1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

small ftm clothing tips??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FtMart, May 28, 2014.

1. FtMart

Hey guys. So I'm going to college as a guy and im so short so I dont know where to buy giys clothesm im only 4' 10" and im not over 100 pounds(lbs) and I wear xtra small in girls clothes and a size 0 in juniors(gurls department) or 12 in kids jeans and a size 4.5 in boys shoes. How am I to find clothes? I want to convert all my sizes to male clothing sizes. Help please. Thanks Justin.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't know what size clothing you would wear, but maybe you should try shopping in the male juniors section?

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a similar size and I've taken to buying some of my clothes in the boy's (i.e. kids') section. It can be hard to find dignified clothing when all the t-shirts have Despicable Me or Spiderman on them, but it's not impossible.

Finding men's clothes in such small sizes is ridiculously difficult, so clothes meant for boys (maybe you can find small sizes for teen guys too) is probably your best bet.

4. birdking

It's so hard for me to find clothes as well. I've had a bit of luck at secondhand stores like Value Village and whatnot but I live in an area with not a lot of clothing stores.

You can order clothes online. I know American Apparel sells clothes for smaller men and I'm sure you could find more of that.

in the USA (not sure where you are) your pants size is your waist and inseam. For example, my waist is 30" and my inseam is 32" so my size would be 30/32

here is a size chart in case you need help with measuring stuff

5. Sarcastic Luck

...Ahaha. I'm 24/25.

Ai yi.

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm 28/26-28 and it sucks

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 20 and I'm on the shorter side, so it's annoying to find anything really without looking like a little kid trying to wear his big brother's clothes some of the time.

I feel your pain >_<

8. justjade

At the ripe old age of 25, I feel your pain. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 125 lbs. I almost always end up shopping in the boys' department, which causes me great grief because I don't want Angry Birds on any of my clothing. Can I fit into men's clothes? Yes. The problem? The sleeves are always too long.

My advice is to try to get on Amazon and check out some of the Asian brands like Zeagoo and Doublju. Asian men are generally shorter and smaller than the average American male, so you should be able to find some good stuff. If that doesn't work out for you, you can try buying boys' clothing from nicer brands. Again, Amazon has some great selections. It's inevitably going to be a little expensive, but if you invest in something like a stylish coat, it's worth paying $200 because you'll likely have it for years to come. Of course, if you don't have that kind of money, don't worry about it. I like secondhand stores for my clothes, too. Places like consignment shops are great for this because they usually only take name-brand things that are gently worn. If shopping at Goodwill, tread carefully. Even though they wash their clothes before putting them out on the floor, they seriously take just about anything, no matter how beat up it is.

---------- Post added 29th May 2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

Also, the Asian clothes brands on Amazon have a handy size chart with the picture of an item. And you may need to go up a size in some clothes. I didn't have to, but there have been plenty of people who have.

9. Jai

Jai

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds. I have to shop in the boys department. I don't know about the pants, but the button down shirts from Ralph Lauren and old navy fit good. And they look just like the mens do. Also, for kind of dressier shoes, florsheim is pretty good. The boys shoes are just like the mens. Plus their cheaper :slight_smile:

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're looking in the mens department, don't forget that guys pants typically use vanity sizing for the waist as well. It's not unusual to need to remove 3-4 inches from what the tape measure says to get the right size pants...

Now, most kids sizes are actually the same for boys and girls. If you shop in a nicer department store (I mean places like JC Pennys, Dillards, Sears, Macys...) you'll generally find the same styles in both the mens and the boys departments, though the boys department will generally be a little bit more limited....

11. anonym

anonym Guest

Finding Ralph Lauren shirts for boys has literally just turned my day around. There are actually DECENT boys shirts!:icon_bigg but at a high price :icon_sad:

12. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I shop at American Eagle. It's pretty expensive but the x-small shirts fit me well and they're way smaller than another I've found. It's the only store that I can find a size 26 in shorts- most other stores only go down to a 30.

13. birdking

I look ridiculous in anything larger than S and most stores I like sell M at minimum... the pain is real

also yeah ^ try american eagle and other stores that are more geared towards teenagers.

14. anonym

anonym Guest

Just wanted to share something I have found when it comes to guys jeans. I'm very short (5ft 3) and although I'm not really overweight at 112lbs, my thighs are bigger than I would like. I have found it better to stick to dark colours for trousers because of their slimming appearance and also, avoid jeans that have a wash effect where they are lighter down the thigh. In my experience, these draw attention to thigh width whereas plain solid colours give the appearance of being slimmer and less stumpy lol. Don't wear trousers too baggy. This makes your legs look shorter. I haven't tried many slim fit trousers yet but I find straight fit to balance out the width of my thighs. I think slim fit could work. Just haven't found the right fit yet