1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Trapped

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RayXxx, May 31, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here and just wanted to share some troubles I'm going through with GID. I'm really feeling trapped inside because I feel like I was born the wrong sex, but let me start off by saying that even as a kid I wore masculine clothing and was very tom boy. For about 3 years in high school I guess you could say I was normal, but up until a couple of years ago things have changed, and now I'm really feeling out of place. Physically I look female but mentally I don't identify as that at all. I wish I could be the man I see myself as. Really the only person who knows I have GID is my mom but she doesn't understand half of what I'm going through, although I havn't really explained much to her. Anyway, I was just looking for support so it would be great to hear back from some of you, thanks.

2. ConfusedAtHeart

Tom boy does not necessarily mean transgender.
    You have "the brain of a male and the body of a female." There. That's a strong indication.
    As always there are questions to ask yourself when decoding your gender. Although you seem very adamant about it. So this may not be too much help.
    (1) How do you see yourself 10 years from now in your current gender? Are you happy? Sad?
    (2) Do you experience discomfort with certain female body parts?
    (3) If you had the chance to wake up male, would you take it? How does this possibility make you feel?
    (4) When being called feminine pronouns, are you upset or happy?
    There are also the gray areas in between each gender. Like bigender, Agender, and genderfluid. It would not hurt to look into those. A gender therapist would also be advised. There are varying degrees of dysphoria,. Everyones experiances are different. Some people know when they are two years of age, and others when they are 50+
    But as always, you're the only one that can come to a conclusion. We can only help set you in a direction.
    As for your mum, perhaps you could look up booklets for her to read. I can't elaborate too much on this. ^w^

3. birdking

It's okay that you didn't see any signs before now. I didn't start experiencing dysphoria until I hit puberty, and I've met a trans woman who figured it out in her 30s. Doesn't make us any less trans.

although I agree with ^ being a tomboy doesn't make one trans. He also raised some good questions to think about.

I think you should definitely see a therapist, that helped me sort lots of things out. Also, I'd do some research.

If you're not familiar with the Youtube trans community I'd suggest checking out skylarkeleven's channel. He has lots of informative videos about FtM things

4. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Okay thanks for answering back and informing me. You are right about the tom boy thing, it's sort of irrelevant, but I'm aware and have done some research on GID. I didn't really go into too much detail but to clarify: I don't feel comfortable in this body, I get upset when people use female pronouns on me, I can definitely see myself happier than ever in the opposite sex 10 years from now, and of course if I could miraculously wake up as a male one day that would be euphoric.

5. hiddenxrainbows

I'm sorry you're dealing with gender issues. It can really sucks sometimes. Confused brought up some good questions to ask yourself. Gender can be really confusing and complicated, but that's not a bad place to start.

And I can relate to what you're saying. I started questioning more than a year and a half ago. Before that, I never had a thought about being trans. But then for some reason, I started thinking about it, and now I know I'm really a guy. It took me a long time of thinking about it though, questioning, and then finally coming to terms and accepting it. And I'm 21 now. So not everyone knows at a young age.

And while being a tomboy isn't necessarily an indication of being trans, it can sometimes be a sign. That's one of the things that I started thinking about when I started questioning. Because I've always been a tomboy too. But I never really felt "normal" or like the "other girls." So I can relate.

If you ever need someone to talk to about stuff like this though, you can always message me or comment on my profile. I'm a good listener ^_^

6. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Okay thanks. Definetly does suck.