1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely homophobic family get together

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ratatattat, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

My extended family barely talks to us, but because my sisters graduating, my parents invited all of them to meet and stay for a week. My dad's side is like Sopranos (exaggeration, but they are Italian-like and very religious) style homophobic while my mom's side is Southern and homophobic. I haven't seen these people in over seven years, and my entire appearance and ideas on life has shifted dramatically. I'm pretty sure when they come, they'll ask me about, any advice what I should say? I don't think it's possible for me to avoid them both because it seems rude and they're going to be staying in my room most likely. Basically my solution now is to pretend it's not awkward.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

*they'll ask me about my appearance

2. ConfusedAtHeart

Are you out to your immediate family? If not, then to hide/cover up short hair, say it's cause you save money on shampoo and conditioner, that it's easier to manage. No makeup cause it hurts your eyes. Or just ignore their comments completely. I'm so sorry you have to deal with a homophobic family. :c

3. ProtegeMoi

Can you make an automaton and have it fill in for you?

I'm not sure of your personality but I just speak the truth when people ask me. I think if you speak with confidence and don't act like its a big deal then hopefully they follow suit.

4. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

LOL well, sadly, I have loaned my automaton's to the Mars One mission; I'm not much for dust canyons, but I like the check.
    I was considering telling them because this is most likely the last time I'll see them anyway, but they're a group who likes to overdramaticize things. Still, there is always the hope it makes them so uncomfortable they're left speechless.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2014 at 01:39 PM ----------

Yes I'm out to immediate family, but they're the same, it's just the shock value I'm worried about if that makes sense. I've always dressed like a male, but I went through a period of about one year where I dressed slightly feminine, and my dad declared that to the world, so I guess this will secure that I'll probably never look like a girl. But typing this makes me think maybe it will be a good thing as in the shock might notify my parents how I actually don't look like a straight white girl haha.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    because it seems rude

Just a thought, but if you're so certain they will be rude to you, why is that a problem?

6. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly this may sound harsh but if they're rude to you, it's your house so you can tell them if they don't be polite and behave they can leave. No one says they have to stay there. And I'd tell them like you said, it's the last time you'll see them. If they complain or are rude you can ask them to leave or grin and bear it.