1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What now?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wobbly, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Wobbly

I can't believe it but I've finally spoken to my house leader at school after writing him a note about the gender identity problem I'm having at the moment. It felt great to actually tell him and sort of start talking about it. (Funny enough, last month I had a meeting with him and the school counsellor/welfare teacher and afterwards he suggested one of the things I might be trying to tell him is this. When my house leader told me he said that, I couldn't help but laugh :slight_smile: )

My house leader told me when I'm ready I can talk more about it to him and the school counsellor, which I'm sort of wanting to do but I have no idea what to say.

It felt so surreal telling him and talking to him today. But I'm not sure what to say next or where to go from here.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done for telling him!

What you say to these people will depend entirely on what you want to DO about it. Do you have any plans on what to do about your identity or are you still working that out?

3. Wobbly

Thanks EilliaOtaku

I'm not sure what exactly want to do, I want to talk more about it but I'm not sure what to say, if that makes any sense?

I'm thinking about trying to talk more about it with my house leader in term 4 (October) as he is away next term and I don't think I'll be able get the courage or know what to say within the next 3-4 weeks.

Everything is just too confusing now and it's starting to get to me. :bang:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure what exactly want to do, I want to talk more about it but I'm not sure what to say, if that makes any sense?

That makes perfect sense. :slight_smile:

There are two ways you can look at your situation. Either, you can see it as an opportunity to start reaching goals, OR you can see it as a chance to discover yourself and help others do the same. (Or a mix of the two).

A little exercise for you.

I don't know anything about you, and most likely, you don't know anything about me either!

So imagine for a moment you wanted to tell me how you feel about your gender.

What do you want FROM me? - Do you want advice? Do you want to just tell me your ideas so you can clear your head a bit? Do you want me to encourage you to take the next step, whatever that might be? What response would you like?

What do you think I want from you? - What sort of things do you think I would like to know?

Ask yourself those questions if you can. Just try and get into your mind the kind of things you might tell me, or you might ask me about. You know that I will be relate to some things, and not to others. You know that if I don't have direct experience with something that is happening to you, I may know someone it has happened to or just be able to empathise based on other things.

The reason I'm asking you to consider what you would tell ME is because, as you can see, I am trans, and a lot of people find it easier to know what to say to people they think may have similar experiences. But realistically, look at my explanation above: You know that I will be relate to some things, and not to others. You know that if I don't have direct experience with something that is happening to you, I may know someone it has happened to or just be able to empathise based on other things. All of that will be true for your house leader and the counsellor.

Have a think :slight_smile:

5. Wobbly

Thanks Ellia for all of the great advice. :slight_smile:
    I'm going to try and think about it more over the weekend and talk to my house leader again early next week.