1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requesting leave of absence

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Manta, May 19, 2014.

1. Manta

I'm requesting a leave of absence at my school for mental health concerns, but how much do I say? There's a category for 'reasons' but they'll have the counseling center's recommendation right there. Do I say I'm trans* or just list the specific things that impact academics like panic attacks? I hate filling out forms....

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Incredible, I have the EXACT same question. I'm not able to finish my current school quarter because I'm going crazy about my gender-identity issues. Can someone in the know advise about this? :frowning2:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speak to your guidance counselor, doctor, Dean, someone in authority that can give you permission. I had issues with a class and my class Dean allowed me to withdraw from one class. Maybe you can be allowed an extension?

4. Manta

I'm glad I'm not alone in this process (*hug*) it's obscenely stressful. I just want to start acting on all the things that have been driving me up the wall this last year and hopefully work things out a bit

---------- Post added 19th May 2014 at 09:57 AM ----------

I actually did that last semester...

I looked at that first for this semester, but for me it ended up needing to be a full withdrawal. (Even had a panic attack going to my one-credit music final and missed it, which was lame. I was really looking forward to that one.) When you withdrew from the single class did you have to fill out a form giving your reason?

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I had a bipolar depressive phase because my teacher triggered me by not telling me if I was passing because I totally blew every test and quiz getting like 30% or less. It sent me into a spiral and my Dean had a conversation with me and was the actual reason I ended up getting diagnosed with bipolar in the first place.

But yes paperwork was involved.

6. Manta

Teachers like that really bug me. Their type aren't interested in teaching at all and the students suffer for it :tantrum:

Did you end up needing to go into a lot of details when filling out the forms, or were you more general about it?

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

i would say it is on a need to knw basis coupled with how comfortable you are with telling them you're trans, or simply Dysphoric should work

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was filled out for me although I'm sure the diagnosis went into my academic records.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I took a couple of years out from studying because of my depression and part of that was realising I was trans. I got a letter from the counselling service to support my LOA and a Dr's note which didn't go into detail. NO one should actually need to know about your gender issues if you're not comfortable with telling them on a form or in person. I was told that the way it works is a letter from the counselling service explaining the reasons using generic terms such as distress, anxiety and depression should suffice and if the staff members responsible for making the decision to grant LOA required any further confirmation, they were invited to contact the counselling service via the letter. Only then would further details be disclosed to 1 or 2 staff at the most and in the strictest confidence.