1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying female clothing when you appear mostly male.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wuggums47, May 26, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I need to buy a dress soon, although it's not for me to wear, I thought people here might be able to relate to this more than anywhere else. I plan on cutting in to strips, spinning it in to yarn, and using this yarn for my freeform crochet projects. I've never bought female clothes before and was wondering what it's like. If you could share some of your experiences with it, I'd be interested. Did anyone say rude things to you?

I'm not too nervous about it, honestly if anyone says something, I'd probably laugh and think that if they knew the truth, they'd probably think it was much weirder.

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just buy it, act like there's nothing wrong (which there isn't). Confidence is key. :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't you just by yarn?

4. Techno Kid

Yeah? :confused:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time, cashiers at stores really don't care. I know that when people come through my line, a lot of the time they tell me that they are buying items for friends or whatever. So, you could always go that route if that makes you feel more comfortable.

6. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You could always go into a goodwill or some other 2nd hand shop, to find a dress that isn't expensive, and if anyone gives you a funny look or asks, just go ahead and tell them the truth. You like making art with unconventional materials.

If you already plan to go to a second hand shop, consider the first half of my advice moot.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

That would have a totally different aesthetic, and wouldn't be quite as fun. I make all of my own yarn, although I usually just make it out of traditional materials like wool and alpaca fleece. Yarn that I make is not going to be the same as the yarn you get from the stores, and I also like the satisfaction of knowing I made my work from scratch. If you want to get an idea of what kind of yarns I make, I make things like these on on my teacher's site. I don't think I'm as good as her yet, but I've attended her seminars, and a lot of my techniques are the same because I haven't had enough opportunity to branch out and grow as an artist. I'm also very interested in freeform crochet, kind of like Ana Voog or Kathy Foster(but I'm not as good as them) and I made something that's I think is awesome, which is unusual because I tend to be extremely critical of my own work, which is why I don't have my own site yet.

#7 Wuggums47, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's still awkward sometimes, but seriously, cashiers just want a sale.

Also, online?

9. Emulator

Most of the time they don't really care. For all they know, you could be buying it for a friend or some other reason.

10. Alyssa'sTooCute

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way i think of it is.
    Chances are you will never ever see them again.
    And that store clerk sees hundreds of people a day I HIGHLY doubt anyone will remember you.
    And I also doubt you are the first one to do it so go ahead!