1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Said to some friends I was trans and it felt wrong

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, May 18, 2014.

1. Minnie

Like, terrible. Scary, like I was in a different world. And it was a group of girls that I said this to, and I felt like this made me really different to them, like I couldn't be on similar channels as them because of it. I wanted to say afterwards that I was queer or questioning, but I told myself this was due to my social anxieties and having acted female in front of this group for a while. I just... I looked at something I posted recently about feeling like I'm a man inside but something abou lt that seems wrong now. I'd never really sat well with "bigender" before but I think I've been oppressing a part of me. Maybe. I don't know...
    And on top of this, what makes things like this worse is that when I'm around people I'm not close to, or I've gone from one parent's house to the other (which is why for years I've hated Sundays), I feel ungrounded and a bit unreal. So how can I know if this is to blame? AND I forgot to take medication yesterday and the effecta of doing so kicked in today.
    And counselling... I've had gender counselling and was terrible at it. If I were to do it again I'd have the therapist completely confused. I'm on a waiting list for psychology for general mental problems for another 9, 10 weeks and God knows if the therapist will be knowledgeable in gender issues - I can't deal with only being able to explain part of what's going on.

2. Minnie

Anyone? This isn't the first time I've needed help and haven't got any...

3. Techno Kid

(*hug*) Ask yourself these things:
    -How do you want people to see you (pronouns, how you act, and such).
    -If you were able to snap your fingers and be a girl forever would you?
    -If you were able to snap your fingers and be a boy forever would you?
    -If you were able to snap your fingers and be neither and/or both forever would you?
    -How do you feel about your body?

Hope that helped a bit! :slight_smile:

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey

The first few times I came out as trans, it didn't seem right either. I thought it would be like lifting a big weight off my shoulders, but it's like something in my guts just snapped instead, and left this gaping, heavy void. I felt open and vulnerable and anxious, and i wanted to backpedal and try saying something else, anything else. Suddenly I saw myself in the moment, for the first time in a long time. Sitting there in my friend's kitchen in my awkward-fitting boy clothes, with my choppy hair cut and my puffy feminine features, and that internal image of myself that drove me to come out felt all at once illusionary. I became all too aware of everything that I had going against me, and the reality of where I am and where I feel I should be and how many worlds apart they are was so striking that when I was asked why I felt the way I do, how I know for sure I'm not comfortable living as a girl anymore, all I could squeak out was a pitiful, "I don't know".

It was the first time I ever actually vocalised it, actually said the words aloud. "I am transgender". And even though it had been clear in my mind for months at that point, and I'd been questioning myself for years, it was the first time it really hit me what that really meant.

If these people are some of the first you've told, maybe you're experiencing something similar? It's sort of funny how something you tell yourself inside your own head a million times, or tell people online, can be so shocking when you actually say it out loud. But you've said it now, it's out in the open. Don't backpedal. It's perfectly alright to come out again later as something more specific (bigender) or general (queer) if you think you've found something that describes your gender better, and it doesn't invalidate the things you feel now.

Give yourself a couple of days to calmly mill everything over. Techno Kid posted some questions that you've likely already asked yourself a hundred times, but ask them again. They'll help put things into perspective. On particularly bad days when I'm not sure I've been being honest with myself and I'm feeling sort of unreal, I'll ask myself similar questions as a bit of a reality check. Sometimes you won't have all the answers, but you're bound to get to a point where you do.

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's kind of an odd thing to say out loud at first, but it should get easier to say. :slight_smile:

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People change. Even my friend isn't exactly 100% sure how to react and what not. The problem with the way people see trans people is that because they want to change physically is that they are somehow mentally different.

No, you're the same person.

Also ask yourself this. If you avoid doing things you consider transgender, ask how much you feel like coming back to it. If your desires to be male doesn't subside and comes back, then analyze that.

When I forsake being female it comes back invariably.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

It can be scary, almost alienating telling something to someone that has a social stigma attached to it, even if that someone is your best friend since you were 5. It felt like I was swallowing a watermelon whole while juggling chainsaws on-top a bed of nails when I told my Older brother & my Mom I was trans, and there is no one that I am closer to then those 2 people.

You may even try to repress it by making yourself feel that it is wrong. that this isn't what you are because society says its wrong.
    Sometimes I feel like giving up and go back to being a guy, because some days I just feel like I can't handle this... I don't deserve this... I don't want this thrusted upon me... but then... then I reflect on everything... when I was a guy I was a hermit, I was going no where in my life, and I was unhappy daily. Today I have a solid Career, I love going out (Most days), and I am 4 months sober.
    This isn't the ideal path in life, but somewhere someone looks up to me, so I can't be weak.
    As Eminem says "Success is my only motherf**cking option, failure's not"

And as for the help stuff... Sorry you had those experiences with these forums... but feel free to ask me directly either by posting on my wall, or via private messaging ^^

8. Minnie

Thanks everyone. What was silly about yesterday was:
    a) I'm not close to any of them
    b) it wasn't like a sit-down to come out.
    One of them is an English lit student obsessed about gender. She said it's a social construct and I asked her about transgenders, and when she said they supported/proved her point I said I considered myself transgender.
    Yet really, in my head... I guess I don't because in my head I'm me, and being trans is a coincidence of what body you have. Does that make sense?

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm no expert but it sounds like you are splitting yourself off from being transgender. It's as though you see transgender as something separate to yourself, that's not you. Don't know if I'm making sense? But if I am and you're sitting there think thinking that you feel trans but at the same time, thinking that can't be you, then I'd say that's pretty normal.

Maybe this whole thing of telling your friends that you're trans and it feeling wrong could be just that you haven't accepted it yourself yet? Maybe that's why it feels unreal?

10. Minnie

I feel like I've accepted, acknowledged that I'm male or have a male side, and I'm often living in my mind anyway.

11. anonym

anonym Guest

Hmmm....I'm not sure then. I mean I know the first time I tried on men's clothing felt really really wrong. And so did the first time someone used my new name. It didn't feel any better than my birth name but in a different way but now I'm starting to get used to it. Even though I've been thinking I'm trans for 2 years, it only just has started to feel ok wearing men's clothing. So maybe these things take longer to process mentally than we think???

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was weird for me to tell people as well. For me, even though I had told them, I still felt the need to hide that side of myself from people. It took me a long time to tear down the wall that I had built up in order to hide the male side of myself.

So, as time goes on, I think that you will feel more comfortable with them knowing. Right now, it's just more of a shock that people know.

13. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    :smilewave Hello, me. :bang: