1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wigs

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieHK, May 20, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Title sorta self explanatory.

Anyways, i'm a dumb ass :eusa_doh: it never occurred to me that my girlfriend wants hair that's longer than two inches, but she can't grow it out without coming out socially. So how would she have longer hair when she's out with me, or in private? A wig.

Guess what else. CharlieHK knows nothing about wigs. When I hear the word "wig" I think about cos players with bubble gum pink anime wigs. Which is obviously incorrect about wigs. So, I have a few questions about wigs.

1. How do they stay on your head? (I'm an idiot, remember)

2. How do they differ from hair extensions? (I'm an idiot, remember)

3. How...how does one keep them clean? (I'm an idiot, remember)

4. What kind of hair are wigs made out of? (I'm an idiot, remember)

But here's a unique problem, I don't even know how I feel about wigs, I totally understand wanting longer hair an all, I get that it will help feeling more feminine physically, but right now I view her haircut as like a cute short hair girl cut. I mean it's not like it's a buzz cut or something super macho. So when she talked about longer hair I assumed once she was on her own and not forced to get male hair cuts by her parents she would grow her hair out. So when she talked about keeping her hair short and investing in wigs...I'm like "okay...what?".

Someone educate me, I think I'm just not into it because I'm clueless on 'em.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warning: I am by no means an expert, so while the answers I give will be 100% TRUE, they are almost certainly not the ONLY possible answer!

1. How do they stay on your head? (I'm an idiot, remember)

Wig cap. Thing fish-net stocking for your head. My wigs had clips on them that you hooked onto the wig cap and it would stay in place as long as you weren't excessively violent with it.

2. How do they differ from hair extensions? (I'm an idiot, remember)

No idea. But I would assume hair extensions clip on to existing hair?

3. How...how does one keep them clean? (I'm an idiot, remember)

Depends on the wig. You can get wig shampoo and conditioner and brushes and picks and what-have-you, but honestly it's only worth it if the wig is good quality. You buy a £6 wig from eBay just chuck it after a few wears and buy a new one.

If you got a decent quality wig, there is a whole mess of stuff for wig care I am in no-way qualified to guide you through!

4. What kind of hair are wigs made out of? (I'm an idiot, remember)

All mine where made of synthetic hair called what...kanelkon or something like that.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Thanks for the reply. That actually answered a lot!

4. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

6. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Lemme take a stab lol

1. Wigs are often worn with a cap, A fishnet "du-rag" of sorts to hold the real hair in place, the actual wig goes over that, and has it's own cap, and an elastic band that is adjustable. hiding the wig line is key here, so longer wigs are best. Wigs that match your natural hair color are optimal as well, as if it is short, stray head hair can be ignored so long as it is natural (sideburns, neck hairs)

2. Hair extensions are usually sewn into longer hair that has been put into a bun of sorts, extensions can be glued into shorter hair, and you are unable to wash you hair normally, instead you need to use "dry" shampoo

3. Most wigs can be cleaned with normal shampoo, they offer "synthetic hair" shampoo but I use regular shampoo. wash it like you would your own hair. hang to dry

4. Wigs come in an assortment of materials, the cheapest & strongest synthetic hair is made from Kanekalon a Japanese fiber, wigs made from this are usually under $30. Horse hair may also be used, however the most expensive would be Human Hair.

Most Kanekalon will melt over temps of 140 degrees so styling it with curlers and hair driers is a gamble. Human and horse hair maybe styled, dyed, curled etc. Expect most human hair to come from India.

Overall wigs have a great lifespan if properly cared for, I would advise you to avoid Curly wigs made from Kanekalon, as these require a great amount of time keeping them looking nice, as they're keen to tangles and looking "Nappy"

You can either hang them when not wearing them or buy special holders for them, which are styrofoam or metal wire heads

Make sure the Wig's sewn cap matches the color of the hair on the wig, or is transparent, this will make the wig harder to spot out in public.

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Sorry, don't have the willpower to answer all these questions before 5 o'clock in the morning. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But will link to a recent post I made about my wig, from which you can proceed to my source which provides details about the mane. :slight_smile:

Good luck!