1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by peace2day, May 25, 2014.

1. peace2day

Hey all!

As the end of the school year is coming to an end prom is imminent and I have no idea what to wear! Everyone over the last few weeks kept encouraging me to wear a suit and be relaxed with it but all of a sudden those that I looked for support in keep saying wear a dress. This probably sounds insane but I'm closeted in my school apart from a few friends and staff. It seems so tough because those who I trusted totally have only made me feel worse. Only one person is telling me to 'be mysef' but I don't know. Any advice?
    I identify as lesbian/bisexual but I don't mind wearing a dress. Also in my school we have no LGBT support or any student who is out, it's a Indian based area but everyone I've told is really supportive with me being a gay...

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You do whatever you want to do. It's prom, and you won't get another chance to do this... unless you find yourself in some romantic comedy situation, haha.

But seriously, if you want to wear a dress, wear that. If you want to wear a suit, wear that. If you want to wear one outfit one half of the night, then switch to the other one, do that. If you want to mix and match, go ahead.

3. peace2day

Thanks for that... :slight_smile:

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, you should definitely wear whatever makes you happiest/most comfortable. I just had my prom on Friday and though I had a great time anyway, I definitely regret not wearing a suit. I only wore a dress because my friends expected me to. So I would definitely say that if you want to wear a suit, you should go for it!

HOWEVER, I don't know what your school is like, and though you said the people you've told have been accepting, just make sure you believe it would be safe (both physically and mentally; if you think you'll be bullied for it, that is a perfectly valid reason not to do it).

But whatever you decide to do, have a fun prom! :slight_smile:

5. ErenJaeger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please do what you TRULY want to, deep inside. I allowed my girlfriend to pick out a dress for me, but on the day of prom, I had an awful dysphoric episode and I couldn't stop crying and made us late. If I had chosen the tux I wanted in the first place, none of that would have happened. Always go with what is in your heart!

6. peace2day

Thanks all! Yup you're right by saying I'd be more comfortable in what I want to wear and wearing a dress would feel odd and strange. I don't know how people will react but I guess if I look happy then nobody's going to say anything! Thanks again! I'll let you know how Prom goes, it's on 20th June :slight_smile: