1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns ftm

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ratatattat, May 27, 2014.

1. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Basically, everyone in public who I don't know calls me "he" and "sir", which I like, but my family refuses to use male pronouns. This kind of leads to me completely ignoring them in public, because when they say "her" or "she" I just pretend I have no idea who they are and walk away. I know my parents know why I do this, but they continue to out me almost to make a point. Any advice with that?

2. Techno Kid

Maybe I should start ignoring my parents when they call me "he". :/

I don't know I kinda have the same problem. :frowning2:

3. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Yeah, that's the only way I can see to kind of get away with it. I don't really like to be rude and ignore people, but it would be easier for everyone if they just used our preferred pronouns. It's awkward when someone reads me as male and then they say "that's a girl".

4. Techno Kid

What are they trying to do, shame you into not being trans? :bang:

5. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Well they think it's demonic influence so by calling me he they're promoting evil or something lol. I know that sounds crazy, but it's just there religious beliefs. I'm not even really asking them to call me he anymore, but trying to hint for them not to out me in front of people I don't know who just assume I'm male.

6. Techno Kid

Oh I see. :dry: Yeah that should not be not too much to ask.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Their publicly outing you isn't just awkward, it can be dangerous for you if you're otherwise passing all the time. A lot of parents don't think about that. Maybe if you tell them they're the ones making you stand out, and they're basically painting a target on your back with their weird religious spite-gendering, they'll back off?

8. birdking

yeah, my parents only stopped when I outright asked them. as clockworkfox said it actually can be a violation of your safety in some cases so you should let them know!

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hinting doesn't work even for accepting people. So if your parents don't accept it, you can hint all you like it'll never take.

Like the others said, you need to tell them...

10. Hexagon

Just refuse to go anywhere with them. Worked for me.

11. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Yeah, I get the danger aspect of it; I have actually been in a situation where two 20 or so year old men who thought I was a young gay male (from their conversation) started approaching me to say something, so I had to leave because from their conversation they didn't think highly of homosexuality, so if they would have found out I was not biologically male, that could have been either a really weird or f*cked up occurrence. As far as I know, I pass all the time, and mostly when people find out I'm not a biological male through parents or siblings, they don't really have a look of embarrassment from messing up pronouns but an "are you sure that's a girl" look.

12. Techno Kid

That sounds like a scary situation! :frowning2: