1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out to my friends.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alyssa'sTooCute, May 23, 2014.

1. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I'm so scared I am dressed fully like a guy and if I tell them I feel like they'd doubt me or disown me : ( I dunno what to do

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

I'm kinda talking about the subject a lot lately I even got them to say that I have a feminine voice out of everyone they know which made me happy : )

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True friends will be there by your side and support you, which is how I viewed things when I was in the coming out process. You never know what kind of reaction you'd get, but you'd probably be surprised by how well people might handle the news.

A friend of mine was on my back a lot towards the end of our junior year, wanting to know why I was so depressed that year. Eventually I caved and came out to him and he took the news incredibly well--saying I'm just one of the guys and he isn't one to judge and our relationship hasn't changed since (we haven't spoken to each other since we were seniors since he moved to another state) really.

If your friends come off as being gay friendly, that might help as well as a good starting platform. If you're out to anyone around you who is supportive, perhaps them being with you when you tell them can help.

3. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just tried to bring up the subject and they were like "sounds like you wanna make out with us" : (

---------- Post added 23rd May 2014 at 02:56 PM ----------

So I dunno if I should I want to so bad but it's not fair it's not my fault it's who I am : (

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

You should come out to them. Friends are there to support you. If they make you feel bad about it or you discover they aren't lgvt friendly then they were never really your friends to begin with.
    Even if you do loose one friend, you will gain 10 people in support of what you're going through. Telling you how brave you are,your courage to do such a thing. Let me tell you those people are priceless. When I came out on Facebook I lost like maybe 4 friends, but within the hour I got about 50 comments of support. It was empowering to say the least. When I slip, when I fall I look at those posts and it gives me courage.

I am a nobody as far as the world is concerned, but I know that somewhere someone looks up to me.

So don't be afraid to tell your friends because chances are you'll be surprised by how cool they will take it

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. hiddenxrainbows

I'm in the process of coming out to my friends at the moment as well. My boyfriend, therapist, and three friends know so far. My therapist and first two friends were completely fine with it from the beginning. My boyfriend and the last friend I came out to were confused and such. My boyfriend's known for months though and he's okay with it now. The last friend I came out with I only told a few days ago. And he's not exactly 100% okay with it right now. When I told him, he asked what the difference was between tomboys and transguys. Because all the girls he knew were tomboys, so it was like because of that, it's impossible for someone to be a transguy. And today, he found out that I proposed to my boyfriend, and was joking around about how I broke the rules because women don't propose. >_> I don't think he's purposely trying to be an asshole, but I think it's going to take a while of talking about it and correcting him to get him to understand.

I know that coming out is extremely scary. It took me months and months to tell my first friend. And then it took me about another month before I told my next friend. And each time I tell someone, I still freak out. I still over-think things and worry that they'll hate me for it. But I haven't gotten any reactions of hate at all yet. Of course, my one friend seems a bit ignorant and confused now, but he's not being straight out hateful. I'm sure that I'll get some hateful comments, when I come out to more people, but that's something that all of us have to be prepared for. No matter how you come out (whether it's as gay, bi, trans, etc), someone somewhere is not going to like it. But we can't hide in the closet just because not everyone won't accept it. We have to live as our true selves eventually. No one can just live in fear of being rejected. Of course, not everyone is going to like us, even if we aren't part of the LGBT group. No matter what we do or what we are, someone out there is not going to like it. We just have to try to remember that those people who have a problem with us being trans or gay or anything else isn't worth dealing with. If they can't accept you eventually for who you are, then your relationship with them is just hurtful, they aren't even worth being friends with. Because being a true friend is accepting that person for who they are.

Trust me, you are going to have some people dislike you for being trans. But you will also have people who will accept it and still love you, even after they find it out. Just try to remember that you are worth it. You are a wonderful person who deserves to be happy; you deserve to be you and not have to hide. It will be hard. I'm having a hard time coming out. But I know that I'll be happier once I actually come out to everyone and be my true self. I haven't come out to a lot of people yet, but it still feels better not having to hide it from everyone. It feels a hell of a lot better. Just remember that if someone gives you crap for being trans, they aren't even worth it. They aren't a real friend.

And if you need someone to talk to, I'm always here! I might not be able to fix any problems, but I'll try to come up with some possible solutions, and I'll at least listen while you vent