1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Bind In Front Of My Mom?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by derkindestold, May 24, 2014.

1. derkindestold

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm seventeen, I live at home still and I have a binder. I keep the binder at my friends house, however. I'm getting so dysphoric that I would really like to wear it out in public and at home, but I'm not out. I don't know whether or not it would cause problems, especially because my mom doesn't know I ordered anything. I mean, it was free, but still. Should I bring it home and just wear it, or talk to her first?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well, that depends. If you feel you're at a point in your life where you're ready to come out, then I'd definitely make sure you're ready for that conversation should it come up.

It really depends on the kind of person your mother is. With mine, I was eighteen but I only recently began binding around her- in fact, sometimes if I know she's coming over to my place, I change out of the binder. But she's kind of an abrasive person...

You could wear it and if she asks, just say you're wearing a sports bra. But I doubt your chest would be something she'd be overly preoccupied with.

3. Seige

I guess that this would depend. Does your mum know about you wanting to bind, or that you're FTM? If so then I think talking first would be helpful. If not then telling her might be a good option if you're becoming severely dysphoric. In the end it all depends on what will make you the most comfortable. You'll be ok. Ask any questions. We're all happy to help.
    (*hug*)

4. ErenJaeger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    honestly, my mom doesn't even notice when I bind. Unless you typically have a very large chest, you may be able to get away with it for short periods of time if you don't want your mom to know.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Unless your chest is really big she probably won't notice. I was worried about binding in front of my mom too, but she's never noticed

6. derkindestold

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My chest is actually very large, so I'm pretty sure she would notice. Might get yelled at for getting it without her permission, but I'm thinking it's worth it for me personally!

7. Seige

If you think that that's what will be best, and that your mum will accept you after she yells at you for buying it, then that's what you should do. Whatever makes you the most comfortable is what you should do. Good luck!