1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Makeshift Binding

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hen, May 27, 2014.

1. hen

hen

Not ace bandages of course, but I've been trying to sew a binder together out of a camisole and a pair of leggings. So far I haven't had much success ._. It mostly winds up as a bra honestly, and none of the modifications I've tried helped flatten. I've been screwing with this junk for maybe a week now, sewing and snipping and re-sewing and frankensteining in hopes that i'll see some results.

Is there any better way to makeshift a binder? Or maybe a free distribution service for used ones ? My family doesn't have a lot of money but the more times i fail at making my own binder the more upset i get with myself and the more I just want them gone.

2. birdking

here is a blog entry with a list of secondhand/free binder places. Not sure how current they are but yeah there you go

If you have a smaller chest, you can layer sports bras but don't do anything that significantly affects your ability to breathe!

I feel your pain, not being able to bind is terrible but you'll find a way. hang in there!

hope I helped a little

3. hen

hen

Mm, thanks! I'll dig around in that blog as a whole o: It seems to be a good resource.

Unfortunately, I've got c-cups at a minimum. Haven't measured in a while now so it's possible they're bigger |D But yeah, thanks!

4. Acm

Acm Guest

I usually wear sports bras, but on days when I really need a good binding, I wear a makeshift binder I made out of really wide elastic with a hook and eye attached at the end. It's safe (works for me at least) and works pretty well, and you can still breath in it because elastic is so stretchy. You need pretty wide elastic though. If you can't get wide elastic, you can just sew two other pieces together to make it wider. I had to sew two strips of 2 in. elastic together on the edge but it's pretty wide now and it works.

5. xJinxedFoolx

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey!

So I know quite a bit about this as I tried everything from ace bandages to duct tape! (Not the best idea, might I add.) But the one makeshift binding technique I found on my own that works, was taking two spandex skirts and pulling them up over my chest! Worked almost as well as my Underworks binder!

Now, for the free binder!

There is a wait list on this site, and it took me about eight months applying to be accepted and receiving my binder because they run on donations. But it was completely worth it! I was lucky enough I got a BRAND NEW binder donated by Underworks themselves! But here's the program, InaBind by Transactive. If you just Google InaBind Transactive it'll come up! The application opens up the first week of June!

If you need a binder now, however, I highly suggest the spandex skirts! But I also suggest applying to InaBind as well and using the skirts while you wait, I believe the cut off age is 22. The skirts are not dangerous at all, just a little uncomfortable. They move with your body, do not restrict your breathing. My actual Underworks binder (given it is extreme compression, as said on their site) restricts my breathing more! You can get these at almost any store that sells clothes, a little uncomfortable to buy, but worth it!

Good luck!

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this on tumblr, I hope it helps. (This is not my page)

7. wwhatevver

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I made mine out of a large pair of leggings, basically you find a pair with legs almost as wide as your chest (I'm an AU 12 and AU 16 tends to work well), cut off the legs below the thigh area and again lower down (depending on weather you want one that just covers your chest or all the way to your hips, I like to make one of each per pair, but that's just me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and you put it on over your head like a normal binder and it works fairly well, but if the leggings are too stretchy you'll need to wear 2 at once, or not stretchy enough and you won't be able to get it past your shoulders

Good luck :slight_smile:

8. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have used this tutorial before and I liked the results, even though I have a pretty large chest. I'M AN ADULT (this is not my blog)

9. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just tried layering and reversing sports bras, and it works for me, but how do you guys cover it up when wearing a t-shirt over it?