles if you're short like me - a lot of guy's shorts are long on me since I'm only 5'3", so sometimes I need to try them on to see what'll fit best. If you buy your shorts from the same company that you buy your pants from they should be sized the same, so it's way easier to judge your size.

If you're new to buying men's pants in general, you really should try them on to find your size. Go with a friend if you're nervous. Most places don't seem to care what section of the store you're shopping in. If you do happen to have an issue with someone in the store, you could leave, or use a quick excuse like "I'm shopping for my boyfriend, we're about the same size, could I try these on?" Nobody's going to question you if you use an excuse like that with a smile and some confidence - they'll show you right to the fitting rooms. Once you know your size you can shop online with confidence. But honestly, when I say most people don't care, I mean most people really do not care. I wear men's clothes 100% of the time anymore, so it's pretty obvious when I need to try something on, I'm looking to buy it for myself. Nobody's said a word - except for one male clerk that told me the shirts I was trying on were his favorites they were selling at the time, and that I'd love them too.

6. Slothus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the great things about male clothing is that it doesn't really matter that much if the clothes are too big for you. If you prefer to have more tightly fitting shorts then just ignore this but an easy way to pick is just estimate your size and then pick 2 sizes bigger. I've always worn clothes that were about 3 sizes too big just to feel comfortable but that might not be what you're going for.

7. Minnie

Go to charity shops! Cheap brands and the restriction of clothes means you just pick up what you see :slight_smile:

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true to some extent, but I wouldn't advise it myself. Especially with pants and shorts. The bigger you go, the more bottom-heavy you'll look, which can make you look more feminine. Cis guys can get away with wearing their clothes bigger because they're still male-shaped underneath them - I've noticed that, at least on me, trying to hide my body under bigger clothes not only dwarfs me even more (again, short - I want to avoid looking even smaller at all costs), but it also emphasises the body I'm trying to hide.

That said, some men's pants are cut pretty narrow through the hips and thighs, and you might need to buy them a little bigger just to accomodate your body shape. I've had to do this.

Also, I by no means intend to tell you what to do or not to do. I would just advise a little caution when buying bigger, based on my own experiences. And I'm not someone that wears their clothes tight.

---------- Post added 18th May 2014 at 02:27 AM ----------

I love charity shops! Shopping there can be really hit and miss, but some of my favorite things are from charity shops.

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, are you looking more for cargo or flat front?

10. hsiwi

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest looking for shorts with adjustable waist bands. Adjustable waist bands are my savior, it id also my brother's savior. That way, if the size is wrong you can just cinch it tighter.

11. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the responses!

@thedreamwatch
    No, this is the first time trying to by guys bottoms, so I don't have anything to compare to.

@Gates
    Im looking for cargos.

The one thing im worried about is not being able to find something that fits well. I have checked many online clothing stores and have taken my measurements, but usually the problem ends up being that im too short and have a large hips. Im only 5 feet tall.

Now yesterday I managed to go to the local giant tiger and get my self a pair of shorts. I didn't try them on, I just took an educated guess and it turns out that they actually fit. Its a boys large, and they are actually swim trunks, so they have a stretchy waist. that being said, I also went to the charity shop and grabbed a pair of cargos, but I couldn't even get them zipped. But, atleast now I have a pair of half decent shorts ^_^