1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF Vulnerability & Protection

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AudreyB, May 31, 2014.

1. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

So, as the regulars here know, I just recently revealed myself to the outside world for the first time, which included a visit to a local Mexican restaurant, an outing I had not expected. (I still need to provide further details, but I digress.)

Anyway, I had to leave dinner before a few of the others cuz early morning wake-up, and this meant walking back to my car by myself, about a 40 yard walk. It wasn't until this moment that it occurred to me how extremely vulnerable I was as a small-bodied MtF person (I know I didn't pass completely) out in a dark parking lot alone with no means of protection.

I know in the past I have always expounded on the need for us MtF's to carry pepper spray or some such with us at all times, and it's become obvious to me now that I need to get some ASAP.

However, it occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea where to buy the stuff??

:help:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask Monika.

I have fists. You'll be safe.

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Oh, so you're moving to Atlanta to serve as my own personal bodyguard? I'm touched, but my servant staff is already full. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously, not worried about when I'm hanging with you girls. :slight_smile: But at these group therapy outings, and other occasions when I might start to prefer going out as myself, gonna need something besides my pumps to use as self-defense.

I really need to get one of these: :lol:

[​IMG]

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Audrey, i did a real quick search and found this;Amazon.com : SABRE RED Pepper Spray - Police Strength - Compact, Black Case & Quick Release Key Ring (Max Protection - 25 shots, up to 5x's more) : Self Defense Pepper Spray : Sports & Outdoors

a couple things to remember, carry your keys in your fist with a couple sticking out between your first and second and third this is a force multiplier if you have to hit someone in a self defense situation. keep your head on a swivel always be aware of who and what is near you or heading in your direction. when passing an opening, two cars, doorways, etc. always look; is there something there? also don't walk right next to the wall or cars etc. this awareness doesn't come easy or quickly, it needs to be learned day in day out. i learned it the hard way by getting the bejesus kicked out of me regularly growing up but it has served me well now.

hope this helps (*hug*)

5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Wow, thanks, looking for me! :eusa_clap (*hug*)

EDIT: Actually, your post is a good reason why I posted this as its own thread. There may be safety tips posters like yourself can provide that perhaps some of us never thought of before. (I know some that you mention would not have otherwise occurred to me.) Bravo!

#5 AudreyB, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your more than welcome Audrey. one thing to remember is that the pepper spray has limited range and for some attackers won't work, either they are used to it or they are so hopped up on dope or adrenalin that they can go right through the pain. However for most it will work, don't just threaten that "i have pepper spray" hose the SOB in the face.

the problem with the key trick is they have to be in arms reach. and since you said you are of smaller stature, a big guy will have more reach.

i hesitate to say it because i dont want to start a hugh hijack of what is an important thread, but have you considered getting a firearm and of course getting trained in the proper use of it?

if you have any specific questions i will be glad to try to help, i've spend a long time in the preparedness world and while im learning about the part of me that brings me here i can share my other skills/knowledge.:icon_bigg

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I've been to the shooting range a few times with my family, so I know how to handle a gun. But I personally don't like firearms for myself and would prefer not to own one. (Unless it's the cute heel gun. :grin:)

It is most appreciated. :eusa_clap

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my pleasure.(*hug*)

9. Monika the Diva

Yeah I have my pink pepper spray on me. I haven't had a chance to use it. I'm a very husky girl so i don't think anyone will approach me but if they come close enough i'll fucking pepper spray them. XD

10. BelleFromHell

ALL WOMEN, trans or not, are vulnerable, and need some way to protect themselves.
    However, I do think transwomen are more vulnerable.

Kasey and I will protect you. We sisters gotta look out for eachother! <3 :thumbsup:

I found an organization that helps LGBT people learn how to shoot, and I think they have a chapter in Atlanta: About | Pink Pistols National

[​IMG]

If you can't get a gun, pepper spray is the next best thing. I'm thinking about getting some for myself before I reach the legal gun-carrying age.

Damn, that looks FABULOUS~!

11. Monika the Diva

^ that girl is pretty, i will become the thicker version of her when i finish HRT. LOL

12. Emulator

Pepper spray and guns aren't allowed here, so people cope with other methods :lol:
    Never hurts to be on the lookout!

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Ah, well, you do fit the "must be local" requirement of the bodyguard opening. :icon_wink :grin:

14. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Push daggers, small and compact, with a T-shaped handle for better grip.

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 07:52 AM ----------

Also, I can't stress enough, the health AND self-defense benefits of practicing Tai Chi (Chuan)

15. Just Jess

I always just try to go out at night in groups, and I keep the flash on on my phone's camera and try it out. People don't like to mess with you if they know they can get in trouble or they're being recorded. I also know how to dial 911 quickly if I need to.

I do keep my bokken in the car if someone is persistent, but... if I'm in my car, I'm probably more likely to use my car itself as a weapon :wink:

Pepper spray... so I like spicy food. Like really spicy, I have some extracts that are hotter than the spray. So I tried some on some eggs once, in the kitchen. Everyone in the apartment knew what I was doing but we were all still unprepared for the way it made us all start choking. One of my friends was in the living room. I got the kind without dye in it, I guess the dye to mark your attacker does mean there is some point to it at least. But it is likely to disable you as much as the person you are afraid of is what I am getting at. Plus I got some in my eyes, directly, when I sprayed too close to the skillet. That was splashback, but I got more because the skillet was too hot so it started smoking. It hurts, but nowhere near as much or as quickly as T.V. would have you believe. Just from my experience cutting onions I was able to finish what I was doing just fine without problems, and the eggs while not worth it were delicious. Plus there are a lot of professions that violent attackers are likely to be involved in, like security, that actually train their own people by deliberately spraying them with pepper spray.

So what I am saying is, I was not convinced personally that - again except for the dye - it was worth anything at all as far as self defense. You use your own judgement. But even if you do think it's a good idea, it's also the kind of thing that you have to practice with so that you are willing and able to use it right, and also the kind of thing that you can't use a lot of the time. I can take pictures of attackers risk free. If I spray them with pepper spray and dye, I have crossed a line. If they weren't violent before they definitely will be after, and again pepper spray makes it harder for me to get away.

So yeah, tl;dr, my favorite weapon is my cellphone. If I absolutely needed a violent weapon, I think my next bet would be a steaming hot cup of coffee.

Actually no. My favorite weapon is those groups of friends I mentioned earlier.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell you what. I'll teach you some self defense in august.

<------ 6 years of karate

Nothing like having the confidence and skills to defend yourself.

17. Techno Kid

I have thought about this too... I don't think you can get pepper spray or guns in Canada though. :/

18. juliegt6

I posted this in another thread recently but felt it relevant here:

I'm in conservative west mittenland. I do have a ccw and a Colt 1911 Government Model filled with Hornady Critical Defense 45acp hollow points. Never had to use it, and hope I never will, but if things hit the fan and I can't get away or fight non lethaly, it's there. Pepper spray works too but it is less effective than I'm comfortable with.

The best defense is situational awareness. The principle of it just doesn't seem right applies here. If you feel uncomfortable or not at ease in a situation and feel it's best to flee, do so. If you're out and about just stay aware, and trust your gut feelings. The best fight is the one avoided all together.

One of my cars is a convertible and I have several motorcycles, which are less secure than a hardtop car. It's best to stay alert in traffic, when parking etc. When you have your Windows rolled down, pay attention too.

I own plenty of guns, from war trophies from my grandpas, to stuff I've bought. My view on guns is that I like them, I practice and shoot well, and hope to God all I ever shoot is a paper target.

For my gun owning sister's, I guess a pic of my carry gun is in order, don't have one with me but here's a photo of the exact one I have Link

19. Manta

The best piece of advice I can give is don't go out at night alone. Get a friend or two to walk you to your car or wait with you if your ride is coming. Stick to populated areas with restaurants, stores and the like which you can step into if you're being followed. Don't be afraid to yell.

Don't have headphones in or be watching your phone. Like everyone's been saying awareness is the key.

Confidence is another one I don't think anyone's mentioned. Aggressors look for weakness and vulnerability in their victims. Look like you have a purpose and own your space. Be as aware as if your head is on a swivel, but look forward (never down) and walk like you're going somewhere. If someone stops you to ask for the time (a common ploy) raise your watch or phone to eye level instead of looking down so you can keep an eye on the other person. Make eye contact, stand tall, and make it clear that people know where you are and are expecting you soon (even if they're not).

20. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Take a self defense class maybe. I mean I'm going to push my GF towards that if we want to go out somewhere with her all dressed up and such. Other than that the key thing is a really good idea.