1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacing misgendering vocabulary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by earthlvr510, Jun 4, 2014.

1. earthlvr510

Does anyone know of any good words to replace dude/man etc.? in general conversation. With larger groups of people ive switched from guys to y'all but what about just one person? I've tried to just not say anything after "hey" or whatever but my tongue and my brain trip over each other and its not a pretty sight. I've had some female identified people and non-binary folk mention that they would like me to stop but its such an ingrained habit that ive been having a lot of trouble. Any ideas

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I'm not sure...I've been finding that hard myself...dude just rolls off the tongue!

3. stormborn

i say "friend" or "kid", though those aren't really good for people you don't know that well...

i definitely say "man", "dude", and "bro" too much :lol:

4. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've always used the term bro to refer to anyone, even my female friends. Though recently I've been using the term nugget to refer to people, cause it's silly (and as far as I know isn't a slur :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

5. Claudette

Claudette Guest

steal a word! Hombre from spanish, sounds nice, it's non gender binding in the English language, however in spanish it does mean "guy". But I feel you could get away with it. we do in this area anyways lol
    Or ese (pronounced like Essay) an Ameri-Hispan Ebonic word meaning dude, guy,girl, or anyone, but no one in particular. popularized by Stoners and hispanic gang-bangers
    Or take a word from our other Ebonic friends, that's right! the Ghettos, use "Playa" instead of dude or bro.
    Or you could probably get away with "Mate", The U.K. sort, not the "I want you to have my baby" types
    Or, you could always feminize your wordage, Dudette is a valid slang in U.S. it's just the female version of dude lol

6. Eclectic

Out Status:
    All but family
    "Luv" for one person is a little cringe-inducing for me, but it's usable for pretty much any gender.

I'm used to saying "guys" when addressing a group. Or if they're friends I know really well and who won't take it as rude, I say "Oi!" to get their attention. I have a super weird relationship with a friend who calls me "son". I've started calling her "Pops"...

7. Mejj

I´ve heard people using "man" or "dude" for woman, so it could practically be used for everyone... You should only make clear that it isn´t something you only say to man, or they will get really irritated.
    I know someone who likes to say "hey peep" (there´s no right way if writing that I guess, sorry). It´s supposed to be short for "people", but they use it for one person too. :slight_smile:

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could "Human" work? Terms of endearment like "Pumpkin", "Dear", as well as some foreign ones like the French "Mon Chou" (My cabbage) or the German "Bärchen" (little bear). There are always many words for "friend" like "Ami(e)".

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always used "dude" and "man" to refer to all genders.

10. tone

I've always used dude, bro, and guys for girls too. You could use friend (or friends if you're talking to a group). Sometimes I call my friends children or child but that's just me and is probably weird.