1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80-20

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Manta, May 18, 2014.

1. Manta

I don't know why, but the idea of feeling 80% male and 20% female popped into my head a while back and it's been stuck ever since. 85-15 isn't quite right and 75-25 is even worse, but where the heck did these numbers come from? Has anyone else felt something similar? It's a strange way to describe myself, and I've been wondering if anyone else has thought of themselves that way?

2. Minnie

Many if not most people have male and female aspects to their personalities. I think I've tried seeing myself that way.

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... I would say I'm about 85% male and 15% female. It's a convenient way to think of things. :thumbsup:

4. earthlvr510

I guess I think of myself that way sometimes. Im probably around 90% male and 10% female, though to be completely honest I have a hard time defining male and female, just how I think about gender I guess. Dividing it up like that helped me decide whether or not to transition though so it helped me quite a lot :slight_smile:

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do the same thing, except if the percentages have to add up to 100%, I can't always find something that fits, so I do the percentages independently. So one day I could be 40% female and 75% male, or I could be 20% female, 10% male, or I could even be 100% female and 100% male.
    (I didn't quite know how to explain it, but I hope that made sense)

6. Manta

Thanks for the responses everyone! I hadn't seen any threads that framed gender like percentages before so I was wondering if it was just me.

Yeah, that makes sense :thumbsup:

7. Stacy in MA

I think about myself this way pretty frequently also - what makes it a bit of a challenge for me is that my gender is a moving target. Add to that that my presentation usually diverges from my identity and it can get pretty confusing to think about.

In terms of identity I would say that my default is roughly 55% female and %45 male, but I swing anywhere between about 90%f and 10%m to 20%f and 80%m - with a little more time spent at 20%f and 80%m than at 90%f and 10%m.

Unfortunately for me, the amount of time I can spend presenting as either female or androgynous in comparison to as a male is not even remotely proportional to the identity splits. :eusa_doh: