1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mab2112, May 25, 2014.

1. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's been bugging me for a while, but I have a hard time knowing if my trans feelings are genuine or if they are just a fantasy that I have.

Any tips for helping me understand all of this?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends. If it turns out it's 'just a fantasy' what does that mean for you?

3. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think that if it turns out that way, I'll initially be unhappy about it, but I'll eventually get over it. Like getting over a crush, it makes you sad but then you move on.

4. Calix

I spent a very long time thinking my trans feeling were just an extreme form of escapism from my own life because I'd always had a wild imagination I would turn too when depressed. It's why it took me such a long time to figure it out.

If you still aren't sure then just keep wondering. These things can be worked out as slowly or as quickly as you feel comfortable. Have you tried doing things here and there to see how it makes you feel? (ie, wearing girls underwear/make-ups/skirts)

5. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been strugging with the idea that maybe I am "just a crossdresser" because I have been crossdressing since my late teens.

I want to take the time that I need to figure this out, mainly because I am afraid of making a mistake. I'm afraid of saying that I'm trans and turns out not to be, or saying I'm not and later facing the same feelings as now.

I've tried many things, like wearing underwers all day, shaving legs/arms and crossdressing, and even though I felt comfortable in it, I always had a feeling of guilt clouding my judgment and a fear of being caught.

Right now, because of an unfortunate turn of event, my parents are aware of my crossdressing, so my self-discovery is kind of blocked. I want to say "Screw them, I can do what I want", but I feel bad for them, especially my dad who is borderline depression.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you've been crossdressing since your late teens, and you were just a crossdresser I would expect your feelings to have remained pretty similar. I would also imagine that you wouldn't exactly feel like you needed more...

Perhaps I just don;t know enough about crossdressing, but seriously I would have thought if that was what you wanted and you are already doing it, you would be at least KIND of content...

7. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My main concern is the opposite, I have been thinking lately if I am more than a crossdresser. Then it just spiraled from there.

But you do have a point though. Maybe I'm just complicating things for nothing.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but if it wasn't grounded in something it wouldn't have taken hold, would it.

I mean take actors. Every day they go pretend to be someone else, but they don't necessarily identify with those characters forever...

I could dress anyone I like as a woman every day forever and they wouldn't necessarily feel it was them...

Incidentally, YOU are not complicating everything, it's a complicated thought process. Don't be so quick to make things your fault :slight_smile:

9. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sorry, I tend to apologize a lot when I discuss things that I have no knowledge in.

I get where you're going with your analogy, because gender identity is separate from gender expression.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by that.

10. Stacy in MA

For years (and I mean like around 20 or so) I assumed I was 'just' a crossdresser because I didn't want to have a sex change and live full time as woman, and I thought there were only those two options. It never sat at all well with me, and I really struggled to come up with some sort of explanation of what I actually was. As I later found out, there is a lot of middle ground between those two options - perhaps you fit somewhere in the middle too? You say that you fear making a mistake in deciding whether you are trans or not - is there any reason you can't just say to yourself that you are probably not cis-gendered, not tell anyone yet, and give yourself some time to figure out in which way you are not cis-gendered? Would there be any significant negative consequences if that thought was a mistake and you were in fact cis-gendered? It sounds like you are putting pressure on yourself to come up with all of the answers right now, and perhaps that isn't necessary. :slight_smile:

11. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I haven't thought of the non-binary identities. I never knew about them until a couple months ago. But being raised in the binary gender system, I find it hard to understand everything. You're probably right that I may fall in the middle of the gender spectrum. It might explain some feelings as well.

I want to take my time for this, but to be honest, I have a very impatient nature and when there is a question, I have to find the answer. But there are times when it weights more on my mind than others. Also, since my parents got mixed up in this, I feel more pressured to find answers.

I don't think there will be any negative consequences for accepting to be cis-gendered. I don't particularly hate being a guy, but there are times when I think I'd better in being female, even though I don't have any rationnal explanation to back me up, it's just something that I feel. I think I had this thought since I started crossdressing, but I always dismissed it as being stupid.

I think I should just go with not-cis-gendered for the time being and calmly find my way from there. :slight_smile:

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I meant was, the idea wouldn't appeal if their wasn't a reason for it, and it wouldn't stay appealing after crossddressing if their wasn't a GOOD reason.

Think about it like you would say, a sport.

You decide you want to take up Kendo, because it looks interesting and you think the outfits look cool.

After a while you'll think one of two things. "Yeah, this is for me" or "No, it's not for me".

If you use the same idea about womanhood, you've got your foot in the door and now you're asking why it isn't enough. The point is there is enough there to make it worth further exploration.

13. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound a lot like me, I have to say.
    I just wish I knew what to tell you. :frowning2:

14. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the clarifications.

No worries. (*hug*)

15. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I can say is that I feel your pain. I've been seriously questioning for about a year and a half, going back and forth between thinking I am trans and asking myself "What are you thinking? Pull yourself together."

I'm not going to rush into taking testosterone or anything because it's a permanent change once effects start to take place. I'm taking it slowly until I feel certain one way or the other. I recommend you do similarly and take as much time as you need to figure yourself out.

16. mab2112

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm thinking the same way as you. I don't want to take any commiting steps unless I'm certain about it.

I have an appointment with a therapist from my parents employee help program today. Maybe it'll help see things more clearly.