1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety when out with girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieHK, May 22, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Sorry for posting so much. My girlfriend doesn't think she'll be able to pass. I should note that she has no plans of going through hormone replacement or going through surgeries, so basically she's not out in the slightest.

Often we have talked about going out in public (a place or maybe a town over where people would be less likely to know our faces) as either a lesbian couple or maybe a man and a woman (her being the woman and me the male). But she doesn't think she'll pass. And there are some safety concerns about being out like that exposed.

I have some safety questions and some others.

1. Can someone "pass" without HRT and/or SRS?

2. Would it be a good idea to maybe take some sort of self defense course? As a couple or just one of us?*

*I don't feel so great about carrying blades or something. Pepper spray and a rape whistle maybe.

Any advice would help. My lady seems to think she'll never pass in public. (I've seen pictures of what she can do with very limited resources and I had to double take because in my opinion she did a good job). I just...I don't like her thinking badly about what she is capable of. :icon_sad:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible to pass without surgery and HRT, yes. Very possible.

Is it possible for YOUR GIRLFRIEND to do it? Impossible to tell.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how well she passes if she hasn't got the confidence to pull it off. Nothing (except a beard) will give you away quicker than looking scared.

As for safety it's up to you what you do. Personally I'd go with the spray, whistle and learn to run.

The thing about self defence is that for a long while it will make you WORSE when it comes to defending yourself. Instead of acting on instinct and maybe getting a few lucky shots in, you start trying to go through the things you learned, and until it becomes muscle memory you just can't do it quick enough. My point is, self defence classes are no good short term. Long term, great, I wouldn't pick a fight with any of the black belts at my class in a hurry because they could break all my bones with very little effort...

Having said that, I've found martial arts (as opposed to just 'self defence' classes) have an affect on confidence...so it might be worth considering for that reason alone.

3. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Self defense courses are always good, whatever situation you're in. I know pepper spray is sold at places like Walmart and Academy sports, and yeah, ditto on the knives thing. Maybe a taser? I personally don't think I could wield one of those either, but that could be something to look into.

And no, you don't have to have taken hormone treatments or undergone surgery to pass. I've seen some women with neither of those things that I couldn't tell were not genetically female. If nothing else, people might just assume she's a masculine/butch woman.

PS. Your avatar never fails to freak me out.

4. Neio

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I think self-defense classes are always good, regardless of gender, and it never hurts to carry pepper spray. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd May 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

From what I know about Michigan laws (yay, another Michigander!), tasers require a CCW to be able to purchase/use them legally. Found that out the hard way with a harasser. Personally, I'd go with the pepper spray. They're cheaper.

5. juliegt6

As far as passing without hormones or srs. Srs won't really affect her passing that much other than the removal of the testicles reducing testosterone production. Hormones are always a mixed bag too, but they definitely do work. About her specifically passing, I don't know, it's really a case by case basis, even with hrt+electro+ffs+bas+srs, it depends on what you're working with.

I haven't had any trouble with harassment in regards to trans or being gay. I've had creepy guys be creepy, but not took much. I'm in conservative west mittenland. I do have a ccw and a Colt 1911 Government Model. Never had to use it, and hope I never will, but if things hit the fan and I can't get away or fight non lethaly, it's there. Pepper spray works too.

The best defense is situational awareness. The principle of it just doesn't seem right applies here. If you feel uncomfortable or not at ease in a situation and feel it's best to flee, do so. If you're out and about just stay aware, and trust your gut feelings. The best fight is the one avoided all together.

I hope I didn't scare you! Best wishes to you and your girlfriend. If you're a sweet happy couple, at least in my area, people tend to just let it go, regardless of orientation or passibility.