1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for clothes to express my non binary identity.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wuggums47, May 29, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I was thinking that rather than trying to have male or female clothing, I can start wearing things that would be equally wild and innapropriate for both genders. Think of things like This sweater by Ana Voog. I've been getting better at freeform crochet, and I could make myself things like that. Can you come up with any other ideas for unusual non gender specific clothing and accessories?

2. Stacy in MA

What an interesting question! This is actually really hard to think of without just dipping into simply menswear inspired women's clothes, or menswear in feminine colors.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yeah, it seems like there is no clothing designed without a gender in mind. Maybe it could be a mix, like mostly male clothing with female acessories, and I could grow my long hair back.

4. Stacy in MA

When I go out dressed androgynously I tend to combine menswear inspired women's clothing with actual men's clothes (plus subtle padding) to get the sort of shape/lines I am looking for, and then add small mostly feminine accessories and neutral colored but somewhat bold makeup. I actually think I would wear something like that more often if I didn't have to worry about being recognized.

5. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Well sweatpants and hoodies aren't for any specific gender, and jeans and polo shirts. :slight_smile: I guess those aren't original ideas, but you could get cool patterns on them.

6. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't click the link(not much of a link-clicker in general), but the only suggestion I can think of, is to look to history for examples of differing style.

7. 7YU

7YU

I'm a cisgender female that treasures comfort so much so that I look at male and female clothes for what is comfortable but not too loose fitting. Practically all my cardigans, collar shirts and t-shirts have a "M" tag. They're just in smaller size. At work, my male class mate and I had on the same boots and cardigan one day. He gave a nod of kindred fashion taste I suppose for our similar outfits. The only fashion taste I have is comfort. And with my tall, slim frame, the "F" tag cardigans are not long enough or thick enough to keep me warm in cold weather, and the "F" tag pants are sewn all wrong. Who the hell is designing women's pants so wrong and uncomfortably? At this point, I don't have any pants with a "F" tag on it, but you probably wouldn't know it because I get guys pants in smaller sizes, which are much more comfortable. In all this, I've found for myself only that non binary identity is personally critical to my level of comfort in my everyday life. Yay, to nonbinary identity! :eusa_clap I hope you find more outfit ideas makes you feel super comfortable.

Mix and match to your heart's content!(*hug*)

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

What should I do about sizing? What sizes are equatable to each other in men and women's clothes?

9. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
  10. Ames

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it can be difficult I guesss to find clothing like that as just about everything is geared towards M or F. Althought I feel women's clothing can be more andro than guys. there arent too many male specific clothing that I find that look f. I look for button down womens tops they fit me much better than mens, Maybe i have been lucky but between my wife an di we have found tops that tend to be more neutral in womens clothing, which helps me alot

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, the beauty in being non-binary is that there really aren't any rules set in stone: you can wear pretty much anything that feels right. There are unisex clothes, but I tend to go for more female-specific "cute" accessories: crop tops, knee socks, skirts. Of course, you can always mix-and-match how you see fit!