1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worried about going to a trans* support group

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkcomesoon, Jun 4, 2014.

1. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A local teen health clinic has been hosting a lgbtq group for teens that I've been going to for about half a year now, and I've really liked it. I'm completely out as a "lesbian" so I wasn't really worried about going to the group (plus, it's for lgbtq teens and allies, so it wouldn't have been a problem even if I wasn't out). Now they're making a group for trans / gender nonconforming people, and I really want to go, but I'm kinda scared. The the group is for trans* people, not trans* people and their allies, so I'm not sure I would be able to go without outing myself to my parents, and I'm definitely not willing to do that. I have a couple friends who would be going, so I would have to out myself to them too, but I could probably be okay doing that. I'm not quite sure how to go about telling them. I came out as liking girls, but somehow this feels very different. Still, I'm mostly just worried about my parents.

So these are my questions: If I decide to go, what do I tell my parents so they won't suspect anything? How do you work up the courage to come out to the first person you tell about your gender?

2. stormborn

you could say that you are just questioning? that's how i got into therapy without outing myself to my mom.

when i came out to the first people (besides the therapist), i was very... calculated. i planned the exact time and place and what i would say. of course, i blanked as soon as it came time to actually tell them, but since they were actually there in front of me, i kinda had to tell them (or so i reasoned to myself).
    i think if you say "hey, i have something i want to talk to you about, let's talk at [time and place]" it'll help keep you determined to come out maybe?