1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Early?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ratatattat, May 20, 2014.

1. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Wondering if you guys ever feel like you came out to early as trans. I'm 100% sure I am trans, I've always felt like I was supposed to be a male and have sexual interest only as a man. I came out to family around two years ago, and now I'm stuck in a position where I am constantly sir'd in public (Which is great) but my parents correct them, then I get weird stares. I feel like because I can't progress in transition even just with pronouns, everything is stuck in a really awkward phase that could have just been unnecessary, because I'm not male enough for my standards, but I can't do anything about it. I guess I just don't like not knowing if people perceive me as a male or female, because it causes me to limit myself in how male I dress and I physically can't bring myself to dress even remotely feminine.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like your parents are the problem, not you coming out early.

Think about it, they've had 2 years to get used to it and they haven't. Not only have they not go their heads around it but they ACTIVELY 'correct' people when they recognize you as male.

Honestly, that phase where you feel trapped is horrible, but it isn't unnecessary and I assure you if you had waited on come out later you would still experience it.

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it sounds like the problem is with your parents, not with you. They need to learn to accept you for who you are, not try to force you into fitting their vision of who you'd become. Hopefully that's something they figure out in the not-too-distant future.

4. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Yeah, I think my mom tries to be civil, but my father is really religious so he doesn't see it as me being a man in a woman's body, but something demonic making me think I'm trans (as crazy as that sounds). So that kind of being...irrational.. I guess makes it hard for me to talk to him about it and ask for him to not correct my pronouns. I asked him once to switch, but he said he couldn't and started recommending me to do things like religious therapists, so I just kind of have to choose to either not talk about it or change the subject lol.