1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I even need a suit?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, May 30, 2014.

1. justjade

I was shopping on Amazon earlier after looking up different articles about items that every guy should have in his closet. There were two that I saw over and over again: A navy suit and an analog watch with a leather band. While browsing Amazon, I thought, "Man, some of these suits are really affordable! I could just buy one right now, and I bet I'd look so damn good in it!"

However, it bears mentioning that, while I like to look good, I work in fast food. I rarely (if ever) get invited to formal parties, weddings, what have you. None of my friends own a yacht. I don't belong to a country club. I've only had an office job once, and it was only for 2 weeks because I guess I'm just not a type A or whatever. Basically, I associate with low-maintenance folks--some might even say rednecks--that are homebodies like me.

But then again, I kind of want one. I mean, my husband and I are planning on moving to a larger, more urban area, and while I could just transfer from one Arby's to another, seriously, who the hell really wants to do that? I want a better job. I'm a hard worker. If I need to take classes to get into a place, I can definitely do that. I've already proven that once. I'm half-decent at orchestrating a small group of people, so with some training and practice, I could be a manager, I'm pretty sure. Not to toot my own horn....awe, hell with it. Tooting! :grin:

Anyway, if I'm going to go after jobs that pay well, I want to look professional. There's really just one problem: What if looking like a professional man is not what prospective employers want to see when interviewing a biologically female applicant? What if I have to compromise who I am just because a company isn't trans-friendly? How do I even go in there in a suit and tie and act and speak in a masculine fashion when my driver's license clearly has an F on it? They're likely going to call my references who are all inevitably going to refer to me as "she" because I don't feel comfortable coming out to my current boss. (It's 'cuz she's a bitch.)

But I digress. I'm 25. I work a menial service position. I'm transgender, female to male*. My suit size is a 36S, which I've already checked in case I do decide to get one. I have 2 tattoos, one on each arm. My arms, legs, and torso are short, which really has nothing to do with anything, just throwing that out there. I already have dress shoes, although they're black, not brown. I would rather have brown since they go with every---hell with it.

What do you guys think? Taking into account my age, appearance, and generally awesomeness or lack thereof, if you were me, would you get a suit?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Oh yeah, for sure. I dunno, I see it as the kinda thing every guy's gotta have in reserve. A good suit's gonna do a lot for you, last a while. Lot of application. Wear a blazer over a dress shirt and jeans and you got the date night look. Full suit for interviews and conferences.

I fully believe in looking good regardless of station.

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suit is a must. :wink:

4. justjade

Good enough for me! I'm buying it! :lol: Just kidding.

But really, yeah, I guess every guy should have at least one. Maybe just one. Kinda worried that maybe suits are like potato chips though. You can't stop at one. Those are some seriously expensive potato chips. Maybe you can stop at just one. Hm.... Well, I think I'll start with a navy one anyway, or a gray one. I read in Esquire that black suits are for funerals, and other than that, only kids wear them. Don't know how true that is....

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 07:32 PM ----------

Yay! (!)

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, heard the black suit one. And I dunno. I think it just depends on the cut. Gray or charcoal's a real good, versitile color. I was thinking something along that line myself. Wear a red shirt to give it some oomph and voila- sexy suit.

6. justjade

Indeed. :grin:

You're lucky. You've got the skin tone and hair color to pull off a red shirt. I love red, but as a natural redhead, I get washed out easily. I have a good lavender dress shirt that I'm sure would look rather dapper with a gray suit that has a very subtle window pane pattern though.

I just have this fear though, that I'll try on a suit, and I'll look very top-heavy because the shoulders of the jacket are so much wider than my actual shoulders. I worry that the sleeves will be too long, and I'll look like I'm wearing something out of my dad's closet. Well, not my actual dad's closet. He's 6'2", 250 lbs.

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

My ex pushed one of these on me a couple years ago. I always thought I looked pretty ridiculous in it (I wonder why)? :lol:

8. Techno Kid

What about a fitted suit? I know that's a lot of money. :/

9. Acm

Acm Guest

I think a suit is a good thing to have. You might not need it, but it's good to have around, who knows when you'll need to look nice for a formal event or a job interview?
    And besides, suits are great. It's always nice to dress up :slight_smile:

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the decision is one that needs to take the potential suit owner's life into account.

I am 43, and I have never owned a suit. Wait, I did own a suit. I bought the damn thing on clearance at Goodwill for a whopping 99 cents. (It probably did not sell because the style was out of date. But I figured...99 cents buys a real suit made of real wool. Plus one can have fun with being out of style sometimes.) And, apart from trying it on, I never once wore it. Eventually, I realized I probably would never wear it, and decided I'd send it packing to another thrift shop. It may well be making the circuit of local thrift shops in my Undisclosed Area.

Suits in my life are pointless. A lot of this is my area, which tends towards the casual. I seldom need a tie, not even for church. (Although some church congregations would expect one to dress up.) And I really don't feel like dealing dry cleaners for cleaning the suit. I much prefer having everything washable either in the machine, the sink, or the nearest rocks and stream.

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

One other thought: the argument of "I'll buy it because maybe it'll be worth having around" can be an expensive gamble. It's possible that one would never wear the suit. Or when one does need one the suit will no longer fit quite right, be horribly out of style, or even have been mangled by a psychotic field mouse that breaks into the closet.

11. justjade

Yeah, I was thinking about a slim fit suit. They are a bit expensive, but really, if it fits well, I'd say it's worth the money.

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 08:59 PM ----------

You bring up a good point. My husband's 26 and has never owned one. I mean, that's not very old, but I guess if he's gone this long without one... I dunno. I do think it would be nice for job interviews and stuff. I've never had anything dry cleaned in my life though, and it seems that no matter what I get, the pants will have to be hemmed because they come unhemmed. That's more money there.

As for the going out of style bit, I think that if I get something basic enough, I can always just update it with the tie and/or pocket square I wear with it. As far as the suit itself, I wouldn't do anything flashy. Either way, you've given me something to think about.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say that if one is going to buy a suit, one should get one that fits as perfectly as possible, and that looks as good as possible. More expensive than off the rack at K Mart, yes. But anything less really won't look good.

13. justjade

Yeah. I've tried suits on off the rack, and I look like an awkward little boy wearing his daddy's clothes. They're always too big because I'm so small.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might be. Then, again, it might not be necessary. A lot depends, again, on your circumstances. Generally the most I've ever done is a shirt and tie, with possibly either a sweater or jacket over it. But...as I say, my area tends to the casual.
    And you might like to price all the costs. Cleaning in particular can be expensive.

You probably can. I'm not sure how much suit style varies year to year, but I guess I'd aim for something that is simple, and as timeless as possible in hopes it would last a long time.

Then, again, it could be fun having an out of style suit that has a good "retro" look. But that look really wouldn't work too well for most job interviews.

15. Illus1

Hmm a suit is a must in my book, at least one good one. Either a dark charcoal or a classic navy blue and a suit altered well can do wonders for your look. Done right it can give a great V shape. Buy something in the mid range price (this is a suit so don't buy the cheesiest cheapest one) and get the right length. If need be have it altered, shop around for that.
    P.S. I thought black shoes go with everything. Black shoes can go with a brown suit & goes with brown/beigey things. But brown shoes can't ever go with a black suit/black pants/navy suits.

16. justjade

I see. Yeah, all the cheap suits look good...until you actually look at the suit and not just the price. I'm looking to spend around $100-$150. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want some $40 thing either. I dunno. I know the really good ones are like $300+, but that's a whole lot of money for me.

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    In guy form, I haven't needed one. (Other than for prom. To which, I wore a shirt and black trousers.)

18. justjade

Yeah. A lot of things worry me about getting a suit, like, what if I only ever get interviews for menial or rough work? What if I do become a professional artist (not likely) and don't need to dress up? It is kind of an expensive gamble, as you put it.

19. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hell, I would get me that suit. That's one of the most essential things a guy's got to have in his wardrobe.

20. setnyx

i'd get 1 based on your future plans. i'd go with a charcoal one in a never goes out of style cut at first tho. i never wear suits but the professional's i have more faith in ( not sure why ) wear charcoal.