1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM clothing/swimsuits

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Logan0001, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys,

So we're going on vacation to the beach this summer, and my mom has already started showing me pictures of bikinis she wants to get me. I'm not out as transgendered, but my mom knows I refuse to wear anything that shows my breasts and curves. I've been looking online and i've found some things that can pass for both genders to try to make her happy.
    What do you guys think of these Error 500 Page - Nordstrom ? What do you guys wear to the beach?

Also, I haven't been able to find an Ftm clothing forum, if one exists can you tell me, if not can you guys tell me some websites and clothing you like?

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2014 at 07:06 PM ----------

Oops, guess the link didn't work

[​IMG]

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *metrosexual dive bomb!* I'll respond to this at length later... :grin:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I like the shorts :slight_smile:

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Those look pretty awesome, and for a top you can usually find these shirts called SPF shirts, or sometimes called surfer's shirts. Basically it is made out of a fabric that is naturally reflecting UV rays, and it is like a simply T-shirt except made out of that really nice material that is also good to wear in the water. They shouldn't be too hard to find at stores like Old Navy, hell I'm pretty sure I saw some at Walmart earlier this week. Just look them up, they are definitely worth checking out at least if you are trying to find an androgynous bathing suit.

5. Bedroom Hymns

The shorts are really cool! And I think you should get what Holdingb above suggested :slight_smile:.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I've seen a lot of cis girls sporting board shorts so I doubt anyone would find it unusual regardless of how you're presenting. If you want, pair it with a tank and you've got something versatile and gender neutral.

Now, clothing that works and flatters the FtM frame might not be as straight forward as shopping as a cisguy. For one, a lot of men's clothing isn't cut or designed with the FtM body in mind. So I think honestly, the key's just trying a wide variety of styles on and noting what works for you.

There's a couple of excellent links up in the sticky on the front page of this particular board.

The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude This site's a good place to start if you're wanting a general idea of what might work for you.

Dress Shirt Tips for Short, Skinny and Small Men Definitely recommend, since I know a lot of trans guys, especially the guys starting out, are smaller on average than cis gys. (I'm not, lol. I'm wearing a men's large). A lot of trans guys shop in the youth/boy's section because of this- which if you're small, you might want to consider.

7. justjade

Like the shorts, dude. :thumbsup:

8. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, that's what I was planning to do. I have a long sleeve spf shirt to wear, and I'm going to get a basically sports bra made out of swimwear material to wear under it. I hate how the shirt kinda clings when it gets wet though. I usually just avoid swimming as much as possible, but I think that's as good as it's gonna get.

9. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually wear button down shirts. They make me look taller and don't show off curves very much.

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Begin review...

1. H&M: This is my favorite store for nearly all casual wear. They carry XS shirts and go down to a 28 in pants. The downside is that their jeans are all 32 or longer inseam. Great, budget-conscious store for shirts, shorts, under clothes, accessories, and coats.

2. Express: They carry XS shirts and have my favorite dress shirts (1MX) in a variety of colors and patterns. For pants, the smallest they go is a 28X30 and it's a large 28... Great for shirts, accessories, and jackets.

3. Hollister/ Abercrombie: I get my pants from here as they carry a variety of cuts, including slim-straight and skinny (my favorites). They very frequently have sales that make their prices on par with Target but the quality is far superior. Shirts from here are hit or miss but typically good. I also like their underwear. :3

4. American Eagle: Another great casual option. I've seen that they carry sizes as small as 26x28! XS shirts are good; I like their t-shirts and underwear a lot.

5. J.Crew: A pricier option but they carry a bunch of slim-fit stuff and their boy's clothes are mostly exact duplicates of their men's stuff. I worship their cotton-cashmere sweaters (but only have two... so far...)

6. Gap: I put this on here because although most of their men's clothing is hit or miss fashion-wise, they are a good option for those who still live at home and aren't out as much of their women's wear is more androgynous. They have quality control issues.

7. Macy's: Need I say more? They carry nice boy's suits and pretty much a ton of stuff. I typically don't shop there bc I'm kinda brand-loyal but know others who love it.

8. Ralph Lauren Polo: A potentially very pricey option but if you did the polo's, you can't go wrong here. They often have sales!

9. Tommy Hilfiger: The good and bad of this place is that the fashion changes very little in prep-land. If you're a prep-school wannabe, this is your store (I personally love their jackets).

10. Guess: Great for jackets and shirts but definitely pricey and not always of consistent quality.

11. Banana Republic: Owned by Gap but without quality issues. Their secret wash shirts are AMAZING. They don't really cater to smaller guys, though...

12. Dick's Sporting Goods: They carry really good high compression sports bras as well as compression shirts and shorts.

13. Clarks: Great shoes and they run down to a 6 (though, you may have to order them).

14. Zappos: When in doubt, look on Zappos! They carry shoes of nearly every size and many out of season and hard to find things but it takes some digging... Great return/ exchange policy!

15. Swim Outlet: They carry all of the swimwear... All of it.

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Gates is a fashionmister. :eek:

12. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have no idea... :rolle: I'm awful. I once conspired with my mother to seize and destroy my sister's sweatpants that had "PINK" in giant letters on the butt.

13. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    I never understood how, how on earth does one dare to wear sweatpants with letters written across the gluteus maximus part. HOW.

14. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amen!!! :eusa_clap

15. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

I always go to a thrift store, and most of the things I get there that minimize hips/maximize shoulders are from Hollister. I wear cargo shorts from there and get called male pronouns way more often with them. I'm naturally tall and used to be scrawny, until I started eating way more protein. Oh Yeah protein shakes really androgynized my figure. My breasts even shrunk some, and it's a lot easier to bind. The underworks full length binder is fantastic under an athletic shirt paired with swim trunks- which is what I wear to the beach. It also helps a lot with sun protection- but you will get a severe farmers tan. If you care about that kind of thing, use the highest SPF block you can find. As for summer wear, never do regular t-shirts. It clings to your cheat too much. I may not be FTM, but I have a lot of dysphoria about my faab body. I plan on top surgery as soon as I can afford it. Most of the way people gender you is based on how you carry yourself~ shoulders up and boxed, and there's a confident walk that I've noticed I, and a lot of men have. The days I slouch, I'm "little girl", even when in masculine attire. But when I am confident, I might get a sir even when my mom uses me as a makeup practice person. Good luck and happy swimming. :slight_smile:

#15 Jay47, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014