1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb questions about trans men / FTM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mangotree, May 23, 2014.

1. mangotree

You might have seen my other thread about discovering that I'm very attracted to men that happen to be trans men / FTM.
    I think (hope) it's only a matter of time before I go on a date and I don't want to be one of those ignorant wankers who asks stupid questions, so if it's alright, I might ask a few here.
    I really want to just treat them like every other man I've dated, but I don't want to say/ask anything unintentionally offensive with regards to their past or their lives.

I'm curious to know things like:
    Do you generally not tell anyone (that you were born in a female body) unless they ask?
    For someone who is comfortable in their (new) body, are there any other things to do with gender identity or sexuality that you struggle with?
    What kinds of discrimination, misconceptions, assumptions or ignorance do you face day to day if any?
    What effects do hormones have on you other than growing facial/body hair?
    What would happen if you stopped taking hormones?
    I assume most trans men prefer male pronouns?

Is it rude to ask:
    Did you always know you were a boy/man / born in the wrong body? (Is it just like asking a gay man when they realised they were gay?)
    When did you start transitioning?
    When did you first start dressing like a boy/man and how did it make you feel?
    When did you have your surgery?
    Are your parents supportive of you being trans and/or gay?
    Have you changed your gender on your passport / birth certificate etc..?
    How did you choose your male name?
    What was your birth name?

Feel free to add any more (perhaps common) questions that I should NOT ask.
    And any that would be really good to ask as well.

Any terminology that I shouldn't use as well.

Sorry again if any of this is offensive.

Peace be with you all.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wow I feel a little bad even though i never asked such questions :icon_sad:

3. mangotree

not sure what you mean :-/

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I meant I always wanted to ask questions to trans people just to learn something about them and understand them more but this is why I never asked because I always thought they would consider my questions dumb or offensive so I just assumed

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Do you generally not tell anyone (that you were born in a female body) unless they ask?
    Most people who know me right now know that I'm trans simply because I either knew them before I came out or because I either met them in an LGBT context or they just guessed I was FAAB (my voice is a dead give-away). I generally don't tell anyone unless I feel that knowledge would be of use (like if I'm trying to help out another trans guy online)

For someone who is comfortable in their (new) body, are there any other things to do with gender identity or sexuality that you struggle with?

Still not at a point where I'm anywhere near comfortable in my body. I'm still pre-op and pre-testosterone. But things have gotten better now that I'm full-time and I pass on a regular basis as a guy. I struggle on a regular basis with my body and dysphoria. And even though I'm a bisexual, I sometimes struggle with my sexuality. I'm often more sexually attracted to men than I am to women but I'm not exclusively attracted to men.

What kinds of discrimination, misconceptions, assumptions or ignorance do you face day to day if any?

I'm really lucky that I haven't had to deal with a lot of up front discrimination. Maybe just a few weird looks. But a lot of the time, what I struggle with is being assumed that I'm not really a man because I don't have a penis or that I'm somehow different or weird because I'm trans.

You'd be correct. I definitely do.

Is it rude to ask:

Just gonna say it right now- depends on context. I think on a site like this, it's more appropriate versus asking a random trans guy off the street. All depends on what you'd get out of it by asking. Since this is a support forum and you're well intentioned, I don't see a problem. :wink:

Did you always know you were a boy/man / born in the wrong body? (Is it just like asking a gay man when they realised they were gay?)

Didn't always know but I've had inklings since I was a kid. It wasn't until recently that I knew why I felt weird and uncomfortable in my body and my birth gender. And yeah, I think so? I'd imagine for gay guys, not everyone knows they're gay right from birth- everyone figures things out at their own pace.

I have yet to start medically transitioning but I've been socially transitioning for about a year. I live full-time as male with a few exceptions. (and this, note, probably wouldn't be a question you'd ask a trans guy unless you knew him really well and questions like this were usual)

Not until a few months ago. And it felt fucking amazing.

Haven't yet. Hoping in the next four years to have top surgery. (not a question I'd ask unless you were sleeping with the guy and were in a long term relationship)

No.

Not yet. Hoping to have my legal name change done in the next couple months.

I just mulled it over and it was the first thing that came to me. Really liked the sound of Byron.

Not telling. (and probably not something to ask a trans guy ever, unless he told you)

Hope this helped.

6. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not out at all and am only in the extremely early stages of transitioning (basic stuff like clothes, hair, etc) so I can't answer much.

However, I would stay away from asking the 'when did you start dressing like a man and how did you feel' question because it just sounds like something a therapist would ask, not a guy who potentially wants to date you.
    Also I'd not ask about the birth name until you get to know him very well. Reason is a lot of us really hate our birth names and it can trigger discomfort.

Male pronouns are correct. We are men, after all :wink:

7. hiddenxrainbows

Well, some trans people are going to be honest and tell others that they are trans. Others like to be what is called stealth and not be out about being trans. They're not in the closet exactly. They just pass as the gender they identify as, so they don't feel the need to tell anyone that they are trans. So everyone thinks that they are just cis. Trans people might be stealth for many reasons. Because they don't want to get discriminated against for being trans. They don't think that their being trans is that important; it's more important to them to just be a "normal" guy or girl; so they just let everyone assume they are cis. And many other reasons as well.

As for being comfortable in their bodies, trans people go through a long process to be comfortable with it. For many, it takes years to have the body that they want. And some never get the chance to get the body they want. I know that some trans people are indeed comfortable with their bodies, even without doing everything physical like surgery. But a lot will still feel at least a little uncomfortable with their bodies. I know that a lot struggle with physical closeness/sex, because it usually takes a while to get the parts that they want, if ever. But I haven't even started my physical transition yet, so to get more info on that, you'd have to talk to someone who's already done their transition.

A lot of trans people face discrimination and such everyday. I'm not out to most yet, so I get the assumptions that I'm female. Even after coming out and starting transition, a lot of trans people have trouble passing at first, so strangers will usually misgender them. Even after coming out to people, some of those people will purposely misgender them. Some of them will even continue to do that after the trans person passes completely and even after transition. There's also the fact that in loads of places, trans people can still get fired/not hired, kicked out of their homes, and such just for being trans. If they aren't stealth, that is. And if anyone finds out that a stealth person is trans, they can get a lot of shit for it. Trans people are discriminated against every day. Society in general thinks that we are freaks, that we can't function right and aren't mentally healthy because we're trans. But again, I'm not out to most people, and nearly everyone that knows so far is completely fine with it. So for more info, you'd have to talk to someone farther along than me.

As for hormones, testosterone can do a lot more than make a transman grow body/facial hair. It causes fat distribution, so any fat that a person gains after starting T will start moving to different places than before. Before T, fat will go to breasts, thighs, butt, etc. After hormone treatment is started, fat will start going to the stomach more than anywhere else. A certain lower part will start to grow, if you know what I mean. The voice will deepen. Muscle mass will change to more masculine ways.
    If hormone treatment is stopped, there are certain things that will change back to "feminine" ways, but others will permanently stay the same. The growth that happens down there will stay the same way. It will not shrink. I think the fat distribution goes back to the breasts and such. As for other things, I'm not entirely sure because I haven't started hormone treatment.

And yes, most transmen prefer male pronouns.

As for what questions are considered rude to ask, it depends on the person. Some trans people will get offended by being asked any questions at all, some will answer any and all questions, and some will only answer certain questions. Before you ask any trans person questions, you should first ask them if it is okay to ask questions about them being trans, and what kinds of questions they are okay with answering.
    A lot of trans people will get offended or uncomfortable with being asked what their birth name was and when they got their surgeries. The birth name question makes a lot of trans people feel like their chosen name isn't good enough or the person asking is suggesting that their chosen name isn't their "real" name, since their asking what their old name used to be. After all, if they aren't going by their birth name anymore, their birth name doesn't matter at all. So that shouldn't even be asked. If a trans person wants to reveal what their birth name was, then they will. As for the surgery question, that is considered rude to a lot of trans people because it's really none of anyone's business what they have in their pants, or how long it's been there. Of course, if you and said trans person are going to eventually have sex, then they will probably want to talk to you eventually about it. They'll probably tell you if they had surgery yet, and what they are comfortable doing sexually. But until you actually start talking about sex, please please please do not ask them about their surgeries! Private parts do not define people. A lot of cis people tend to attack trans people with loads of questions about surgeries and such, especially when just finding out that the person is trans. They have a tendency to make the whole thing about their surgeries and their private parts. So a lot of trans people get uncomfortable when asked about things like that. After all, we are still human beings. We are not defined by our privates. Our transitions are not just about getting bottom surgery; there's a lot more to it than that. So please do not just ask about what surgeries they've gotten so far, or when they got it. If you're really that curious about their surgeries, ask them if you can ask about their physical transition, and specifically their bottom surgeries. If they say no, please respect them. If they get comfortable with telling you, they will tell you eventually. But either way, it really doesn't matter.

8. Emma_K

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, (not speaking for the whole community, and I am obviously not a FtM, but still), I take zero offense, and am actually happy to indulge the questions of pretty much anybody, providing that they are not with malicious intent.

Furthermore, I am open to answering any questions you might have, assuming that you still do have any questions that remain unanswered from this thread.

Additionally, In no way are these questions "dumb", it is a part of human nature to be curious, and at least personally, I think one of the best ways to progress as a community is to be open, so that those who are, how to put it? Less enlightened (ie, total fraking douchecanoes) can reach a better understanding, and society gets more normalized to the idea of being trans, as the concept of being homosexual seems to be a bit more normalized to society these days (especially my generation). But to digress, again, you questions are not dumb, nor are they offensive.

(*hug*)

-Emma

9. Caillin

Make sure that you ask these questions overtime and do not bombard them with a million questions also make sure you are genuinely close to him before asking most of these.It helps if you apply these questions as best you can to yourself I hope I helped a bit. Just remember it differs from person to person so you should get to know them and know what they are comfortable with certain things you are talking about.

10. Calix

I think with any surgery related questions, you'd need to be in a relationship or really close friends with him. I wouldn't ask the birth name question in my opinion. This one can really bug me.

11. mangotree

Wow, thank you all so much for all of your replies and information and for taking so much time and effort with your answers.
    drwinchester hiddenxrainbows, caillin, it must have taken a good part out of your days to write such detailed responses and I thank you very very very very much.

I really really appreciate your willingness and openness in sharing your experiences and knowledge with me.

All of you, thank you again and peace be with you.

#11 mangotree, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. hiddenxrainbows

Haha it was no problem, really. I didn't have anything better to do anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I like helping people when I'm able to. Especially when they are asking questions like this and are actually willing to learn. I just wish that I could help more. There's only so much I can answer, since I'm still in the closet to most and I haven't started anything yet.

13. Sarcastic Luck

Unlike a number, I'm not touchy about these types of questions unless they're purposely asked to be rude. That being said, the only one I'd really be bothered with is the name one since I have my birth name lol.

I wouldn't really tell them anyway unless it was in the case of a relationship or a doctor.

I'll occasionally wonder if I'm right, but that's becoming less and less. I'm still toying with the idea of at least being mildly curious about women, but it seriously depends on my mood.

Well, I'll get weird looks in the women's restroom until they see the purse.

Fat redistribution, voice will drop, bone structure, ability to gain muscle better, potential for male pattern baldness, higher libido, enlargement of the clitoris, and probably others I'm missing.

Most of the changes would stop. What would stay is dropped voice, bone structure, and adams apple.

Ayup.

Did you always know you were a boy/man / born in the wrong body?
    No. I've always felt that something was off, that I was an actor or chameleon trying to blend in. More than anything, it felt like I was just gong through the motions of life. I've always had the opinion of "we're born, we go to school, get a job, maybe have a family, then we die. There' no point to life". It was a view that I've had since I was 8 or 9, I guess. Realizing that I'm a guy has given me something to work towards and since I came to the realization, I'm honestly a lot happier.

Medically, haven't. I try to look like a guy, and I'll get ID'd as one. I'm hoping to start medically this fall.

I've always dressed as one. Dressing as a woman makes me uncomfortable. I can appreciate how dresses and the like look, but just not on me.

I haven't, yet. I'm only planning on top surgery and getting the reproductive organs yanked.

I wish. My mom thinks I'm full of shit and that she knows me better than I do. She's tried to claim that I'm bi-polar or have aspbergurs and that's why I have "a sensation of duality". She also thinks that fact that I'm a guy and am attracted to guys is disgusting.

Nope.

I was always attracted to the name "Jason". It just felt right. My middle name is just the male version of my middle name.

For safety reasons, I won't be posting it.

14. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm not yet out apart from close family and one friend and I'm not presenting as male full time yet so I don't know how valid my opinion is on this. I'd say I'm someone who is easily offended and not willing to discuss my personal life with acquaintances or strangers so I would react very differently to these sorts of questions if someone was asking me in real life compared to here on EC.

Say I'd started a new job and you happened to be one of my colleagues asking the above questions, I would probably flip (apart from if you asked if I preferred male pronouns) but that's just me. If I met you outside of work, say through a friend of a friend, tbh I would still probably freak out if faced with these questions. As I said, I'm not yet out and chances are, I am going to get people asking me things like this and I'm going to have to get used to it and choose carefully how I respond.

As for the questions below:
    No, I wouldn't consider these rude at all. I'd probably be more willing to answer these as it's only natural for people to be inquisitive.

I wouldn't consider it rude to ask when I started dressing like a guy but asking how it made me feel, :confused: Idk that's a bit iffy. I'd think that's a bit too personal to discuss with someone I didn't know well.

If someone asked me this, I would actually go mad. Again, this is just me and I'm answering honestly, even though I know your questions are well-intended because I want to get across how it may seem to someone like me who is a very private person. The reason I'd find it offensive is because I don't WANT to discuss my genitals or chest which I feel very uncomfortable about. If you were a close friend who I know I could trust, I wouldn't be so hostile but otherwise, it's just not up for discussion. On a side note, if you meet a trans man or a trans woman who happens to be in a relationship, it would be wise to avoid asking the 'how do you do it?' question.

No, this isn't offensive. I'd be ok with this question.

Again...a little bit personal. I may/may not answer this.

This question is fine.

This is another question that would probably tip me over the edge. The thing is, I don't want to discuss my birth name. It's not a name I want to be called and it reminds me of a life I wasn't happy with. Again, I'd probably disclose it to someone I knew well and trusted but otherwise I would be suspicious of people's motives for asking me this question. Is it because they wish to find out so they can insult me by continuing to call me by a female name? for example.

15. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not fully out as FtM yet-but no, I suppose I wouldn't tell unless they ask me.
    I haven't transitioned yet.
    Being butch, being rebellious, experiencing a teenage phase, being misogynist (yes there actually are people who assume that), being an effeminate gay man (I don't hate this all that much really, in fact I'm a bit thrilled)
    I'll leave these to other men more experienced with hormones.
    If out, then yes. If not, then secretly yes. Personally, I do not get mad or get offended if people refer me as female. It keeps me safe under the circumstances I am in right now.

I would say, don't ask these questions unless you're really, really familiar with the guy.
    Apart from that last one, which I think is basic etiquette.

Is it rude to ask:

Again, don't ask unless they mention this and/or explicitly tell you it's fine to do so. It can be very dysphoric.

16. Nick07

Very nice post! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's a cliche, but I've always known something was out of place or wrong with me. Sure my sexuality was questionable (looking back, I gave both teams interesting glances when I was like five or so), but my gender was weird. I felt male, but I had my quirks. But to keep it brief, yes...I was in that bunch that had feelings like this for a long time. But there are some people who don't come to terms with them or really notice them until later on in life.

Technically I've been in transition since 2010 when I was 16; but that's with coming to terms with myself and socially transitioning. Socially, I've been doing living as male roughly for a year now. Medically, not yet--but I hope that can start this year.

I was always a "tomboy", so ever since I was little. I was always more comfortable in 'masculine' or 'androgynous' clothing anyways. I had moments where I did dress somewhat feminine, but leaving it in the middle or shifting to the masculine always felt more comfortable to me and not so constricting. Back when I was little, I was vocal about hating dresses to the point where I had a mini meltdown to myself in the stall of a school bathroom because I had to wear a skirt to school.

There's more than one surgery for trans people. For transmen, there's two for the most part; top surgery (which contours the chest to appear more masculine) and bottom surgery (which can include a hysterectomy and GRS, which could be metiodioplasty or phalloplasty--depending on what the person wants which can take different forms).

Currently, I'm pre-op; but I hope to have the money for at least top surgery within the next ten or so years. Besides a hysto (since there is a potential risk for certain cancers), I'm on the fence with bottom surgery with what's on the table.

Meh, I suppose. They're weird about the issues to me. They have moments where they do correct themselves (misgendering isn't as frequent as it was about a year ago) but I have to question if they're genuine or they're saying what I want to hear. It has me concerned too since they're aware I'm engaged to my partner, which has me wondering how they look at us (my partner is trans as well and my family misgenders him quite a bit).

Not yet. The laws have changed a bit since last year, so I'm not sure what I can feasibly do without having to provide proof of surgery (since I've heard you can get your gender marker on some documents changed without surgery). Like with top surgery, I'd love to have things taken care of soon. If all goes how I hope, it would be nice to get my gender marker on some documents done before the end of next year.

To keep a long story short, I focused a lot on people who I look/looked up to. Alexander (which I was drawn to for a long time anyway), as homage to an old acquaintance on a horror forum I was apart of who motivated me to explore the film industry; and Jerick as homage to an actor/performer who got me through a very intense and dark time last year.

I won't answer this question. A lot of people would agree. Some trans people aren't comfortable with answering this (for reasons besides safety, which is a big one). It can come off as being intrusive, but it could also bring on dysphoria as well.

If it's not a medical necessity or I'm sleeping with them, they don't need to know. I'm sadly out to more people than I'd like to be, which is why I fully intend on going stealth once I can transition and I pass enough by society's definition. It's mostly about a security and safety issue than anything else for me.

Pre-op/Pre-T train so nothing to comment on here.

Me myself, the occasional bout of stupidity from a bunch of radical butch lesbians who like to tell me and other transmen that we're turning our back on them and other stuff...which is weird since while I'm mainly queer identified, I'm attracted to men for the most part.

Discrimination wise, I've never experienced here and I'm sure I wouldn't as far as employment goes since my city and county have protection laws for trans people.

Misconceptions are typical, like how we were all one butch lesbians and we only transition to trick people into relationships and other malarkey.

Results vary for everyone. Typically there's fat redistribution, ceasing on the menses, face becoming more squared, potential hair loss, increased appietite and sex drive and so on. I've heard guys say their hands, feet and heads got bigger and some got taller--but I think the latter applies to guys who start HRT early on, like their teens.

Some effects are permanent, but some can reverse if you stop like fat redistribution and the menses could start up again among other things.

Yeah.

18. justjade

Yeah. If I trust you and think of you as being an important part of my life, then yes. Otherwise, I don't feel the hassle of explaining myself is worth it.

Actually, I don't know. I'm fairly OK with my body the way it is. I'd rather have a (relatively) healthy female body than an unhealthy masculine one.

Well, people generally think it's weird that I'm as masculine as I am. I think I'm actually pretty feminine for a guy, but evidently, I act just like a guy. As far as discrimination, I haven't faced any of that yet, although people do tend to lump me with the ladies a lot, which is very uncomfortable. Also, I guess since I don't pass that well, a lot of people think I'm a lesbian when they first meet me.

This all depends on genetics. I know a guy who took testosterone for years in hopes of growing a beard, but instead he grew an abundance of back- and ass-hair. Also, testosterone can also cause male-pattern baldness if you are genetically predisposed to it.

Some changes are permanent. Others are not. Body/facial hair, for instance, is permanent. Also, if you stop taking them after you've taken them to the point where your ovaries have stopped functioning, or you have had a hysterectomy, it's necessary to take some form of hormone therapy. Otherwise, you put yourself at high risk for osteoporosis. Anyway, this link has some good information on it: Hudson's Guide: FTM Testosterone Therapy Basics

Yes.

Is it rude to ask: (For future reference, if you have to ask if it's rude or not, it probably is, but I understand your curiosity. And, yes, you really shouldn't ask these questions to a trans man. Let him tell you. If he wants you to know, he will.)
    Did you always know you were a boy/man / born in the wrong body?

It came in stages. At first, I had the "I haven't hit puberty yet, so I don't know" stage. Then there was the "Puberty: I don't think I like this" stage. After that, there was the "I don't fit in with girls and don't know why" stage. Then finally, it just came to me, and I realized it's because I'd been a guy the entire time! :eek: Then I calmed down a bit.

I think it was late last year. Yeah, it seriously took me that long to come to terms with it.

Around the same time. It actually felt really good. It wasn't awkward at all. After that, there was just no going back.

Not yet, but top surgery, or removal of the breasts, will hopefully be a reality for me at some point.

They don't know I'm either one, and it's probably best if it stays that way, at least for now.

No, although it would be nice.

I just stuck with my birth name....

....which is, of course, just Jade. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, words you shouldn't use: Tranny, she-male, he-she, she-man, man-lady, basically any term that combines both male and female like that, and we do not like to be called "it".

That pretty much concludes my educational posting for today. Good night. :sleep:

19. mangotree

Thank you everyone again for fantastic and detailed information.
    Such wonderful support here.
    Thank you all so much for sharing.

Some of the questions that I thought were quite innocent were actually very insensitive.
    And I was clearly very ignorant about the hormone side of things, wow.

I've started chatting online with a guy who lives locally actually and I think we're going to catch up for a game of pool at a local bar sometime soon.
    I'm glad that I won't feel the need to bombard him with curious questions now. I'm sure he'll be much more comfortable that way.

Thanks again to all of you!

Peace!

20. hiddenxrainbows

Thanks, Nick! It wasn't much; I just do what I can. And mangotree, again, no problem. If you ever have any other questions, don't hestitate to ask us!