1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That 'off feeling'

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by futuristiclover, Jun 5, 2014.

1. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My head's about to explode, so if you don't mind I'd love to share some thoughts with you. Please, let me know what you think.

To me, knowing that becoming a woman is actually an obtainable goal, is beyond scary. It just makes my brain go in overdrive. I don't really know what to do about it. For example, when I got up today, I felt fine (not necesarily very good) being me. And then, when I saw this trans* student during class, I started feeling stressed again.
    I feel like, had I never heard of the whole 'transgender' concept, I might never have even wondered what gender I am. Also, I feel like the 'transgender' concept is still a cultural thing really, just as male / female is. And becoming a woman, I feel like that's giving in to my doubts, without even knowing what I am. Also, I have noticed how thinking I might be trans* really has been affecting me negatively. For example, I know I'm feminine, but it's never bothered me. Now I feel like, when I act feminine, I can't as a guy; like I need to be a woman. I get this 'off' feeling, when I'm one of the girls; or when I shake my head like women do, or whatever. I do think I'm too feminine; but have always been accepting of it, have never tried to be anything else. That would be pointless. However, now it's making me all stressed, every feminine thing I do makes me think of my gender confusion. And to me, that's crazy.

For example, it should go 'feeling something's off' > 'gender confusion', according to me. Now it's 'gender confusion' > 'feeling something's off; like I should be a woman', which could ofcourse have something to do with me accepting my want to present as a woman (not even sure what that means really).

Anyways, these are my thoughts for now. Thanks for reading/listening/responding.:kiss:

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 09:56 AM ----------

Also, I do want to add, it's a little tiring, having to think this much about who I am. It's also scary. On the other hand, it doesn't really matter how I come out of this, at least I'll know myself really well. So I'm happy about that.
    What bothers me most is, even if I would let go of all my fear and would explore my feminine side, I wouldn't even know if transitioning when needed would be the right option. I've read about transgender feelings disappearing at a certain age, or people regretting transitioning, even detransitioning. Besides, erectile dysfunction isn't really something I am willing to deal with, when going on estrogen. I wouldn't want to 'fix' my genitals.

2. Unkempt Harold

OMG me to! I literally JUST made a post about this! I atrribute my off feeling with childhood 'programming' as I like to call it. From what ive been able to gather TIME is the medicine for this problem. It seems like after time we'll begin to be comfortable with what we eventually find out we are.

3. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I read your post! I wouldn't call it 'programming' exactly, just culture. I see you're from the South in the United States, so I think the cultures in which we were raised are more or less the same.
    However, it's problematic in a way. Culture is essentially what made you who you are, also on a cognitive level; once you've learned it's norms and values, these never go away, much like is the case with mother tongue. However, I believe it to be possible to kind of rise above culture. Which is also why I am hesitant to say I even have trans feelings; I often believe these could just be due to culture. Or whatever it is really, sometimes I even believe these feelings might just be a way of expressing my unease with who I am. That the unease is not even necessarily due to my gender, whatever that may be, but is something that could have more to do with culture, the way I was brought up.

I'm sorry if that went too deep for you, just me wondering what the roots are of my so-called gender confusion.

4. ConfusedAtHeart

*Clears throat*

When dealing with gender, a point you want to keep in mind is that, this stuff takes a while.
    I'm going to bring up the fact that there are femme boys, tom boys, girly girls and masculine men. So you don't have to be uber feminine or super masculine.

As always, there will be questions to answer.
    (1) Do you experiance discomfort with the male parts of your body?
    (2) would you want female parts?
    (3) Have you ever felt the need to dress in female clothing?
    (4) If someone used feminine pronouns on you, how would you feel?
    (5) Can you see yourself 10+ years from now? Are you happy, or sad?

Then there are the grey areas in between. Like Agender, bigender, and genderfluid. I would advise looking into these as well as a gender therapist. Hell, you can hqve your own gender! Some people know when they are 2 and other when they are 50. Some people have signs, others not at all. Everyones experiances are different. We cannot decide for you, we can only set you in a direction.

If you can, try wearing women's clothing. See how it makes you feel. ^w^

5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I was also raised in and live in the South. Where I grew up, there was extraordinarily little room to maneuver within the male role. I've got an incredible amount of guilt and shame to still work through because of how utterly I failed to conform to this image of who I was supposed to be. Right now, my GT is helping me to painfully strip away these societally-imposed layers and find the living, breathing me underneath. I would strongly recommend seeking out a gender therapist, if you can at all afford one and there is one in your area.

6. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, here we go!
    (1) Do you experiance discomfort with the male parts of your body? - No, not my genitals. When it comes to body hair, I'd say yes. But nothing groundbreaking.
    (2) would you want female parts? - Boobs are cool, but no. I don't want to get rid of my male parts.
    (3) Have you ever felt the need to dress in female clothing? - Not the need. It's just something I don't like to think about. I would love to try it sometime, probably never going to happen though.
    (4) If someone used feminine pronouns on you, how would you feel? - On the one hand, insulted. On the other hand, I love it when people call me 'girl' as in: You rock, girl! Stuff like that really. Also, I love to be seen as one of the girls, as my friends are all girls. She, her, etc. would be fine though, a little odd at first, but I guess it could fit.
    (5) Can you see yourself 10+ years from now? Are you happy, or sad? - Happy, I think. Not sure if that's as a man or woman. I don't really plan on transitioning, even if I 'am' a woman though. But yes, happy, no doubt. Figuring out who I am is all part of it, I believe, and I do believe these weeks will be stressful to say the least, but in the end it'll all turn out fine. I'm too headstrong to ever give up on life anyway.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

I wish that were an option. However, I'll be leaving in a month to study abroad. Also, I don't want to be pushed in a direction (that is: transitioning) I am not comfortable with. I want to figure it all out on my own, as stupid as that may be.

I mean, this is a so-called 'life stressor', that's for sure, but I don't see me getting suicidal over this. Not yet anyway. I've been through way too much for that to happen, thank God!

#6 futuristiclover, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  7. Unkempt Harold

Yeah culture, programming. IMO is culture programming. Its very much humans thing.

There was a study conducted with apes. 5 apes were placed in a cage with a staircase or ladder or something, with a banana at the time. Every time one of the apes would try to climb up to it EVERY ape was violently hosed. Eventually after a while the apes stopped trying. After that they replaced one ape with a new one. The new ape tried to climb the stairs and all the apes when, well, ape s*it on him X]. No one was hosed. After a while a second ape was replaced by a new one. He did the same thing. except this time the last new ape before him joined in enthusiastically, even tho he had never been hosed. This process was repeated until none of the original apes were left in the cage meaning none of the apes had ever experienced the hosing. NONE of the apes would ever dare attempt to get the banana. "Its just not how we do things around here"

This to me is culture. Or social programming.

Also, "These things never go away" is wrong X]. They very much can and do go away! I mean, ever meet an atheist who had a religious upbringing?

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 10:28 AM ----------

This actually helped me a lot (*hug*)

8. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, you got a good point there. I think it depends on how you viewed religion (or your culture) as a child really.
    And interesting study! There is, I think, a difference between humans and apes though; we can conciously choose to be different, or do things differently. Amazing quality really :slight_smile:

9. Unkempt Harold

(1) Do you experiance discomfort with the male parts of your body?
    A. No
    (2) would you want female parts?
    A. Yes. All of them X]
    (3) Have you ever felt the need to dress in female clothing?
    A. VERY yes
    (4) If someone used feminine pronouns on you, how would you feel?
    A. apathetic. In a game theres a character that refers to you as 'giiiirl' regardless of your gender, even when shes knows your male and I enjoyed it. But on battle star galactica female officers were refereed to as 'SIR' just the same as everyone else and this seemed honestly to make more sense from a equality stand point.
    (5) Can you see yourself 10+ years from now? Are you happy, or sad?
    A. Happy for sure X]

10. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wouldn't it be easy to just identify as non-gender. If I had to choose, I'd probably choose being a woman over being a man. However, it's not that easy. I don't really care what gender I am really, as long I can just be me.

11. Unkempt Harold

Non-gender or like androgynous yeah. For me I think its to early to really tell what I might be.I fell like I've always sorta felt comfortable as a man, but lately have had strong feeling for being a women. I can remember plenty of instances in my childhood where I've had dreams of cross dressing/ being a women. And A LOT of who I am seems to sync up better with being a female than male. Right now I think its possible to end up as a complete female, but maybe something else. Only time will tell.

I want to get my hands on some FREAKIN female CLOTHS! I literally have no way of doing so where I currently am =/. I'll find a way... A non thiefy way of course XD. although underwear goes missing from the dryer all the time......... *NO! bad! morality, remember?*

12. ConfusedAtHeart

Glad I could help ^u^ (*hug*)

13. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are a few things I remember about my childhood. I loved dolls and all, I was a typical girl, you could say. However, I don't think I ever identified as a girl at that age. I knew at a very early age I liked boys though. And not as a girl; no, as a boy. At the time, of course, I didn't know what it meant. At a later point in my life, I came out as gay, something I don't regret until this day. I think when I accepted myself as gay, just before coming out, I all of a sudden started having doubts about my gender, then deriving from my playing with dolls in my childhood. I also liked pretending to be female; it was my safe haven when I felt really bad about myself. I've always liked that, it just felt amazing really. Reality wasn't as good, though. At some point, I must've grown too attached to me pretending to be female, I guess. My real life (as a man) really sucked; I hadn't come out yet.

About dressing up like a woman. It would be fun. Also, I'd love to try out make-up. Women's underwear, not really though. Maybe I am not there yet, it just seems weird. And most of all, uncomfortable.
    Also, I believe this could actually cause my feelings to get stronger. I don't want this to get out of control, I really don't, I want to shape my own destiny. I've had a very clear image of what I want for myself in life; I want to be a happily married gay man. Having gender doubts, confusion won't be a problem, me wanting (feeling the need) to be a woman would fuck that up obviously (sorry for my language!).

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 10:59 AM ----------

Would you care to look at my responses too? :icon_redf

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

Also, I feel like I'm not even realistic about being a woman. I just feel like I can't be as a man. Which is crazy, isn't it, cos there is no reason I wouldn't be able to me...
    It's just too bad my childhood really fucked me up.

14. Unkempt Harold

Yeah, that's my biggest fear to =/. I mean being a transgender women who seeks women is probably gona dry up the river of potential dates :icon_sad:
    If this fear is rational anyway, which it may very well not be

15. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not even that I'm scared of not being dateable. Obviously, if I was me, that wouldn't really matter. As in, it'd be worth the cost.
    It's just that, I really like the prospect of being a gay man that's in a relationship with another gay man. It's what kept me going during my coming out and the year that followed after.

16. Unkempt Harold

That's a lot more grey I guess =/. I hate to use religion again but I use to use christianity to get through hard times in the past before I stopped believing in it. I guess its all about adaptation. You made decision based on the context you had at the time. With time comes more context, different decisions.

Also im very curious to hear the response of your answers from ConfusedAtHeart X]

17. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know, I don't hate christianity. I have a strong dislike for religion sometimes, but I think faith (which is different from religion) is amazing and I'm a very spiritual person. And sure, that was the context, I agree. However, what I am experiencing right now, does seem more like a 'demon' (from the past) than me developing into a real person. However, this may also be denial of course.
    I always say there may be two sides to every story. Usually a very good quality, now it's annoying. On the one hand, I want to present as a woman, on the other hand, I don't as I feel it's something I should overcome (for the reasons mentioned above).

18. Unkempt Harold

I hope you feel better soon clover X]

19. ConfusedAtHeart

Sorry, I was preoccupied.!

You don't want any female parts or like the idea of transitioning. Which leads me to believe that you are a crossdresser.

Being trans* does not mean transitioning either. Don't do anything that would make you ultimatley unhappy.

But being masculine, or a femme boy is normal. So is crossdressing. It's not shameful. So maybe if you are home alone, steal some of your moms makeup ( put it back after) and try it out. See how you feel in it.

You could also be one of the grey areas in between. Genderqueer leaning towards femme. I don't like labeling people though. So be a scientist and experiment!

I played with dolls to, and I turned out to be a male, so don't stress to much about that.

(*hug*)

20. futuristiclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just had a breakdown. Like, I never really cry, this time I couldn't even stop. I think I may be a woman. I just got shivers all over my spine, didn't know what to do.
    Immediately texted a friend, I am talking to her right now. But wow, really wow.