1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding makes me embarrased

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jai, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jai

Jai

So, I'm 20 years old and bio female. I don't identify as female and I like to wear mostly boys clothes. I also bind. Well, I've just recently started to feel comfortable wearing only a shirt and bind. I used to be so self conscious, that I would wear baggy hoodies all the time to hide the fact that I was binding. But now that I'm not really hiding it, I'm always worried what people will think. I already look about 13 years old and this sure doesn't help. I'm worried what family that hasn't seen me in a while will think. Nobody has said anything to me but I know that they notice. It just really makes me insecure and I don't know how to get over it.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Honestly, I doubt anyone would care if you're binding. I know it's easy to kinda fall into that trap of worrying what people will think but believe me- you'll be alright.

If people read you as male- then you've got a male typical flat chest, no biggie. If you're read as female, people aren't going to be saying "oh well, they must be binding their chest" but probably just assume you're naturally flat chested.

How are you binding anyway? That can make a difference. A lot of binder models out there resemble tank tops. A lot of cis guys wear tank tops under their clothes- not gonna be unusual at all if someone happens to notice you're wearing what looks like one under your clothes.

3. birdking

I felt that way too at first, but I would feel extremely uncomfortable not binding so I did it anyway. I was worried people would notice.

It's funny though, the first time I did it at school, not one of my friends said anything. So unless someone keeps track of how your chest looks every day, I don't think it'll be such a big change.

I look like a child too, I feel your pain haha

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok, im wondering something, does binding hurt at all?

5. earthlvr510

yeah, I felt weird at first too. I didn't want people to notice but still wanted them too at the same time, it was very strange. I got over it after a while though, now ill even wear tanktops were you can see my binder in public without really thinking about it. Before i would have worn a ton of layers to hide them. And yes, Peacemaker, it does hurt. You get used to it but it seriously constricts your chest and breathing, i have sores under my arms from where it rubs. BUT not wearing it would be a hell of a lot worse, its kinda like a security blanket.

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh sorry then

7. ErenJaeger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't hurt at all when I bind... It is constricting but there are certainly no sores. Are you sure you're binding correctly? Perhaps you need a larger binder? I don't think THAT much pain is supposed to happen...