1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, May 20, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

It's just struck me that I'm still struggling with a kind of split identity and personality and I need some advice.

There's the old me that pops up now and then but I've learned to ignore that when it does because I have realised it only appears when I'm spending time with people I knew before I realised I'm trans or if I'm in a familiar location that I used to visit, again before I realised I'm trans.

The non-binary guy has disappeared now. I'm sure I'm binary male or at least that's what I want to become once I have managed to unlearn what I have learned and drop the feminine habits.

Now, here is where I have the problem. Earlier today, I started making plans for employment. I thought I had made some progress and started to get an idea of what I want to do. But then I went out, saw some men that I think I may have compared myself to and switched into 'alpha male mode'. Now the plans I started making earlier seem all wrong for me because I want to pursue this need to be masculine. I actually feel like a different person.

So to compare, earlier I was thinking of doing some interns in technical, administrative and scientific work. I have accepted the fact that I'm not a people person and would fare better in an environment where I'm not really required to serve customers and can work alone. (This is something I'm quite happy about anyway because I can't be bothered with dealing with the gender stuff at work which I imagine would crop up quite often when dealing with customers constantly referring to me as 'she' or 'lady') I tried on a shirt and smart trousers the other day with my binder. It felt great and I thought I could imagine myself working somewhere where I would dress like this or wear a smart uniform. Looking back on my strengths and weaknesses at school and at work in the past, I thought a scientific job would really suit my abilities and I was excited about possibly retraining in something new and finding something I would enjoy at last.

Now, having switched to 'alpha male mode', all of the above feels wrong and dysphoric. I feel like I want to work in a trade instead. The thing is, I know that I would probably find manual work boring but for some reason, I just can't shake off the idea that it's what I want to be doing or that's what I should be doing. I'm not sure which. I wouldn't say I feel happy or excited about digging up roads or building houses but it feels like this would guarantee that I would definitely be male and no one could say otherwise. This split has been there ever since I first realised I was trans and it also is a way of cutting off from my emotions. When I feel like I'm in the 'alpha male mode', I don't care about anything and rather than basing my actions on my own emotions, I seem to first think 'what would a guy do?' rather than what I would do. It's almost like I'm male first before anything else.

I am so confused with this split personality thing. Can anyone advise how I can put it to rest and figure out which direction is right for me?